PDA

View Full Version : 900ss forks into m900 bar clearance?

stoney!
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I have a set of 900ss forks to go on my m900 special but offering them up to the bike it looks like i may have a slight problem, the adjusters look very much like they are going to hit the bars! anyone got any bright ideas? or done this mod before?

Kato
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
SS used the same forks so should'nt be a problem, admittedly dropping the front will bring the adjusters into contact with the bars, if you need / want to drop the front a lot more the its time for clip-ons to give you the extra clearance.

CK & AK
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
SS used the same forks so should'nt be a problem,

You sure Kato?
AK has found differing lengths of forks - depending on age of bike - carbie or fuel injected
I remember we took back a pair that we'd sold a couple of years ago, as they were not the same length as the guy needed for his monster.

C, could be wrong tho............

Kato
07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
In that case I stand corrected.........but pretty sure the 900's were the same fork..

stoney!
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
the forks are 2000 model 900ss and the bike is a 95 model forks are the same length but the adjusters stick out by about 1.5" and as im not all that heavy I reckon i will need the adjusters most of the way out. anyone tried fitting later s2r yokes or similar?

crust
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I wanted to drop the front end of my bike - a 94 M900 but the forks hit the bars.

Solution = Your bars bolt through a cap and a spacer block under them. I bought longer bolts and made up a spacer to go under the block beneath the bars.

Ebay has aluminium blocks in all sorts of thickness

:)crust

alreadyinuse
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
i'm not 100% on this but.
On early monsters the forks stick up about 1 1/2" past the top yoke.
On the later monsters they sit flush.

The 900ss forks are different they are adjustable thats the whole point in fitting them.

ck and ak are right the injection forks are shorter. so you should be fine.
But one thing is that the wheel spindles are bigger and caliper spacings are bigger on most injection forks.
I dunno if the fork bottoms will swap over.