PDA

View Full Version : Email help please

Kazza
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Sorry this isn't bike related, but has anyone had the following using Virgin email? I can receive emails but not send. Can't get through to Virgin (but not convinced they would help anyway). It has been like this for the past 3 days.

"An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 aamtaout03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [213.106.19.250]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67"

Any help gratefully received.

adam15
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
From the error code, I would assume without any further information that the mail server being used is not avalible when you computer sends a message to it to retrieve data (emails).
In other words the actual server is not working.....you can try getting hold of virgin but the likely response is that they will either not be able to help you as you on the phone to a call centre or if your lucky you might get some sense out of them consisting of...'oh, it's being fixed' or something like that.
But atill try and get in contact with them.
It would not surprise me if they have been hacked after their resent annoucement of 'we will inform the authorities of your illegal activity....my advice change to someone else :)

Snips
04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Hard to help from outside the NTL / Virgin network, but try the following:

- Reboot your PC :-)
- Set-up your email account again from scratch within Outlook (I'm assuming you're using Outlook) (you don't necessarily need to delete the existing account)
- If you've been sent updated info since the takeover of NTL, a new smtp server, for instance, now's the time to make the changes ;-)
- Once you've tried those things at your end, call Virgin, or go online and raise a support ticket - maybe they have online support that will be responded to over the weekend?

Kazza
05-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try setting up a new account. Never had any problems until this last week. Tried contacting Virgin last night - kept getting put through to a service message stating no problems in your region!

Will let you know how I get on.

slob
05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Take a look at the Advanced email account settings and see whether the 'Outgoing server requires authentication' box is checked, there should be an option to use the same settings as the incoming server. Many ISPs now use outbound authentication to make life harder for spammers.

Kazza
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Take a look at the Advanced email account settings and see whether the 'Outgoing server requires authentication' box is checked, there should be an option to use the same settings as the incoming server. Many ISPs now use outbound authentication to make life harder for spammers.

Thanks - box is checked - still no change. Just about to throw the laptop out of the window.

Stafford
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I couldn't even ping the ip address so maybe it's down.

slob
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Seems ok to me, both ping and mail (TCP port 25).

You're not alone Kazza, if you google the error message you get quite a few hits (all relating to NTL too, they're now part of Virgin Media, which is one of the UK's most complex networks)
have a read of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514 if you can be bothered, although I'm afraid a call to NTL's helldesk is probably your best option

Kazza
06-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Was hoping to avoid all contact with the helldesk as you appropriately put it, but looks like it's the only option now.
Thanks anyway :-)