PDA

View Full Version : What was your first bike?

sneakyt
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Thank you for checking out this thread!

Cards on the table - I have my heart set on a Monster, didn’t really want more than 600cc due to my inexperience, that’s it!... I know nothing more at this stage. I was really hoping for some advice either for or against it but please be constructive.

I have my DAS and test booked for mid august… I have little experience of riding on the UK roads, but around 6 months of day to day riding on a 400 Fireblade in Asia.

I appreciate I am new but it this an unrealistic idea given it will be my first real bike?

This would have been perfect - http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/classified/showproduct.php?product=90

Thanks for your thoughts.

benson
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
You have to get a monster because to do otherwise would be rude - especially because you are already sporting such wonderful footwear and you live in Londinium!!!

Where in Asia were you just out of interest???

Meanwhile GO AND BUY A MONSTER NOW - there are some amazing deals on 695s because of the 696 launch and it's doing very well - saying that a second hand bike isn't ever that far away - keep your eyes peeled on this forum and who knows what you might be riding in a few weeks time!!!

nambduke
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
.....as long as you can man handle the bike physically. IMHO the throttle goes both ways, so if you can control yourself and you have the money as insurance may be an issue, I'd go for the best bike you can and ignore the cc's. As an inexperienced rider, you can do just as much damage to the bike and yourself with any of the 600's these days. You can learn by self control, by setting yourself a target of 10,000miles (self control remember) before using full power. Alternatively, if you can't control yourself, you could get a restrictor kit fitted for yourself - might help with insurance but doubt it - and remove it when you are happy your experience can cope with the additional power. This restriction works for 17yr olds who are limited to 33bhp for 2 years (ask my son Richard Nambduke....he went from a 27bhp Honda Superdream to a Honda VFR800 as his first proper powerful bike at 19yr old)

There's more to choose from on the market if you consider this route.....

Regards,
Mark 'First bike Honda 400/4 back in 1976' Nambduke

PS....Self control....pppfffaaahhhhh.....I did manage 3 days before I crashed my 400/4 into a hedge and lost my trainer! But that's another story

Snips
02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome sneakyt!

I had a 620 as my first proper bike (after a gap of 23 years, the prior experience being a moped as a 16 year old).

I was wary that it was unrealistic to jump on a 620, but I took it cautiously and it worked out great. Give yourself time and space to practice getting used to controlling the bike, and the power, and you should be OK.

You could go for more power, though I wouldn't recommend a superbike as a starting point.

Nonnie
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Hello from Norfolkium!

My 620 was my first bike! I suggest you stop mucking about on forums and go and buy one, rightaway!

Those really are fantastic boots. Can you get them armoured by any chance so you can keep them for biking?

nambduke
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend a superbike as a starting point.

Good point but I always think that with the advancement in brakes, tyres and suspension, most reasonable riders will grow into any bike if you treat it with respect.

Many years ago, the best was around 80-100hp but very heavy so you had to man handle them everywhere. Modern stuff is simply a breeze in comparion to the stuff from the 70s and 80s. Crikey, if you ever rode on early Bridgestones, one Stoner wouldn't win a moped race, and secondly. it was instant death because the chances were you WERE going to have a slide as a minimum! Brakes...rain.....throw out the anchor cos they wouldn't stop you.....nice smooth stainless steel with crap pads......

Either way you look at it IMO it's down to the attitude of the rider. When I used to train and examine riders, I could tell you within 5minutes if a new rider was going to come back the following week with a wrecked/crashed bike.

As you can see I'm a rebel without a cause....there's no restriction on cars, so why do we bikers need to limit ourselves. Go big and live a little! Ah, yes and have some self control........you'll need it

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Lucati
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Welcome too!

I rode scooters ranging in cc's from 50 - 200 over 10 years and then 14 months ago bought my 695 as my first big bike and it is superb. It's more than quick enough for me but I knew I wanted one all along and the only other bikes I've ridden are the ones I did my training on. Go for it!
Mines going for a very reasonable price with a years warranty left on it if you feel tempted!

Cheers!

tasminracer
02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
My first bike was ( and still is !!!) an M695 :-) been a month and 650 miles so far..

still learning loads and no problems doing it on the 695..

I actually bought the bike before I took my test !!!! It was a killer having to leave it in the shop untill I took the test

G

p.s. good excuse to buy new was that I've had to run it in properly which was an extra incentive to keep the throttle off the stops

gremlin
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I got my first bike at 43 and it was a Honda Cm 125 custom now have tatty '95 600 Monster and loving it! It's novice friendly can go some if you've got the experience (other half got a ton out of my old girl last week) corners beautifully, and if you muck it up it will get you out of trouble. Can't praise monnies enough, other half has Fazer Thou which he rides like he stole it but always comes home home with a big grin if he takes mine out. Go for the best you can afford you won't regret it!

neilbaldry
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I had a DT50 at 16, then an RGV250 at 19, then a VFR400 at 20, then my current S2R800 at 23.

Welcome to the club, Like Nambduke said, the throttle goes both ways, so get what you want, with the money you can afford!

Bodybag
02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
My first big bike was a Monster S4 (916cc). As has been said, The bike will only go as fast as you make it go. I had my Monster for 18 months and did 12,000 miles on it. I didn't fall off once (although I did have a couple of scares). It's rider control that wins every time.

sneakyt
02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
WOW! You guys are FANTASTIC! What a response in such little time!

Benson: I fell on hard times a few months ago, the footwear saw me through the winter! :) I was working in Koh Samui, Fantastic Island but got a mouthful of bugs most evenings! So you think a 695? Will have a look on biketrader, any other places?

Numbduke: That looks like sound advice, I hadn't thought about imposing a limit on myself but worth a bit of research. LMAO I guess the trainer was the last thing on your mind! Interesting about knowing a riders temperament, we shall see I guess!!!

Snips: Thank you I was hoping that someone would be doing the same thing. It is difficult to say how much the urge will be to drive above my ability but I have heard stories from everyone I've told I’m getting a bike... scary stuff!

Nonnie : Norfolkium sound like self imposed chastity! I think you are totally right, I had already made my mind up, I just wanted to hear opinions contrary to my friends (car drivers) The boots are perfectly designed as liners for any armoured boot, you can get them anywhere, I got those from Waitrose!

Lucati : I would be keen for some more information, thanks!

Gemlin : Great advice, thank you!

Neilbaldry : Awesome thanks.

Bodybag : Makes perfect sense, my brother had multiple crashes on both bikes and in cars - he drives like a lunatic and has little self control. I've driven cars for 10 years without a crash although probably because I got thrown about through most of his. But as we all know bikes are different.

Snips
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Just to clarify my point about superbikes...

I believe the torque delivery of Monsters is much more linear than a bike tuned as a sportsbike. I'm told that with true sportsbikes, the power comes in one big scary hit. Great if you're experienced and expecting it, not so great if you're edging out of a junction and still getting used to bike riding.

Truth be told, I've never ridden a sportsbike myself (for those reasons), but I've got a few thousand miles under my belt on Monsters now, so will jump at the chance to try a sportsbike sometime.

I do know that I had a blat on country roads the other evening and the 696 had plenty of power to make me grin.

Nickj
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Sounding sensible there Sneakyt. Sounds like you've made a wise decision ;)

Gimley
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
My first bike was an SV650. Nothing wrong with it at all just saw the 695 and knew I had to get one.

The 695 is, in my opinion, a good first bike. Corners easily, stops well, accelerates good, is light, and has more than enough power if you want a blatt. Must admit that I havent taken it over 90 yet as the wind blast is just silly so im happy just pootling around enjoying the scenery that the South East has to offer.

G

nambduke
02-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Numbduke

Thanks?!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

;-) Note to diary....don't send sneakyt a Christmas Card

Bodybag
03-07-2008, 12:24 AM
It is difficult to say how much the urge will be to drive above my ability but I have heard stories from everyone I've told I’m getting a bike... scary stuff!

And I bet they all started something like "A mate of a mate of mine..." etc. etc. If we listened to everyones scare stories we'd never leave the house. Axe wielding maniacs etc!! :D

jerry
03-07-2008, 02:53 AM
My first bikes were a BSA Starfire 250cc and a Suzuki 80cc 2 stroke when i was 15.
I am 50 now and never had a bikeless year.Triumphs,Nortons,MotoGuzzis,HDs Bmw, Hondas,and 4 Ducatis ,over 30 bikes in 35 years of riding.
But the last 5 years have been sole Ducatis the S4 and M750 and no desire to change .

singletrack
03-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Welcome sneakyt.

Any 600-800 cc Monster would make a great first bike. Not too much power, but enough to get you out of trouble when you need it. Buy the best one you can afford - 620/695/S2R or even 696.

My first bike was a Honda CB500 - I didn't really like it.
It lasted 1 month until I saw and heard a Monster and I was sold - the Honda was soon part-exchanged for a brand new Monster 620 and I was hooked.

Go out there, pass your test and get the bike you know you need.

By thew way namduke -my friend's first bike after passing her test was a GSXR1000! I think it taught her to be very respectful of the power. Not that I would recomemend it for everyone as a first bike. :eek:

squiffything
03-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Welcome Sneaky. As you have seen the guys and gals on this forum are a little, erm, shall we say individual. :) If you join in expect fun, every now and then heated debates, knowledge from years of cumulitive experience and a non biased opinion about Ducati Monsters. You will get the chance of ride outs, social gatherings a cracking once a year weekender and if you require it help and friendship that at times can be quite touching.
As for the monnie as a first bike there cant be many others that give you a range that you can grow with as your experience grows. Start with something small 600/620/695 or even the ugly uncle Festa new one. After a year or so look to get yourself a bigger one but be warned you will not want to trade up you will just get another. If you go for an older model to start with you will not be as gutted if you do take the inevitable topple and scratch/ding the tank/bodywork/pegs/levers etc. After a few of these and once you have moved up to the bigger beast the little one becomes the project bike. One more thing big power does not always mean more fun. Slob on here amongst others has posted many a time about how he gets more giggles hacking around on his 600 compared to his 1000 and how through the twisties he can far outride the bigger bikes due to its lightness through the bends. They are also a much easier bike to ride in town and noting your address this may be an advantage to you.

Good luck with the test and the hunting for the monster. Your quest has begun.

sadbiker
03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
First bike was a SS50, A Sports Moped, It made its power going downhill coming down the A62 into Yorkshire over the Pennines.
My first big bike was a CB250N superdream.
Then a GT550, GT750, 3xGPX600Rs, NC30, ZX6r,CB900Hornet, S2R1000 and now changing to a CB1000r, Yes going back to the dark side some will say. Love the monster but miss my hornet and only now has something been released that could replace the hornet. Plus its a italian design team. So I can still get away with my Italian Flag Helmet.

PaulEllison
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
My first bike after my Direct Access test was a Ducati 600ss, after riding it for around 2 miles I rang my mate up to tell him that it was knackered, all jerky and that.
He asked me what speed I was doing, around 30 mph around town, what gear he asked, 5th I said..... That's your problem, you should be in 2nd or 3rd..
I was taught on a 600 Bandit, where you could do 30mph in top gear, Ducati's can't.
Just remember that first time you ride one !!
Paul.

Lucati
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
My first bike after my Direct Access test was a Ducati 600ss, after riding it for around 2 miles I rang my mate up to tell him that it was knackered, all jerky and that.
He asked me what speed I was doing, around 30 mph around town, what gear he asked, 5th I said..... That's your problem, you should be in 2nd or 3rd..
I was taught on a 600 Bandit, where you could do 30mph in top gear, Ducati's can't.
Just remember that first time you ride one !!
Paul.

That really made me chuckle! It's totally true - they are a different beast to the bikes you get at Direct access. When I took a 695 out for a test ride straight after i passed my test it scared the hell out of me! Clutch is either in or out - very little inbetween, the sound, the vibration - It's tamed now and it has been fun getting to that point. I guess they're not called Monsters for nothing!

giler
03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
1st actual thing on the road was 50cc Italjet Enduro, followed by a few 125's.
First big bike (day after I passed my rest!) was GXSR 750WN.

JerryXt
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
welcome mate!

Get a monster, most recent you can afford. They're great bikes and you'll have more fun on on a Ducati with 50bhp than a 100bhp race rep. And they're soooo much cooler.

In the 600cc range, you've got the base 600 (which may or may not be injected, can't remember), the 620, which WAS injected, the 695 and now the 696. The 695 hasn't been out too long and still command a premium, the 620 has and is excellent value. The 600 is an excellent bike, but as a first/only bike, it may be a bit long in the tooth - you'd need to maintain it properly. When I started, I didn't know enough to look after a needy bike.

Re getting a more powerful bike; you could, but in London, there's not much point IMHO. Plus, the 1000s will cost a lot to insure as a first bike unless you live in a salubrious area and garage it, and the watercoooled bikes (S4, S4R, S4Rs) eat clutches in town. The 800 people mention here is a good bike, but it's still reasonably new and expensive.

Whatever you get, you're likely to drop it at some point, so by all means get something pretty, but be prepared for it to look nasty at some point. And if you're going to park in bays with scoots, it will get scratched. There's no point paying a premium for a perfect bike. Get something that's been maintained and loved, but you can save a lot of money by going for something that has a few blemishes.

My first bike: CBR600 and I had three sets of fairings on it in the 6 years I owned it. Great, but dull.

BTW, it always amuses me when I see a post from someone with a post count of zero :D

Lucati
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
WOW! You guys are FANTASTIC! What a response in such little time!

Lucati : I would be keen for some more information, thanks!

You have a PM!

adam15
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Get a monster, they are great fun to ride.
My first bike was my M600 at 17, I did my one week course and test and then brought a monster and had it restricted for the 2 years.
I know yours is not going to be restricted but you should not have a problem handling it.
I still got mine and love it, currently rebuilding it :D, so it will look even better

sneakyt
03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I want my test to be tomorrow!!!

gremlin
03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
The thing with an older monnie is that the bits are relatively cheap and there's no plastic to get scratched when you bin it. I know from bitter experience, until mine was lowered enough I was buying levers regularly! I've gone down the cheap tatty route until I've got experience (only passed test in September) then she'll be made pretty. For grins per mile you can't get better, other half pootles along behind me and swears he can see the grin through the back of my helmet. Handling wise they can beat most sports bikes on twisties, they do run out of puff a bit but if you're doing a ton you're well over the limit and unless you've got neck muscles like Mike Tyson it can get a bit uncomfortable! My limit is around 80 but my neck's knackered due to car crashes etc. Get your test done ASAP cos they're changing it in October and making it more difficult, get some dry miles under your belt before the winter misery and then next summer you'll be set up for the weekender.

Terry
03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Age 16 NSU Quickly, did miles on it until the back wheel collapsed due to lack of spokes!

gary tompkins
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the club Sneakyt :)

1st bike Honda CB50J 50cc moped - August 1980

2nd bike Honda CB25oT Dream - May 1981

3rd bike Honda CB250N Superdream - October 1982

4th bike Suzuki GS650 Katana - March 1983

5th bike - Honda 400/4 F1 - March 1985

6th bike Moto Morini 350 Sport - June 1988

7th bike Ducati M600 - March 1999

8th bike Ducati M900ie - Feb 2002

9th bike Ducati M900ie - September 2004 (converted to trike 2005)

Mand
03-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the club Sneakyt :)

1st bike Honda CB50J 50cc moped - August 1980

2nd bike Honda CB25oT Dream - May 1981

3rd bike Honda CB250N Superdream - October 1982

4th bike Suzuki GS650 Katana - March 1983

5th bike - Honda 400/4 F1 - March 1985

6th bike Moto Morini 350 Sport - June 1988

7th bike Ducati M600 - March 1999

8th bike Ducati M900ie - Feb 2002

9th bike Ducati M900ie - September 2004 (converted to trike 2005)

tsk! you are such a show off Mr. T. 1980, I wasn't even born.... :biggrin:

My first bike was a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - Dennis Hopper eat yer heart out!

PeterPoddy
03-07-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.rutteger.demon.co.uk/bike/bikepic/boxer.jpg

:D :D :D

;)

mystic
04-07-2008, 10:50 AM
My first bike, an FS1e (Fizzie).
Your first bike? Monster S4rs, 1098r, or Desmosedici RR. Depending on your budget of course. :D

Only kidding. Just buy the best Monster you can afford/find and don't try and ride it flat out everywhere. As said before it's not really powerful engines that kill as much as the hand on the throttle. Good luck and enjoy!

sadbiker
04-07-2008, 10:58 AM
tsk! you are such a show off Mr. T. 1980, I wasn't even born.... :biggrin:

My first bike was a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - Dennis Hopper eat yer heart out!

1980 wasn't that long ago..............Was it ?

Paivi
04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
My first bike, after a few years on 50-150cc scoots, was the 695.

YoungDucS4R
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Age 16 NSU Quickly, did miles on it until the back wheel collapsed due to lack of spokes!

Terry!! You and me both!!
And for those who dont know what an NSU Quickly is, no it isnt a nasty disease!!
My first bike.........

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii172/YoungDuc/UKMOC/l_f23.jpg

How things change!!

YD.

BluprintZ
04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
First bike was a Honda C50 stepthrough, which i hammered mercilessly for six months, that was replaced with a 250 BSA C15.
Once i passed my test in `73, then it was a succession of Triumphs, Nortons and Velo's.
The early eighties was mainly GS1000's, Z1000's, 1100 yams, mainly with 1260cc big-bore kits, happy dayz!

gary tompkins
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Err.... 28 years ago? - and the year I left school at the ripe old age of 16 1/2

Methinks Mand tells fibs :chuckle:

My CB50
v v v

Seb_uk
04-07-2008, 12:35 PM
My first bike was a 1995 M600 (other than the 50cc Peugeot I had when I was 16.....!)

It was a great bike and very good for a novice - however I think you would soon find the performance a bit limited and may want a bit more stomp.

695's are a great bike - fair amount of power but also quite forgiving....also should be some bargains around now the 696 is out. Depends how much you want to spend though I guess - £1500 will buy you a tidy M600, whereas you would be looking at about £3 - 4k for a nice 695.

Mand
04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Methinks Mand tells fibs :chuckle:

Oh yes big fat porkie pies! :mand:

ricky
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
the most amazing 50cc ever.............honda PXR. automatic scrambler! lethal!

sneakyt
04-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Me doth protest, 1980 seams like a lifetime away, the month Gary bought his 2nd bike I was enduring birth!

sadbiker
04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Good I feel better I was still in the infants then. Still am according to my other half.

Kato
04-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Ahaaa nostalgia first ever bike was a 250 villiers engined Greaves followed by a Yamaha DT 250 then when I was old enough to be let out on the road I had a Honda SS50 much better than the fizzies all my mate had.........

Humbucker
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
First bike was 600 Bandit, then ZX6R Ninga which cost me endless points and then nearly my whole licence.

After a break got my 695 which i love to bits and although i may get a bigger bike i will never sell. I've just come back from France Switzerland and italy on riding the Alps and it never missed a beat and through twisty roads bigger bikes will not stay with it

kevm
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Not sure should do this now!? First was a Honda CB250G5 1974, then was on a CB750F2 by 1976, since then, many different bikes from Laverdas, to Harleys and Highly tuned Busa ( Very Scarey!! ) Now my M900ie, that I love. Kev.

Scott1
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
First was an RD 50M, black with Luminous Green wheels....well it was the 80s!

Second was an RD 50M my first one unsurprisingly blew up after I added a 65cc bigbore kit, allspeed pipe and racing reeds, whatever they did?

RD 125LC Stan Stephens stage two tuned, melted about ten pistons before I sold it.

RG 125 [Gamma] stuffed it into a car at about 40 mph, did a triple somersault and landed in a hedge....minor scratches on my leg and a bruised ego!

After a 14 year gap:

Vespa ET4 125,
Suzuki RV 125 Van Van [great bike!]
Honda CBR 400
Ducati Monster M600
Honda Hornet CBF 600
Current: Royal Enfield Bullet 350 - I own half of this and it lives in India, anyone fancy riding it back for me?
Current: Ducati Monster S2R 800

The best out of all of them? Either the M600, purely for its grin factor grunt and noise or the S2R for its superb motor, handling and looks.

I love questions like this.

albs
04-07-2008, 07:16 PM
casal 50-oct.76. dad couldnt afford a fizzy.

fatbloke
04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
first legal bike was in 1975 it was a Suzuki TC90
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11706&d=1215202051

Grumpy
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
first bike.....Honda SS50, 5 speed with disc brake!( the year 1978!!)
From there -
Yamaha DT175
Suzuki Gt380 rebuilt 3 times in 18 months!
Yamaha XJ550-fantastic middle weight,
Kawazaki 750 turbo, awesome for its time
Honda CBR1000F (the 1 that looks like it came out of a jelly mould), kept this bike for 10 years,great long distance touring bike.
Know for the more interesting bikes...

Moto Guzzi Lemans mark 5
Ducati Paso 906
Ducati 851
Ducati 888
Moto Guzzi Centauro
Aprillia Caponord
Ducati S4
Moto Guzzi Griso

Once you've ridden Italian, you won't want to ride anything else.Riding a V twin is like nothing else, the spread of power, combined with the trackability,hours of fun and cheshire cat like smiles.

just purchase the best you can, don't rush out and necessarly buy the first bike you see(unless it's what your looking for!).
The best advise when purchasing Italian is look for a service history,complete with dealer stamped service manual.

Happy hunting!

ricky
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
had to see what a honda ss50 is........ google it, they are class lookin!!

Grumpy
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
My mates, at the time, where riding either suzuki ap50'sor fizzies, the honda was different and stood me out from the crowd....also as you can see by my bike history, like like to be a little different!

gary tompkins
04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Me doth protest, 1980 seams like a lifetime away, the month Gary bought his 2nd bike I was enduring birth!

....and here is me age 17 with that 2nd bike :mand:

SazzaG
04-07-2008, 09:22 PM
First "bike" was a Puch Maxi when I was 16.

First proper bike was my 620 5 years ago (I did my DAS for my 30th birthday). I had it for a month before I passed my test. Great first bike.

This year, I upgraded to an S2R. Love it!

Shuffy
04-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Puch M50 Sport

£75 of hard earned paper round money bought me a rusting, non-running sports moped with pedals that doubled as a kickstart and footrests. Collected by my mum and dad in their caravan whilst on holiday, then lovingly 'restored' by myself just in time for my 16th birthday. No CBT in those days, I'd read a magazine article how to ride, I could pull away and change up, but couldn't remember how to change down and stop properly. Thrashed round my local one way system and comprehensively speed tested in the Dartford Tunnel (minus L plates) to a record breaking 51mph. The joy of youth.

walpole68
04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Well i has a Suzuki TS50ER than when i was 17 jumped straight on to a GPZ900 small difference in power.Had loads off jap 4's and several single cylinders but this my first twin.Some might say this is my first bike !

sneakyt
09-07-2008, 09:42 PM
You lot are fantastic - I'm off on Saturday to pick up a 620i (Dark) 03 for £2500

The blurb...

"Selling due to purchase of 696 Monster. It has gel seat fitted, new standard exhausts, Bike covered approx. 5600 miles and has had the following services:

Pre Delivery - 10.03.2003 -16.04.2004 - 04.02.2005 -10.05.2008 and Belts changed as the bike was unused for a period of time. Services by Ducati dealer.

Also have Red key and spare exhausts/seat/and a small fairing which is now fitted and HPI checked certificate. Never used bike in wet weather and it has been garaged. I would like to really keep hold of the bike but space and the new one says - its got to go!!

I had the bike valeted and some silver engine paint came off - nothing to bad. Tax for about 5 months and it has 12 months. Also has a new chain/sprocket."

What do you think?

ricky
09-07-2008, 09:46 PM
sounds perfect....... good condition ,well looked after, good history and pretty good price if you ask me!!!

sneakyt
09-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Ricky, I thought it might be a little dear but biketrader has similar bikes for the money but with much higher mileage. Having said that I was only worried when I saw http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=27555

neilbaldry
09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
sneakyt, alls good in the hood

ricky
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Having said that I was only worried when I saw http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=27555

aw that was the bargain of a lifetime!! you wont see a deal like that for a while!!

sneakyt
09-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Fair enough, thanks for your help. Bike will now waiting for me til the test is passed mid August... FFFfffff...iddlesticks!

Nonnie
10-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Now you have just enough time to fashion a biking outfit similar to your boots.

Off you go!

sneakyt
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
It took me a while but I think I may have cracked it

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/images/projects/mightyrolo/Pimp_0002.jpg

squiffything
10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
aw that was the bargain of a lifetime!! you wont see a deal like that for a while!!

:) It did go for a good price but it was far from perfect and I reflected this in the price asked. I could have asked around £2,500 but would have ended up bartering with peeps who would have picked holes in the little things and I wanted a quick sale. The bike runs perfectly but the light unit needed replacing as well as a few other little things. The bike will look great after the usual tidying up which I know Kaz who bought her is looking forward to doing.

The one you have your eye on Sneaky looks to be a goodun but as always get it checked out. Good luck

Nonnie
10-07-2008, 09:04 AM
It's most definitely waterproof.

You might have a problem considering there isn't much armour. I suggest some shin pads? Do you have any? If you have an old jumper spare then perhaps attaching some velcro would do the trick? If not, then some old socks with the toes cut out could be pulled up to your elbows, then insert shin pads.

It's genius I tell you. We are so underrated.

sneakyt
10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Squiffy, I am going to take a look at it on Saturday, its just been serived in Potters bar and is still at the garage so I just I can quiz them about it. I know very little about bikes but was going to do a little research on tell-tale signs before hand.

Do you know of a service like the AA or simalar that will come over and give it the once over?

squiffything
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Not so much an inspection like the AA one but there are a few of the guys on here who know their bikes inside and out who might be prepared to pop along with you to give it a once over. I'm sure there are independant specialists who will offer the same sort of thing as the AA have a look in the big yellow book