PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pouring from Carb Overflow Pipe

euroswill
02-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I started the bike (M600) the other day to go for a blast.

Using a little choke, it started as normal, then I saw a pool of fuel under the machine.

It was dripping very fast from the right hand carb overflow tube.

I shut off the engine and the fuel tap to investigate further and emptied the right hand bowl using the the drain screw.

Turned on the fuel again and started up with no choke this time and all was dry.

Any pointers as to the problem? Do the carbs need a good service by stripping/cleaning and renewal of all the seals?

I do not want to go up in flames yet

Stuart42
02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi

if it's not dripping now it may have been the drain screw causing the problems, just needed retightening.

Using the choke shouldn't matter either way as its the float inside that is the usual cause of overflow problems.

If it does start leaking again then I'd have a fiddle with the float height, or have a good clean whilst its open, but suspect that if its not dripping now you should be ok?Fingers crossed, touch wood.

Cheers
Stuart

euroswill
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Cheers Stuart.

I might whip the bowls off anyway just to check for crud.

BTW. The leak was from the tube next to the drain tube, which I think is the overflow. Am I wrong?

Phil.

giler
02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Float sticking maybe?

Kato
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Float sticking maybe?

Agree, nothing else to blame but the float, whip the carbs off and give em a spring clean that'll keep you out of mischief for a couple of hours..

PeterPoddy
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Float sticking maybe?

I think so too, most probably. Could be a random thing, but if the bike is older or has sat unused for a while, I'd be tempted to clean the carbs out. It's not hard to do.
:)

euroswill
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I'll get cracking on them while the weather is good.

Cheers,

Phil.