PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fibre thingies..

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I've had the 900 for just over two months now.
When i bought it, it had the usual carbon bits already fitted, i assume by the previous owner(s) and they looked fine.
Two months later and i've noticed that most of it is starting to go grey-ish, or fading, bar from the hugger and tea tray (which will be coming off soon).
I think i read somewhere, that some carbon fibre parts aren't really carbon fibre but a cheaper, pattern type version.
Anyway, whatever they are, they are starting to make the bike look a bit grotty, so i'll probably wait until the weather gets too unrideable and replace them with alloy or stainless.
Any views, suggestions etc..?

Kato
01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
If you can find any Road & Racing used to do some funky alloy stuff, bit like hens teeth these days though but do occasionally pop up on fleebay

banditloon
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Could also be due to the previous owner attacking the bike with Muc-Off.. Evil stuff, do not use it on bikes!!

Other than that, what Kato said, flebay is the place to look :thumbsup:

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Could also be due to the previous owner attacking the bike with Muc-Off.. Evil stuff, do not use it on bikes!!

Could well be the case, although i think the bike spent a lot of time out of the weather, it only had 10k on it when i bought it.
The fact that it is outside most of the time now, may well have something to do with it?
It looks like the top film is starting to lift, as though damp is getting under it.
I'll check fleabay out, although it will be spending winter in my mates workshop, there's loads of things i want to do to it, personalise it a bit.
I might fabricate the bits like the heel guard myself, i have access to some stainless steel, although the clutch cover i'll probably buy, not sure which one to get, a bit worried about the rain getting into the clutch, hmm!

alreadyinuse
01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
its all real carbon fibre. its just the cheaper stuff is set in only resin rather than cured in an Autoclave.

Also in its natural just cured state carbon fibre isnt glossy/shiney. thats a laquer.
Part intended for racing ie they'll be painted over are not laquered.
I've noticed this on a 916 front mudgaurd. it went very scabby looking really quickly.

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
its all real carbon fibre. its just the cheaper stuff is set in only resin rather than cured in an Autoclave.

I thought as much, it's probably the lacquer that's lifting then?
Seeing as i'm in my early 50's, i'm not likely to break any lap records, so carbon fibre being light isn't likely to be an issue for me, so it's nice shiny stainless replacements for the bike over this winter.

Cheers for the info.

Scotty
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
If you can find any Road & Racing used to do some funky alloy stuff, bit like hens teeth these days though but do occasionally pop up on fleebay

got a road racing rear anti fling huger to sell £50 posted

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=27365

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
got a road racing rear anti fling huger to sell £50 posted

Cheers Scotty, although the hugger that's already on the bike is fine, it's the rest of the carbon stuff that's ****e!

Scotty
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
you could rub down and re-lacquer

i think its the lacquer that yellows with sunlight

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
you could rub down and re-lacquer

i think its the lacquer that yellows with sunlight

I dunno mate, i've never really been a great fan of carbon fibre, don't know why, probably because everyone seems to have loads of the stuff on their bikes, it was carbon overload at the TT.
Everyone to their own, i suppose, i just like working with stainless, you can design your own stuff, makes it more personal i think, slob should understand, he looks like an old school engineer type, eh slob?