PDA

View Full Version : First adventure of the year

MrsJel
30-06-2008, 07:37 PM
So - 17 bikes set off for Kendal on Friday (Day 1). It rained a lot. Only 16 made it in good order :( The damaged bike was a street triple, bike twisted - rider's knee twisted. Both bike & rider went home (recovery truck) on Saturday morning. One guy's phone got wet and stopped working.

Day 2 - set off to ride over wryenose, hardknott & kirkstone passes. Sat nav took us a shortcut over grizedale which was interesting. Coming over wryenose - police 4x4 was parked in the ditch. We offered to help (maybe us laughing made them think our offer wasn't genuine). Unfortunately, one of the guys had parked his bike downhill, not in gear - you can guess what happened - should have been cosmetic damage - but it snapped the whole footreset off. So he limped home (2nd gear all the way) from wryenose back to Kendal. Him and his bike were both recovered Sunday.
Dare we keep going ... well yes, after hardknott, we called in at the pub at wastwater - puncture! Pumped it up to see if it was a slow, but it wasn't. So we tried some foam to fill the tyre - all that did was come out like a flipping snow storm. then we plugged it and eventually we got back to Kendal. No other events that day - just a good ride of about 180 miles.

Good so far?

Day 3 - A6 north from Kendal (nice road) - the plugged puncture let go again, so we put in a new plug, overloaded with araldite for good measure, it was this chap who's phone had died so 2 of them went to Kendal to get him a new tyre. It took a while, so they decided to head for home.
It was a lovely ride that day - Kendal to Alston, then to a cafe at the top of the hill, then hadrians wall, then weardale, then tan hill. Only one incident - slow speed off - rider ok, new indicators on order! 220 miles.

Day 4 - from Kendal, to Kirby Lonsdale, Hawes (via Kingsdale gated road aarrgh, Dent Station), Ribblehead viaduct, can't remember, but we ended up at Preston M6 (can't remember being so pleased to see a straight bit of road in my biking life) - only 220 miles today.

Kn*ckered now

Carole

Albie
30-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Sounds eventful and is certainly beautiful countryside. Get any nice pics.

benson
30-06-2008, 10:14 PM
You've been framed??? Sounds like an adventure for sure!!!

MrsJel
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds eventful and is certainly beautiful countryside. Get any nice pics.

Got a few - I'll try to post a couple - particularly the police 4x4!

Carole

CK & AK
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Got a few - I'll try to post a couple - particularly the police 4x4!

Carole

that pic sounds like being a classic! :D

Shame you were dogged by so many events tho

C

MrsJel
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Try these - the 4x4 is in the background - this was just before the gold daytona fell over. Hardknott, this was the view from the 4x4 and the foam in the puncture - it came out of the hole like snow - how many does it take to repair?

Albie
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Was plod driving too fast ??

I was there again last October
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/lakedistrict039.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/lakedistrict055.jpg

Fun isn't it. Just love driving across it

MrsJel
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Was plod driving too fast ??

Fun isn't it. Just love driving across it

No, apparently they just wanted to pull over to the side, but mis-judged slightly. Your pic looks a bit brighter than ours and it certainly was fun - most of the time anyway.

Carole

CK & AK
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Ta for the pics of Hardknott - brings back a lot of memories for me

C:)

Albie
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I hope to buy a bike trailer so I can have a Bike holiday with car and drive there and ride all the scenic stuff in Lakes and Scotland.

MrsJel
01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Ta for the pics of Hardknott - brings back a lot of memories for me

C:)
Pleased to be of service.

Albie - a bike trailer has got to be a good idea for you - its a hell of a way to ride without a break. We're only 160 miles away from Kendal (up M6) so its not toooo bad for us.

Want to here something a bit ironic - there's a monthly triumph meet tomorrow night - guest speaker is a guy from the IAM. Bet he'll be impressed by our solid riding this weekend.

Carole

Kazza
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I hope to buy a bike trailer so I can have a Bike holiday with car and drive there and ride all the scenic stuff in Lakes and Scotland.

We're doing just that next week. Trailer is on order - should be picking up tomorrow and off to West coast of Scotland early hours of Tuesday morning next week. Can't wait.

BluprintZ
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
- from Kendal, to Kirby Lonsdale, Carole

Oh yes, a gorgeous place indeed!
Spent a lot of my biking youth in Buttemere in the early 70's.
BSA C15, Yamaha DT250, Norton Dommie 500.....
Sorry, miles away then, where were we?
Try Honister pass, now that is a killer, at least it was in Jan `73 in a Volkswagen microbus, big ends blew!!

Nice one Carole!

MrsJel
03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks a lot - we're off to Scotland at the end of the month and we might go back over some of the ground we covered at the weekend. Don't fancy Honister - I've seen where the quarry is from survey photos - not sure I'm brave enough at least not on the S2R.
Carole

Mand
03-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot - we're off to Scotland at the end of the month and we might go back over some of the ground we covered at the weekend. Don't fancy Honister - I've seen where the quarry is from survey photos - not sure I'm brave enough at least not on the S2R.
Carole

So the boy has finished his GCSE's then? Go and enjoy.....! I was introduced to North Wales a month or so ago..ace

BluprintZ
03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
So the boy has finished his GCSE's then? Go and enjoy.....! I was introduced to North Wales a month or so ago..ace

Hooray, told ya all it was a brill place...except when it's raining, which is pretty often, although i think i've mentioned that afore as well.

Cofion gorau..http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mand
04-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Hooray, told ya all it was a brill place...except when it's raining, which is pretty often, although i think i've mentioned that afore as well.

Cofion gorau..http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

It is totally brilliant. I went through a stage where I fell out of love with my monster a few months ago, it was just being used for riding into town and back and generally boring stuff like that.

My first trip to North Wales on it a few months ago was totally awesome.... I thought Derbyshire was wonderful but North Wales was amazing, I've been twice in one weekend since! :) As you can imagine my love affair with the monster is well and truly back on track and I will try and avoid using it now for those soul destroying trips to work and back.

Now I need to get myself up to Scotland, The Lakes and Yorkshire.

MrsJel
04-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Yep - all finished. We didn't take him with us to the Lakes - he went to North Wales with youth club!

North wales - great - breakfast at the ponderosa is really worth the ride.

Carole

BluprintZ
04-07-2008, 06:29 PM
It is totally brilliant.
My first trip to North Wales on it a few months ago was totally awesome.... I thought Derbyshire was wonderful but North Wales was amazing, I've been twice in one weekend since! :)
Now I need to get myself up to Scotland, The Lakes and Yorkshire.

Go for it Mand, use the bike as it's meant to be used, for pleasure.
If you haven't been to the lake district, then you are gonna love it, i spent many a happy week camping there, mainly Buttemere.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/butterm.htm

Haven't spent much time in Scotland but i'm sure there are plenty of peeps on here who will have had adventures there.

Nice one,

George.

Mand
04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Yep - all finished. We didn't take him with us to the Lakes - he went to North Wales with youth club!

North wales - great - breakfast at the ponderosa is really worth the ride.

Carole

Yup, I've stopped at the Ponderosa a couple of times and even saw one those Ariel Atoms parked there that blew Clarkson's face to bits.

Nice place, lovely views etc. etc. That horseshoe pass is nice and scary. :)