PDA

View Full Version : Frame numbers help please

Albie
30-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Right there are times when you think everything you do is ok and then things fall apart and make you regret even bothering. I have a problem that I dont know how to lawfully do.

Problem is Ducatis frame numbering. Its basically Cr4p and as I have 3 frames in view they are all different in the way they do it.

M750 frame stamped
748 frame stamped
M s4 frame etched or maybe its biro

Before it went to powdercoat it was visible as I can see it in photos but when it came back its flattened out.

Aha you might say its filled it in you idiot. Thought that too so I scraped away in places and cant see no stamping. After naffing up my headstock I have found some effort of numbers and you cant make them out. They look etched and not proud at all.

What do I do as the Mot man will want to see them as would old bill. Dare I stamp them in and paint over. Is it legal. Im very annoyed and dissapointed that my bike is now screwed up after a lot of effort.

Going to have to ride the 748 for a while as need to get mot asap for s4.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Frame002.jpg

Kato
30-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Albie....Make a stencil and use a center punch to put back the number, did you keep the sticker that was on the rear part of the frame before you sent it to powder!

Albie
30-06-2008, 07:40 PM
No mate it was a bit too damaged to warrant keeping. I guess I should have done. Would you advise I dotted the number then or else I could borrow so stamps off a mate probs.

crust
30-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Albie - step away from the frame.

People powder coat over frame numbers all the time, MOT blokeys and coppers will understand that.

If by some stroke of bad luck, you get grief, you produce your pictures of your rebuild.

What will raise suspicion and definitely cause you grief is if you put them in yourself.

You'll never do it well enough to convince a pro its original so if anyone spots non standard numbers they'll be on it in a flash.

Better to have none and explain it than to have their suspicions raised and them want to delve into acid etching to see if you've covered anything.

:)crust

stoney!
30-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I have the same problem got a brand new frame with no numbers was gonna saw the headstock off my old frame and keep it but still got the problem of what to do with the new frame wouldnt mind finding a good answer!

Kato
30-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Taken from DOT guide lines

On Machines first used on or after 1st August 1999 a VIN plate or frame number must be permanently attached / etched / stamped onto the frame of the machine,

So if the bike is older than 1999 powder coat to your hearts content and don't worry about non-visable numbers, newer than 1999 then you have a problem.

Also they are no longer aloud to take info from paperwork so if they can't see a vin no they will just put not found on the MOT, went through all of this on Friday when I took mine for its test.

stef
01-07-2008, 06:43 AM
my frame (the black one) was powdercoated, and the paint stripped at the headstock to show the stamping (dotmatrix style).
it was all visible.

Albie
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
So I now have a dilemma for being honest. I have managed to get some letter stamps from work. So's what to do. Take it as it is and see what blokey says. Maybe stamp up a ally plate an glue it on or stamp a bit further over so as not to interfere with old place.

rollo22
02-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Try asking local bike shop they make be able to get Ducai to make up a new VIN plate

Not shure how it will attach to frame

stef
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
So I now have a dilemma for being honest. I have managed to get some letter stamps from work. So's what to do. Take it as it is and see what blokey says. Maybe stamp up a ally plate an glue it on or stamp a bit further over so as not to interfere with old place.

i wouldnt do it.
i'd scratch the paint to reveal the original stamps.

Pedro
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Do not under any circumstances tamper with the original number even to "freshen it up" as Plod will see it as dubious and a sign that all is not correct.

Albie
02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
i wouldnt do it.
i'd scratch the paint to reveal the original stamps.

Thats the problem they dont look like stamps.

Pedro I wont touch where the original ones are for that reason. Its an honest try to reinstate some proper markings for my own sake , as if it got nicked or anything.

stef
02-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Thats the problem they dont look like stamps.

Pedro I wont touch where the original ones are for that reason. Its an honest try to reinstate some proper markings for my own sake , as if it got nicked or anything.

they look more like dot matrix characters, usually (not a continuous stamp)
check on your engine to have an idea of the style they are in.
maybe they're in there, well hidden ?

Pedro
02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
If memory severs the numbers Ducati use are like a dot matrix and hence look a bit cack!

Albie
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
All on hold until saturday week when I get a chance to see Mot man.No point doing anything rash for now. Just have to sort out slave on 748 now .

Thanks for your positive comments.

Albie
02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I have had an idea from someone to get a decent sticker made up like the datatag type. I thought on foil so to be able to peel off is someone was really desperate to check.

Albie
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I spoke to Plod today at clackett lane services and they said its not a real problem. They said the mot man will just report no no's seen on mot and if its such a problem the old bill would remove paint. I said I will show mot man marks and cover with a sticker at mot and thats ok.

jerry
02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I have to restamp my S4 in Thailand as I can no longer see the frame numbers the Government inspector cannot read them they are so faint ,it was powder caoted ..we scrapped off the paint and the numbers are almost invisible.