PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes

cairojay
24-06-2008, 08:02 PM
As I am a mechanical novice I am slave to the smiling assassin dealer mechanics who tell me the importance of full service cash payments which I wholeheartedly believe of course! However, I am aware that there are certain things that can be done such as oil changes and o rings etc - any advice from those who have taken a hammer and a spanner to the beloved M is gratefully received - my immediate question is that my neighbour told me that it is a good idea to change the oil and filter every 2500 miles instead of the scheduled 12 months or 7500 miles, and when can I expect to be servicing or replacing a dry multiplate clutch?

Help! (from a concerned S4RS owner)

Mr Cake
24-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Lots can be done at home - its only an engine. Just get used to checking things like play in the bearings, etc... There is more to servicing than just oil and filters. I think you can leave it a bit longer with the oil changes. As for the clutch, it depends on your riding but they can handle a fair bit of abuse.

Dave

cairojay
24-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Cheers Dave, basically I ride it everyday through town and it gets a fairly big weekend ride like Donington on Sunday, Gower trip this Friday so I'm clocking up the miles and whilst I do give it a bit of stick it certainly isn't the kind of abuse reserved for trackdays. How about chain tension? I read recently that you should be checking it every couple of thousand miles?

Mr Cake
24-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I lube my chain every 300 miles. Just check the tension whenever you remember, give it a little lift up with your foot. You'll soon know when it is too slack.

Dave

DevilBoy
25-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Erm, how do you check play in the bearings?
What are bearings?
The things that the wheels run on is it?

banditloon
25-06-2008, 01:13 PM
In 18 months of ownership on the old M904, I've had the joy of fitting 3 clutches (lasting aprox 12,000 miles each), lots of oil changes, a tinker from Rosso Corse to replace broken bearings, fork seals, chain, sprockets.

For your nice shiny new S4Rs, just check the oil level and the chain slack. Get the dealer mechanics to do the rest to keep the old stamps in the book and the warranty still in place.

slob
25-06-2008, 01:21 PM
What are bearings?

http://www.pembsdoe.org.uk/images/compass.jpg

squiffything
25-06-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.pembsdoe.org.uk/images/compass.jpg

PMSL Nice one centurian