PDA

View Full Version : Suspension jack up kit

Jez
23-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Surfing around google I stubled across this thread from this forum 3 years ago. Anyone know where i could get one of these jack up kits?

domskidue23-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Louigi is selling this now...

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/18/88/52_1_b.JPG

Quality machined stainless steel bolts simply screw into your rear 'A' arm replacing the suspension rose joints, which are then screwed into the adapters and refitted into the swing arm.

The rear will rise, min 25mm and more with the rose joint adjusting threads wound out.

Making your bike handle sweet as!

I think they're about £20 :D

Stuart42
23-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Jez

can't use the link but sound like the ones I have which were on the bike when I bought it. Was told they came from Louigi Moto.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Stuart

Gilps
23-06-2008, 07:11 AM
They are from Rich at Louigi Moto - call on 01761 453366

Jez
23-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Cheers guys. I have never come across Louigi Moto before but now have an email request in. Will prob call him later in fact for some other bits. Brilliant, thanks.

alreadyinuse
24-06-2008, 12:08 PM
why would you want these?
whats the benefits?

Stuart42
24-06-2008, 12:45 PM
The guy I bought mine from put them on as he was quite a tall chap and apparently the only other way he'd found to raise the bike was to fiddle with the shock, which effected the suspension, so used these instead.

Must admit I didn't realise that the were adjustable to raise it even further. The bike is a good height for me but am thinking of putting a gel seat on which is lower than standard?

Cheers
Stuart

Yorkie
24-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I phoned them about 2 months ago and they didnt have any made up, but good luck in getting some! A kind soul on here some me theirs!

Yorkie

bing
07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I got an email from them saying they would post on here when they were ready. That's partly why I joined.

Kato
07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
If you can't wait for Rich, you can get them here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190229078857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Jez
08-07-2008, 06:41 AM
If you can't wait for Rich, you can get them here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190229078857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Aah, danke Herr Kato!

bing
09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice work! thanks.

:mand:

wooley_t
27-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Just bought some from........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Well engineered, solid bits of stainless spacers and lock nuts..................

Flats on the shaft would be better for piece of mind......

Once i gey them fitted, i'll ley you know................

wooley_t
27-08-2008, 10:44 PM
...my spelling is crap......sorry, smashed to bits hand and finger, toe typing at the mo............

sheepshearer
11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
attached is as far as i dared wind out my adjusters. i like to leave a little over a bolt's width inserted into things.

i did it all with the bike just on its side stand (bodgetastic!)

remove exhaust cans
remove hugger
remove 12mm nuts, bolts then drift out. and you can attack the lock nuts.

watch for shims in the roses. i supported the bike's weight from above using straps into hooks in the garage ceiling joists. i thought getting the second rose aligned would be a sod, but it actually all went back together more easily than it came apart.

think i'd prefer extenders in there than have all that thread showing, so i'll get some ordered.

BluprintZ
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
attached is as far as i dared wind out my adjusters. i like to leave a little over a bolt's width inserted into things.
I think i'd prefer extenders in there rather than have all that thread showing, so i'll get some ordered.

Give me a shout when you get them mate, i want to fit drag-bars to mine this winter, to do that i i'll have to slide the stanchions out of the top yoke a bit, so that the bars clear the damping and rebound adjusters.
I'll need to raise the arse-end to get everything level, so i'm looking for some decent quality extenders to sort the jobbie out.

Cheers,
George.

sheepshearer
12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
some of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190251120932) hopefully winging their way from foreign shores with german efficiency right now

got mine for Euro5.50+5.00 p&p in auction rather than buy-it-now so may be worth looking at seller's other items to see if you can get a similar deal.

will post pics when i've fitted them (as above, sorely tempted to get flats ground onto them first, but they should be ok without)

pegboy
12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
please keep us posted will definate be interested in these if they work.

wooley_t
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
me to on the flats....got plain shanks on mine and would feel better if they had flats to tighten them up with......

wooley_t
12-09-2008, 10:45 PM
...bought some from the same place,,,,,,emailed them saying they would be better with machined flats but would obviously cost a tad more....

Nice piece of kit though....

sheepshearer
18-09-2008, 11:37 PM
ext_before.jpg shows the size of the extentions
ext_after.jpg shows the flats i had milled onto them (cost me a tenner, done same day!)
ext_ns.jpg and ext_os.jpg are the fitted extensions

off the top of my head...

i'd recommend you get the flats done. the near side one was a little stiff in the wishbone and to have put it in with mole grips (shudder) would not have been pretty. in my case, the rose joint itself was a little stiff in the wishbone anyway, so no fault of the extension's machining.

knock a bit off any preload you already have set. again, i did the whole job on the side stand, so lifting the extra height to get the longer wishbone in will be easier with less tension on the big yellow spring.

take your seat off to avoid the chain greasy fingers you get from removing the n/s swing arm wishbone retainer. (or have a cleaner chain than i do :)

the o/s rose joint aligned very easily again and the retainer bolt went straight in. the n/s was a little more tricky because of the weight shifted to that side on the side stand, but if you wedge in a screwdriver blade between the swingarm bracket and the rose joint itself, you have sub millimetre tweakability to lift the rose joint up into alignment and get the bolt back in again.

cosmetically, i 'd prefer the flats to line up nicely (and maybe they'd look better if i'd had them done the full length of the extensions) but there you go.

ride wise, it just feels a whole load better waiting at lights - i'm not having to plant my left foot so far from the bike to straighten my leg.

hope that's useful to someone.

pegboy
22-09-2008, 08:52 PM
ext_before.jpg shows the size of the extentions
ext_after.jpg shows the flats i had milled onto them (cost me a tenner, done same day!)
ext_ns.jpg and ext_os.jpg are the fitted extensions

off the top of my head...

i'd recommend you get the flats done. the near side one was a little stiff in the wishbone and to have put it in with mole grips (shudder) would not have been pretty. in my case, the rose joint itself was a little stiff in the wishbone anyway, so no fault of the extension's machining.

knock a bit off any preload you already have set. again, i did the whole job on the side stand, so lifting the extra height to get the longer wishbone in will be easier with less tension on the big yellow spring.

take your seat off to avoid the chain greasy fingers you get from removing the n/s swing arm wishbone retainer. (or have a cleaner chain than i do :)

the o/s rose joint aligned very easily again and the retainer bolt went straight in. the n/s was a little more tricky because of the weight shifted to that side on the side stand, but if you wedge in a screwdriver blade between the swingarm bracket and the rose joint itself, you have sub millimetre tweakability to lift the rose joint up into alignment and get the bolt back in again.

cosmetically, i 'd prefer the flats to line up nicely (and maybe they'd look better if i'd had them done the full length of the extensions) but there you go.

ride wise, it just feels a whole load better waiting at lights - i'm not having to plant my left foot so far from the bike to straighten my leg.

hope that's useful to someone.

How does the ride feel turning into corners, is it more responsive?? Turn quicker in or bearly notice the differnce.

sheepshearer
22-09-2008, 09:55 PM
> How does the ride feel turning into corners, is it more responsive?? Turn quicker in or bearly notice the differnce

to be honest, i've not had the bike long enough to have really got a feel for it before i made the mod. so i can't really say. it's a cheap mod to make and easy to revert if you decide you don't like it

i guess it is quite a lift. this guy reckons (http://www.ducatisuite.com/rearheight.html) 5mm on the adjuster equates to an inch on the tail. that may well be the case, but it's certainly not moving the centre of gravity up by an inch is it? (i found that page after i did my own ham fisted spannering by the way)

Pedro
22-09-2008, 11:35 PM
How does the ride feel turning into corners, is it more responsive?? Turn quicker in or bearly notice the differnce.

You should notice that the bike turns into corners much faster - effectively by raising the rear of the bike, the rake of the forks is steepened hence making the turn in faster. This is assuming you leave the forks well alone.

On my 900 I have raised the back end around 12mm at the rose joint and the forks are up above the top yoke by 23mm and it turns very quickly. The only downside is that it gets rather slappy over rough roads when hard on the gas - a steering damper would be good!

sheepshearer
22-09-2008, 11:54 PM
i dropped the forks through as far as they would go on mine, to balance out what i was doing at the back. with the extensions in, i may decide to calm things down a bit and lose the lock nuts - will see how i go.

pegboy
23-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I purchased the same adjusters last night, i am 6" 4, bit big for a monster i know but i just love them and have to have one, anyway, i have set the rose joints to about half way out and raised the front forks with 2 lines still showing on the top yoke, i did measure it but can not remember the exact measurements and it's out in the shed.

I was thinking with these new adjusters to raise the front forks to be flush with the top yoke, my idea it to get the bike higher. I am also looking at more cushion on the seat by an inch?

The suspenion i take it is a adjust it and try to suit your riding style or is there some basic standard/guildline setting for different highs?

sheepshearer
23-09-2008, 10:36 AM
> I am also looking at more cushion on the seat by an inch?

AFAIK that would be the only way to get your arse further from the foot pegs. i've read on here that there's a lower seat (no good for us) and a DP gel seat. i don't know if there's a higher seat - would be nice...

pegboy
23-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I found this place out by Brands Hatch that will add cushion, reshape, recover etc complete job to your spec for about £80 with standard covering, you can go wild and have graphics they can do the lot. www.vikingvinyl.piczo.com

I spoke the the bloke out there and he was very helpful, said if i rode out there he would do the business while i wait, even make me a cuppa, will take a little over an hour.

wooley_t
28-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Well guys, i fitted my jack up kit yesterday. Took about 15 mins to do. Thought about getting flats put on the spacers but then had the idea of screwing a M10 bolt with a locknut on upto the face of the spacer. I then screwed this into the arm and tightened with a 17mm spanner. Then its just a matter of undooing the locknut and bolt with 2x 17mm's. Looks the part with no machined flats.....

Then the test ride.....height wise it feels so much better and looks very nice too. Now it turns in so much quicker, it feels so nimble now. Cant wait to take it out again......

pegboy
28-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I received my jack up kit last friday with 2 x nuts included so i had the same idea with the lock nut so thats good it works.

Sheepshearer
I have two other places to check out in regards to the cushion in the seat, they are both around Harrow so i will let you know what i find out.

Lowsider
28-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Sheapshearer

There is a place that recovers seats in Bradford... Will consult my contacts to get the details