PDA

View Full Version : anybody used a Kriega US-30 or US-40?

damon
22-06-2008, 08:50 AM
just wondering how they fit and how secure they are?

trying to find a tail pack that will fit with both the monster and the 848 when it turns up.

was just gonna go for the ventura but its a bit of a rip off having to buy a different frame for the monster then for the 848 as well when they are about £90 each time.

was hoping the kriega might just save the day, do they have soft undersides or would i need wonderweb stuff?

yellowfever
22-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Got a US 20 and used it for a year commuting in all weathers - great kit fully waterproof (unlike ventura kit I understand) and simple to use and comes with long warranty. Secures with two underseat straps that you just leave in place when you park up and take bag off and to fit you just clip the straps to the bag and tighten to fit securely - seconds of a job, so not much more faff than ventura.

One downsides could be that ventura can be placed on pillion seat or behind pillion seat for carrying passengers whereas you'd need to get pillion to put kreiga bag over their shoulder if giving them a lift...

Only other downside is that if you are not using the bag you need to remember to take straps from under seat or securely tie them to each other to avoid them dangling down and getting tangled in wheels/chain (something I nearly learnt the hard way in a dozy moment). Tho' on plus side you don't have the bikes looks spoiled by having a rack there all the time....

And to answer your question undersides are pretty grippy with rubbery type mesh thing and don't seem to mark things (tho' you'd need to leave seat hump off I think...)

Can't tell you about 848 fitment!

Hope that helps

Gilps
22-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I've got the Kriega 35 rucksack and the US10 pack which clips to the rucksack. I've only used the US10 once as a tailpack. It's real easy to fit, grippy so it stays put. The only negative is that I fitted mine over the seat cowl and rode through some real sh1tty weather. When I removed it, small bits of road grit had got between the cowl and the pack and made a few small scratches. I do have a tail chop though so maybe the full tail would have helped with the grit.

rossdean
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I just got back from a camping trip to the New Forest in which I used my new US-40 along with four Kreiga 10-litre waterproof inner bags though I am not sure if they are necessary as the main bags did a very good job of keeping out water in the heavy rain I experienced on the return trip. I also used a Ortleib 60-litre waterproof roll bag for my two-man tent and blow-up lillo.

The 20-litre main compartment held my clothes, sandals, wash-kit and camping towel. One 10-litre bag held my camping stove, fuel bottle (petrol) and all that stuff while the other held my sleeping bag (a very small summer-only one ... use thermals!) and all the other bits. The bags come with webbed, soft undersides but I was (unnecessarily) extra cautious and did use wonder web ... which marked the rear seat (rear cowl removed) with some of the web material which I hope will come off!!! I also used duck tape to protect the frame beneath the seat from the fastening straps. The Ortleib was secured on top of the US-40 using two bungee ropes attached to the grab handles of my S4RS.

It all worked well. I found the various fastening straps a little awkward at first and the US-40 can look a little lumpy with all the bits I stuffed into it but, then again, I am into image far too much for my own good. More importantly, all the bags were water-proof and stable under speeds into the 90's on straights and in the 50's/60's on cornering. In fact, I did not notice the luggage at all when riding. It’s a good system if you do not want to attach a frame or tank bag to your beautiful Ducati.

wooley_t
18-08-2008, 07:48 PM
These are awesome bits of kit. I have US20 main pack with two US10's. Once you get used to strapping them up, its a doddle.

10/10........