PDA

View Full Version : M600 with power restricted

cumber
21-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and would like your assistance. I don't know one of a bike from the other but the good lady has just bought an old 600 Monster and that means I've to look after it. It has been restricted to 33bhp with what I'm told is a washer in the carb inlet and she wants me to remove it. My question is how do I get access to the carb? I can see the seat lifts off and the tank looks like it swings up and out the way a bit, but is this enough? Or do I have to drain the tank and remove it completely? What else might I have to remove once the tank is out the way? You know what I'm trying to do so any advice on getting through any stage of this would be appreciated and would keep me in the good books. Thanks.

NattyBoy
21-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the site.

Tank off mate. Are you sure its restricted in the carbs ? Some are done by the throttle (a very basic kit that is easy to remove).

Why not treat yourself to the haynes book of lies ???!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Haynes-manual-Ducati-Monster-600-750-900-SS-Supersport_W0QQitemZ250258027078QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item250258027078&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

cumber
21-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's definitely in the carbs as I've got the certificate from the supplier of the kit and I called them to ask. It was called a blade kit and mentioned outer and inner diameters of the washers. They said it was easy to remove but the access was what I was concerned about.
Cheers.

adam15
21-06-2008, 02:24 PM
The carb ones are done by a washer in the inlet pipes.
To gain access to then remove the seat, then turn the fuel tab off and remove the rubber pipe from the side nearest the front, some fuel may come out but only a little (what is in the vacuum pump).
At the bottom of the tank in the middle (bit nearest the seat) there is a rod that the tank hinges on, remove this my removing the split pin and drifting it out.
Disconnect the wiring for the fuel level sensor and then lift the tank off noteing how the drain pipes are routed.
With the tank off you now have to remove the battery from its holder and remove the airbox lid.
The whole airbox has to be taken out though and to do this you have to remove the ignition key barrel from the front to give you enough room.
You also have to disconnect the HT leads from the spark plugs noting which one goes to which head. And there is a relay to remove on the underside of the battery holder.
Once you have done that you have to unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the air box which holds it to the frame.
You then have to undo the large hose clips that secure the airbox to the carbs through a short rubber tube. If you undo these then you should then be able to lift out the airbox but it does take a bit of messig about to get it clear of the frame.
Once out you will see the carbs, you can then undo the circular hose clips on the carbs and inlet pipes....you should be able to make do without disconnecting anything else (hopefully) then just lift up the carbs and the washes will be sitting in the rubber connection bit that is between the inlet pipes and carbs....you can then remove the washers and replace everything back in the opposite way.
You then should have a monster with full power :D

cumber
21-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks a lot adam15, sounds a bit more than I thought!! Well she's off on hols for a couple of weeks and I've to get it done for her coming back so at least I've got a bit time to do it.

alreadyinuse
21-06-2008, 02:31 PM
kin ell youre just down the road.
My monster lives in kirkcaldy too.
if you want to borrow my haynes manual pm me

adam15
21-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks a lot adam15, sounds a bit more than I thought!! Well she's off on hols for a couple of weeks and I've to get it done for her coming back so at least I've got a bit time to do it.

First time I did it, I think it took be about 2-3 hours but I cleaned everything up at the same time. Well good luck and if you get stuck just ask me or you have an offer of a haynes manual from someone else who is nearby I see

Blah blah
21-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the site.

Why not treat yourself to the haynes book of lies ???!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Haynes-manual-Ducati-Monster-600-750-900-SS-Supersport_W0QQitemZ250258027078QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item250258027078&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Just make sure it's the later manual that covers 1991 to 2005 (got mine from Amazon for about £13), no point buying an old one...

Zimbo
22-06-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't find it's necesary to remove the tank.
Seat off, tank RIGHT up (support it with a bit of wood or something behind, best if there's not much fuel in it).
Airbox top off, filter out, battery off.
Remove the airbox - this will mean removing the ignition switch from it's mounting, and removing the coils / ignition CDI units from their mount, no need to disconnect any of them though, just move them out of the way. The airbox is held on by two bolts through the battery tray and one at the front left, plus obviously the carb velocity stacks (jubilee clips).
You now have full access to the carbs. If removing them you need to get the throttle cables off, which can be fiddly but isn't too bad really.
I can swap the carbs completely on an M600, start to finish, in just over an hour.

cumber
29-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks all for the advice. A mate gave me a hand and we did it in less than 1.5 hours which I thought was not bad considering neither of us had much of an idea what we were looking for. Would never have got there without your advice. He's driven the bike before and after and was quite amazed at the difference so the owner has got a treat waiting for her when she gets back from her holiday. Thanks again.