PDA

View Full Version : Where to place a tax disc?

modama
19-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Hello everybody

I am a happy new owner of a Monster 750 and although taxed, it came without disc holder. Now I wonder where to place a disc holder... any ideas? Where did you guys placed it?

Joan

Snips
19-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Legally, I believe it's meant to be somewhere forward of the rider.

The dealer of my bike put it on the swing arm from new, and that's where it's staying.

These things, like UK Registration plates just aren't suited to bikes.

Many other countries use stickers on the registration plates to indicate road tax payment. We have the indignity of plates as big as billboards, and then still have to have a separate tax disc.

yantheman
19-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi, I was told that the tax disc could be anywhere on the near side of the bike. I put it next to the near side passenger's footpeg.

I've also seen people puting it near the headlight unit, there is a bolt there you can take off and mount the holder onto.

Dave G
19-06-2008, 09:30 PM
My old 750 had it on the headlight bracket, my S2R has it on the frame where the pillion pegs attach as does the SC.
If I still had the 750 I'd put it on the pillion peg attachment, I thought it just had to be displayed somewhere visible,though convention usually has it on the left of the bike.

Pedro
19-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Wallet....

Chavy toerag thief proof

slob
19-06-2008, 09:34 PM
My 1000 has it on the headlight bracket but I think I prefer it on the exhaust mounting on the 620. Mainly cos it makes parking wardens get on their knees to read it.

Stafford
19-06-2008, 09:38 PM
The law requires you too place it forward of the driver/rider on the nearside.

Personally I'd go with Ped's suggestion.

Nickj
19-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Mines on the old low level exhaust mount on the peg hanger. Definitely level with me when I'm sitting, behind me when I slide my ass back a little.

Paivi
19-06-2008, 11:06 PM
In a folder in my bookcase with all my other bike related papers.

Bodybag
19-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Wallet....

Chavy toerag thief proof

I got pulled by the feds a while ago for "not displaying your tax disc sir". When I explained that I'd had previous tax discs nicked he hmmphhed at me and gave me a producer even though he'd just PNC'd me and it came back as legit!! Tosser!!

spm23
20-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Wallet....

Chavy toerag thief proof

Yeah wallet too, reasons
1. I don't leave the bike streetside long enough to get caught with it not being displayed
2. They (tax disk holders) look shyte.

If I had to display one, I would laminate it and cable tie it around the top of the fork leg

retskcid
20-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Rear foot peg hanger.

This has me thinking about the number plate, apart from size is there any law about "where" its placed? ie higher, lower, above rear wheel? there's probably not much you can do with it but its the ugliest thing on the bike.

Stafford
20-06-2008, 07:05 AM
there's probably not much you can do with it but its the ugliest thing on the bike.

Oh dear this one could run for a while now

Shandy
20-06-2008, 07:34 AM
This was the best i could find was one of these cylindrical billet do da's on the horn bracket, yep there a horible thing to have to put on, but if mine wasn't on the bike i'd only loose it somewhere and it's one less question to have to answer if you do get pulled over.............the first one on top of the page linked below (not the naff one that's LED let, what's that all about??????)............

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Tax_Disc_Holder.html

Cheers,

Shandy

singletrack
20-06-2008, 07:41 AM
This was the best i could find was one of these cylindrical billet do da's on the horn bracket, yep there a horible thing to have to put on, but if mine wasn't on the bike i'd only loose it somewhere and it's one less question to have to answer if you do get pulled over.............the first one on top of the page linked below (not the naff one that's LED let, what's that all about??????)............

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Tax_Disc_Holder.html

Cheers,

Shandy

That's like mine - the best of a bad bunch of tax disc holders.
I don't think it will fitin same place on your Monster though.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/singletrack_photos/s2rblack004.jpg?t=1213947551

By the way, enjoy your new Monster.

Paranoid Dave
20-06-2008, 10:56 AM
On kylie I used the bolt under the front of the frame that holds the horn on, it fits quite well and isn't overly visable. On Milla however i had a problem. I changed the lights so can't fit it on headlight bracket, have rearsets with no pillion pegs so can't fit it on exhaust bracket, high level cans too close to frame to use any of those brackets, oil cooler stops me using the horn bolt....
I did find one bolt and space perfect, under the seat where the useless plastic cover to the book compartment is, so I carry my disc at all times, just ask if you wanna see it :D

banditloon
20-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Wallet....

Chavy toerag thief proof

Photocopy the original, put the copy in the tax disc holder on the bike, the original with your bike documents in a safe place ;) I'm seeing more bikes with photocopied tax discs around Surrey and London..

PeterPoddy
20-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Photocopy the original, put the copy in the tax disc holder on the bike, the original with your bike documents in a safe place ;) I'm seeing more bikes with photocopied tax discs around Surrey and London..

I used to do this, but it could, in theory, be worse than not displaying a disc at all. See, you are technically displaying a forgery!
I used to scan mine and put "Photocopy" over it, so it was obvious I wasn't trying that, but in the end I couldn't be bothered and stopped doing it.....

adam15
20-06-2008, 01:15 PM
put it on the nearside front bottom caliper bolt thats where mine is. Never had a problem with it there and it is in a legal position.
With regards to not displaying, it will mean the minimum of the £200 fine for not displaying even if it is taxed.
And photocopies should be a NO NO....it is classed as fraud and incures a bigger penalty if the copper wants to be funny about it

neilbaldry
20-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Ive got mine screwed onto the right hand side of my little rad

Pedro
20-06-2008, 01:52 PM
put it on the nearside front bottom caliper bolt thats where mine is. Never had a problem with it there and it is in a legal position.
With regards to not displaying, it will mean the minimum of the £200 fine for not displaying even if it is taxed.
And photocopies should be a NO NO....it is classed as fraud and incures a bigger penalty if the copper wants to be funny about it

Most coppers I've asked about seem to understand the reasons behind keeping it in my wallet and whilst not openly encouraging it, don't get the arse about it either

As far as I know, my 1000 has never had a tax disc displayed, even when it belonged to Ducati UK!

PhilLew
20-06-2008, 02:17 PM
My son's vespa got a ticket for failure to disply his £15 a year tax disc... £60.

His MOT and insurance were all up to date but he had forgoten to tax the bike (silly bugger) and the plod who put the fixed penalty on it also reported it to DVLA as untaxed... another fine through the post... £52 (£7 for back-tax and £45 admin fee)

A total fo £112 for being behind in you excise duty by £7

He won't forget again.

fatbloke
20-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Like Ped I keep my disc in my wallet,
A couple of years ago I did the ride safe thing with the Met Traffic Police,
On checking my bike before going out onto the road the plod said "where's your tax
disc?" I took out my wallet and produced it half expecting to be bollocked instead he got
his wallet out and showed me his tax disc for his own road bike! make of that what you will.

neilbaldry
20-06-2008, 03:59 PM
he got
his wallet out and showed me his tax disc for his own road bike! make of that what you will.

what annoys me most is the variation of what different coppers think is ok.

some would be ok with that, but im sure others would love to kick you to get their quota up.

forresterone
21-06-2008, 08:05 AM
You hit the nail on the head there neil, the is a complete lack of continuity between officers and different constabularys.

I to keep mine in my wallet, and have been stopped...and advised by the traffic officer that he wasnt bothered if i displayed my tax disc, as a simple check with the Police/DVLA computers would tell him all he wanted to know.

Basically they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet..

cheers Jeff

S4R Dude
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I stick it here....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Carl01/DSCF2422.jpg

boris
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Since owning The Duc this is where it's been. Ive survived many Gestapo incidents where the 'Race use only' Termis (Cheers Nat) have been ignored.

If you look at your V11 it states that - 'You must display the tax disc on the vehicle from the day it comes into force.' Also the disc counterfoil states that - 'This licence must be displayed on the vehicle to which it relates.' I'd be interested to know where your 'must be positioned here' etc. info comes from? The penalties involved also relate to 'Failure to display.' If our good mentors are unable to go down on bended knee to 'Observe' my holder, they shouldn't be on active duty. Nuff said?

neilbaldry
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/neilbaldry/My%20Duc/MyS2R17.jpg

S4R Dude
10-07-2008, 10:42 AM
And for those that are interested......

Regulation 6, Road VehiclesRegistration and Licencing Regulations 2002 states...

6(4)(a)...in the case of a motor bicycle, on the near side of the vehicle........

6(5)....exhibited so that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in day light from the nearside of the road.

And there you have it........zipping my anorack as we speak!

singletrack
10-07-2008, 10:44 AM
And for those that are interested......

Regulation 6, Road VehiclesRegistration and Licencing Regulations 2002 states...

6(4)(a)...in the case of a motor bicycle, on the near side of the vehicle........

6(5)....exhibited so that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in day light from the nearside of the road.

And there you have it........zipping my anorack as we speak!

Interesting to note it says nothing about putting it to the front of the footpegs like some people say is necessary. :biggrin:

boris
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Nice one S4R Dude. At least if I do get pulled up I can ask our Chums where I'm supposed to display it, then wallow in my humility as i quote verbertim..

jerry
13-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Mine are on the passanger footpeg mounts nearside.