PDA

View Full Version : They'd Better Pull Their Fingers Out.......

Didge
15-06-2008, 10:56 AM
.........and build those nuke power stations, (nuke power stations is about the ONLY thing, that I agree with when it comes to the fascistic Nu-Liebour clowns), and electric vehicles with decent range and speed.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/features/daily-features/article3795294.ece

Seriously, I made the decision a little while ago, that I will not buy another petrol vehicle EVER!
I want an electric scooter for everyday use, (but not the Vectrix, as it's range is limited), and a rapid bike for fun.
The way fuel prices are going up, I cannot see them coming down by much, if ever, and 'peak oil' is a FACT.
Wether we have yet reached 'peak oil', or it is yet to come, I know not, but I believe that the beginning of the end of oil is here, or at least, on the horizon.

jerry
15-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I work in oil exploration now and peak oil is bull****.....there are vast untapped fields in the USA under Colorado that the Greens wont let the drillers in 2000Trillion barrels and also in Canada Sasquatchewan and Alberta.That does not count the fields not drilled in Alaska

New reserves are being discovered off India which was never looked at before and South America and Russia and Asia Pacific region.

Didge
15-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I work in oil exploration now and peak oil is bull****.....there are vast untapped fields in the USA under Colorado that the Greens wont let the drillers in 2000Trillion barrels and also in Canada Sasquatchewan and Alberta.That does not count the fields not drilled in Alaska

New reserves are being discovered off India which was never looked at before and South America and Russia and Asia Pacific region.

Is that right Jerry? I thought that any known untapped wells were too expensive to extract, and thus the oil would cost too much.
Do I worry unnecessarily? Is there TRUELY oil to last for decades to come, if one factors in the rising economies of China & India etc?
Or will it remain an expensive source of energy because of the demand?

PS - If the 'greenies' 'won't let the drillers in', then surely the U.S. government should put their foot down, and kick the twats out.

Nickj
15-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Existing battery technology sucks as a power method, fuel cells might work one day but the balance is still way against them....
So why are the big manufacturers building electric cars in what is effectively homogulation batch size ? And you notice at least one of the majors did this then dropped the vehicle from their range once it had approval.
Its a thing called the CARB (California Air Resources Board) manufacturers needed to offer at least two percent of their fleets as zero emission vehicles to comply. Do it once and you qualify, your existing range is safe.

BTW the best candidate so far for high efficiency hybrids actually came from GM after they realised even trying to use just batteries was going to be a no brainer, and about as non-environmentally conscious as you can get, they designed it around a small gas turbine. That supplied power for the electric motors and increased the range to something actually useful in the real world. The result was a vehicle that generated less carbon than using mains power to charge the batteries, produce and run. Batteries are very carbon heavy items to make.

When you use this lectric beast you'll probably be making a larger long term environmental impact than using an old shagged GT380.

Didge
15-06-2008, 01:34 PM
When you use this lectric beast you'll probably be making a larger long term environmental impact than using an old shagged GT380.

While I do not disagree with what you say Nick, I don't go for the 'man-made' global warming spouted by the environMENTALISTS, so that side of it matters not to me.
My only concern, is the availability of energy.

Nickj
15-06-2008, 02:17 PM
It's swings and roundabouts, you use the same ammount of energy to shift an object from A to B the issue is where it comes from.
I it possible to have an environmentalist fuelled power station? Thinking along the lines of
EITHER a few old cooling towers with big fans at the top coupled to generators. Stick your environmentalists at the bottom. They should generate a veritable hurricane of hot air and supply power for a few years for the price of a bowl of lentils a day. Probably quite a renewable and self generating resource as they develop their own ecostructure.
OR could they be converted into fuel which would be a tad less efficient?

Other than that we should probably stop wasting good money on wind, wave and the incredibly dumb/expensive severn barrage idea and get some Nucs up before we actually need them.

Oh you seen this one? http://www.enertiabike.com/ LOL Has the retro monnie clocks almost. $12K will have us all clamouring for one I don't think

squiffything
16-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Didge I bet those GAS turbine engine wotsits would be right up your street :) the first man to have a self propelled gas turbine bike

jerry
16-06-2008, 09:57 AM
The japanese are pouring Billions into building Hydrogen fuel cell technology and actual plant, Toyota is the odd man out with its crummy stopgap hybrids , fuel cell will be the future main car /motorcycle power source....Then a lot of oil will be left in the ground ..same as king coal. there was a time when everything ran on coal...now there is loads unmined ...350 years worth under UK alone.

Dave G
16-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Is that right Jerry? I thought that any known untapped wells were too expensive to extract, and thus the oil would cost too much.

I think the price of oil will now make these untapped fields a more feasible option, there are also fields west of the UK in the Atlantic.

Living less than two miles from a nuclear power station we also have to put up with the construction of windmill in the moors around us which is a bit bonkers,concreting over wild land to enable some plonker somewhere to boil a kettle thinking he's now 'green'.