PDA

View Full Version : I want a 125cc

dam
14-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, not me but my brother does, anybody know of any cheap ones up for sale?

Ta

dunlop0_1
14-06-2008, 02:11 PM
When Louise wanted to do her test we bought one of those Chinese Honda copies. Ok stop laughing but remember this, 20 year old Honda CG125 around £600. I bought the Chinese copy for £550. It was 1 year old with 1200 miles on the clock and came with,
Electric start,
Kick start,
Gear indicator light,
Hazard lights,
Enclosed chain,
luggage rack,
Rev counter,
Side and center stand.

Louise used it for 3 months until she passed and then i sold it for £525.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/d7_12.jpg

alreadyinuse
14-06-2008, 02:32 PM
How old is your brother? and how cheap is cheap?

Aprilla RS125 would get my vote you can pick decent ones up for about a grand and shuld be able to sell it for the same if he doesnt keep it too long.
It has a proper sized back wheel and when derestricted its respectably fast.

if hes a bit older or less fashion concious then the cg copy. but they are notoriously unreliable get a real cg or a cb

dam
15-06-2008, 08:01 AM
How old is your brother? and how cheap is cheap?

Aprilla RS125 would get my vote you can pick decent ones up for about a grand and shuld be able to sell it for the same if he doesnt keep it too long.
It has a proper sized back wheel and when derestricted its respectably fast.

if hes a bit older or less fashion concious then the cg copy. but they are notoriously unreliable get a real cg or a cb

He's 50! (no sn1gger1ng, he's going through a mid life crisis).

Up to a grand, he only wants one for a couple of months to "get the hang of it"

alreadyinuse
15-06-2008, 11:46 AM
He's 50! (no sn1gger1ng, he's going through a mid life crisis).

Up to a grand, he only wants one for a couple of months to "get the hang of it"

The RS125 then one of the race replica ones.

Chris & Nean
15-06-2008, 11:47 AM
These Jinluns are absolutly brilliant bikes dam Nean got one this spring, shes done 2000 miles already and not one single prob with the bike at all, its easy to lean on with its low seat and has very good berformance shes gotten more than 70 out of it many times, she paid £1000 brand new for it but it looks like these bikes are rising in poularity! £1299 now :(

Chris & Nean
15-06-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.jinlun.co.uk/13.htm oops! the link didnt post ?

adam15
15-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I'd stay away from chinese bikes, mainly because they fall apart alot lol
I knew someone who brought a chinese 125 bike to learn on as it was cheap and did what they needed which was get to work and back mainly.
He only had it about 6 months and in this time it slowly fell apart as different parts broke or fell off.....he eventually took it back to the dealer and got a full refund for his problems, after that he went out and brought a 125 honda so he knew it would not fall apart.

The other problem with them is some of them you have problems getting parts for them when they do go wrong if you are lucky enough to own one long enough to find out.....LOL

Either buy a well know make or just do the 5 day course and get a bigger one, like a monster :)

Chris & Nean
15-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep adam15 I heard horror story’s over some of the Chinese bikes but Jinlun are different, their solid well engineered bikes, I have checked all over Neans 125 and it really is a proper motorcycle, the finish is top notch from switch gear, instruments and controls, the chrome plating and everything, the engine itself is a Honda design and twin cylinder too. The spares are unbelievably cheap and everything is immediately available -they send them in the post to you- Nean had a problem with the gear stick (her words for the component) being a bit to long for her foot, I went down to the Jinlun shop in Tamworth (their called Screamin Beagle) to get a stick to shorten for her to try (cost £7) they wouldn’t even let me pay for it, insisted I take it away for free to have a play about with, honestly m8 tell your buddy to look in to these bikes cuz their brill.

Clo
15-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I bought a good condition 55 plate Yamaha YBR 125 (MUCH nicer than the Honda CG, which i tried for a week and a half). Paid £975, sold it for £1200 a few months ago after passing my test!!!

It's a great learner bike - looks good and not too small (i'm 5 ft 10 and found some 125s like the Van Van too low). I even had a few bikers ask me what CC it was as they thought it looked bigger!

I replaced some little bits and pieces - which cost next to nothing. The only bad thing about them is that pre-2006 ones come with slightly ropey tyres which aren't so good at stopping you in the wet - very fixable with new tyres tho.

I'd 100% reccommend one of these - not as ubiquitous as a Honda CG and not trying to be a sports bike either!!!

Chloe

Clo
15-06-2008, 06:33 PM
See here
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Cars-Parts-Vehicles_Motorcycles-Scooters-ATVs__ybr-125_W0QQ_nkwZybrQ20125QQQ5ftrksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em1Q QQ5fcatrefZ1QQQ5fcatrefZ1QQ_fxdZ1QQ_ssovZ1

adam15
15-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Yep adam15 I heard horror story’s over some of the Chinese bikes but Jinlun are different, their solid well engineered bikes, I have checked all over Neans 125 and it really is a proper motorcycle, the finish is top notch from switch gear, instruments and controls, the chrome plating and everything, the engine itself is a Honda design and twin cylinder too. The spares are unbelievably cheap and everything is immediately available -they send them in the post to you- Nean had a problem with the gear stick (her words for the component) being a bit to long for her foot, I went down to the Jinlun shop in Tamworth (their called Screamin Beagle) to get a stick to shorten for her to try (cost £7) they wouldn’t even let me pay for it, insisted I take it away for free to have a play about with, honestly m8 tell your buddy to look in to these bikes cuz their brill.

Thanks for the info on the Jinlun.....well he passed his DAS a while ago and has a jap 600 sports bike so he is ok now

halina_r
15-06-2008, 08:31 PM
my cbr125 will be for sale as soon as i pass my test - it is a lovely bike (05 plate) and has served me well. test booked for friday so could be for sale soon ( i hope) !!!

Chris & Nean
15-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Grats on passing your test halina-r when you do it bud :) if u aint already. Glad ur bro got his license too adam15, but why is he on a Jap 4 ???

dam
16-06-2008, 10:17 AM
my cbr125 will be for sale as soon as i pass my test - it is a lovely bike (05 plate) and has served me well. test booked for friday so could be for sale soon ( i hope) !!!

Thanks Halina, good luck for friday.

dam
19-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, looks as though he's getting a wee Honda 125 for free!
For a couple of months anyway. One of his mates neighbour has one sitting in their garage doing nothing. Best bit is, I have to ride it through from Edinburgh!
Should be a hoot.