PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a monster

Paranoid Dave
12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Free desmosedici ride for anyone who replies to this, naked dancing girls will be along later!

Due to a change of approach on this thread, i'm compiling a generic thread to help prospective monster buyers buy a good bike. What I want from you lot is a list of either things to look for when buying a monster, (specific model or otherwise) or something you wish you'd done after buying one.

What to look for when buying a monster:

neilbaldry
12-06-2008, 08:28 PM
copied from the other thread!!

free desmo?!

you'll need things like:

A price range
- such as 2nd hand, £1200 - £3000, so people know if they are getting ripped off.

Common faults
- engine paint flakes off, electric problems, cold starting problems, and other mechanical jobbies that tend to go wrong on models

It might be worth having a service schedule on somewhere, so people who arent in the know, know if they are buying a duffa in need of a full service (extra few hundred quid to spend after buying!)

and maybe a link to a review off a bike mag site? so people know if they are buying a lowpowered wheezer, or a ballistic missile!

just a few thoughts............ i will be looking out for a desmo in the post!

Albie
12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Dave specific to s4/s4r/s is front cylinder coil sticks can be prone to corrosion after a few years if ridden in all weathers and £120 to replace each.

dlloyduk
12-06-2008, 08:46 PM
and maybe a link to a review off a bike mag site?

If I had taken notice of what I read in the motorcycle press I would never have bought a Monster. Infact the had the first 5 bikes I looked at had not been a pile of s***te I would never have looked at this one as it was No.6 on the list.
Amazing what a MotoGP title and a couple of decent bike launches can do.

Oh the first 5 were SV650,s

Bodybag
12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Dave specific to s4/s4r/s is front cylinder coil sticks can be prone to corrosion and £120 to replace each.

I'll add to that... The rear cylinder can sometimes spring a leak from the base gasket. Easy to repair but a laborious task as the entire head has to come off.

neilbaldry
12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
If I had taken notice of what I read in the motorcycle press I would never have bought a Monster. Infact the had the first 5 bikes I looked at had not been a pile of s***te I would never have looked at this one as it was No.6 on the list.
Amazing what a MotoGP title and a couple of decent bike launches can do.

Oh the first 5 were SV650,s

ok, no reviews

CK & AK
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
worth checking/comparing prices on:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/motorbikes/used-prices/

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/BIKES/bikes.jsp

http://www.glass.co.uk/app/plugin_uc/_src/ident.php?sess=UKucn65c6cff6ed721f888e6437e0660091 213304309&l=en&UCvtype=30&h=www.glass.co.uk&newsess=yes&prtid=uk44b8ucen

Nickj
12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
The seeping rear gasket appears to be pretty common, 750's do it.

Don't be put off by a lack of or flakey paint over some of the casings especially front head and barrel. That goes under the 'They all do that Sir' area.

dunlop0_1
13-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Leaking petrol tank at the hinge.....
Also I have seen more than one with frame damage from the forks hitting the frame because the lock stops bend easily or it has been in a accident.....
Sump plug (allen key fitting) can be chewed up and a right t**t to get out....

Neil.

Paranoid Dave
13-06-2008, 04:06 PM
these are great tips, just the sort of thing we need to list and produce a guide for newbies looking to buy. Keep them coming.

dunlop0_1
13-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Front mudguards crack for fun just above the mounting points. 600/750/900.

Also check if the little rubber bungs are still in the mixture screw adjustment points on the bottom of the carbs. If not the screws will probably be seized and U/S

Neil.

neilbaldry
13-06-2008, 06:45 PM
S2R 800

Good points - EVERYTHING!!!!!

bad points - yeah, you guessed it, NOTHING!!