PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock for M620 Sie Advice

sadbiker
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi,

CORS original rear shock requires replacement.

Speaking with workshop they recommend the Ohlins bells and whistles. We suggested the model down which is less adjustement, workshop feel that this shock is no better than a Hagon and not worth the extra.

What do people recommend out there to replace the original shock on CORs 620sie. And what prices.

I have seen mention of other shocks on this site and wonder what is the best way forward. We would like to get a shock which is for her weight etc. By purchasing mail order from somewhere would we get it already with settings for her so I could bang it on.

And is it fairly easy for me to change ? Once I have supported the bike somehow.

CK & AK
11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Try Wilbers - we thoroughly recommend them (have left info on another recent thread)
Worth following up sir :)

C

Gilps
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I think whichever shock you go for, you will not need all the bells and whistles for road use. As long as it has adjustable preload, and compression and rebound damping then you will be fine. Don't bother with remote reservoirs. Once you have got the suspension setup how often do you need to change it. If you can live with the purple spring on the Nitron shocks then I would go with one of those. I fitted one on my S2R and it made a massive difference. My race bike has the all singing all dancing version but the road bike has the basic stripped down one and it is just as good. The build quality is the same and the same components are used across the range. You just pay more for the bling bits. Nitron will build the shock to your specifications too so will be set up for your weight.
I got mine from Louigi, and he swapped the spring for a yellow Ohlins one. I think the basic road shock is around £300-350.
Several people have recently recommended the Wilbers shocks from David at Solo Corse. I just tried to link to his web site but it says the account has been suspended. He can be contacted by PM'ing him on the Ducatisti site - user name is Nogaromill.

sadbiker
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Cheers Gilps. Hope that is with a 999 at the end of it as have just PM him.

Well after 18K it is time for changing.

Gilps
11-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Cheers Gilps. Hope that is with a 999 at the end of it as have just PM him.

Well after 18K it is time for changing.

Yep, that's the guy - David Nicholson. Nice guy, but ginger.

singletrack
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Try Wilbers - we thoroughly recommend them (have left info on another recent thread)
Worth following up sir :)

C

What she said -
I got mine from david (solo corse) a thoroughly nice chap, and good service. They can set the shock up how you want it, ready to bolt on to the bike without any adjustments

CK & AK
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
So hes one & the same person, Singletrack - and Gilps:
David is Nogaromill999 - he does the Wilbers :cool:

sadbiker
11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
CK/AK, Gilps and singltrack.

Appreciated for advice, contacted David and he was very fast with some prices and options so a good remmendation.

But as I had a quick look on ebay there was a new sach shock going. I set nyself a limit and get it at the top end of that limit. Considering any other shock was going to cost at least nearly 3 times that I feel it was something not to be missed.

Yes the Wilbers would probabley have been the better option long term as it is better quality and rebuildable.

One thing that we have found out about CORs original is that it seems it was fully wound down, we have never touched the shock since new and can only think the dealer did this to give more ground clearance when it was PDIed?

Maybe this explains why COR always thought it was hard when going over bumps.

As soon as the new one arrives I will attempt to fit it and will ensure it is set as standard and take it from there.

Gilps
11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
One thing that we have found out about CORs original is that it seems it was fully wound down, we have never touched the shock since new and can only think the dealer did this to give more ground clearance when it was PDIed?

Maybe this explains why COR always thought it was hard when going over bumps.

By wound down do you mean the length/ride height? If you do, then it would not affect how hard it was. However, if they had wound off the preload to make it softer then she would certainly have lost quite a bit of the suspension travel and could bottom out over a big enough bump.
Good luck with the new one.

sadbiker
12-06-2008, 06:04 AM
I don't fully know COR spoke with the workshop. But it sounds a little ominous, the other main thing that stood out from what was relayed back via COR was "Its Shot and has no adjustment" so hopefully a virtually brand new Sachs must be worth what I just paid and should sort out a few problems.

When I was checking with Riders to ensure that it was the same shock from the 620ie to CORs 620 they quoted the list price of the Sachs - £350 ...... Wonder how many have been sold.