PDA

View Full Version : Lid question

neilbaldry
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Whats the best open faced lid? Im looking for a retro look and would use with googlies. Ive seen the Davida ones and they look cool, but are there any other, equally inexpensive ones out there?

Bodybag
10-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Whats the best open faced lid? Im looking for a retro look and would use with googlies. Ive seen the Davida ones and they look cool, but are there any other, equally inexpensive ones out there?

I hope you're looking to use it on a scooter?! Or an old Norton? It would be a travesty to use an open face lid on a Monster!!

Nickj
10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Having seen what can happen to chins when they slide down the road at speed there's no way I'd wear one now!!
Imagine shaving using an angle grinder with a big disc and you get the general idea. Potentialy very very messy

gremlin
10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Think Roof do quite a good one. Personally I wouldn't have one in case you come off front first, people have been known to lose their jaws.

Nick I think we were typing at the same time!

Nickj
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
LOL Must have been, beat you by seconds!

Mand
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey! I have a Davida helmet complete with goggles. I wore it only a handful of times on the Monster and after 50mph, it was awful! Looked proper cool though. However, flies smacking you in the face bloody well hurts. I only wear it on the scooter now. (I may have mentioned that I have a scoot?!?)

On a more serious note, not long ago I got smacked on the helmet with a big piece of gravel from an Aggregate truck and it look a chunk out of my Arai and after following Dave at the weekend, my visor took a bit of battering from his rear tyre down some country lanes.

If you value your complexion, I would steer clear.

Meteor
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I still wear one when I ride my british bikes, with a 'buff' pulled up over my mouth/noseto stop the flys etc..

Try this Company if you want to see whats out there

http://www.openfacehelmets.co.uk/

as everyone has pointed out, open lids are not all that practical - especially at high speed.

singletrack
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
My cousin had a lovely open faced helmet.

Then he fell off his bike and scraped his chin on the floor. next he had no helmet, a broken jaw and the most awful complexion. :cry:

Snips
11-06-2008, 03:48 AM
These seem all the rage with the style types in London on their cool retro scooters.

http://www.momohelmets.com/

If you wear a sharp suit, are skinny, and can blat around on a retro scooter with one of those you'll look the biz while the fun lasts...

...then what everyone else said about safety ^^^

I suspect you're more looking for the cafe racer look, in which case the safety concerns rocket, unfortunately.

Then again, I once went for a short ride in jeans and I felt 'naked' ('scuse the pun) and vulnerable. Really, I'm a wuss :rolleyes:

giler
11-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I've just bought a Modena (white with tricolore stripe and cafe logo).
Really impressed with the quality and suitably retro.