PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Monster - generic thread suggestion

Paranoid Dave
09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
No offence to anyone who posts on site about "i'm buying a monster, what do I need to look out for" but would it be a good idea if there was a Tips for Buying link, sticky thread or section somewhere that covered everything..

for example.

monster:
service history up to date
belts changed every blah blah
look for corrosion on the blah etc

specific models:
S4 - blah blah

620 - blah blah.

As you can see i'm not the best person to write such a link but it would be a great tool for anyone shopping, even old pro's like us after another bike...

Any thoughts.

Blah blah
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
monster:
service history up to date
belts changed every blah blah
look for corrosion on the blah etc

specific models:
S4 - blah blah

620 - blah blah.

As you can see i'm not the best person to write such a link but it would be a great tool for anyone shopping, even old pro's like us after another bike...

Any thoughts.

Why ask me, I've got a 750 ???

adam15
09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
That does sound like a good idea, it would certainly help people who are considering getting a monster or who want to get another one but a different model

Dave G
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Great idea!
Who's going to start it?

Albie
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Yep good idea. I guess you could compile all the results of threads into a section .Copy paste all decent info into the relevant bikes.

adam15
09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
And you can use owners on here who have had experience with a said bike to help with identifying problems that are common or they have found to be a problem

Dave G
09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Might I suggest a look at this as a sort of template.
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/buyingused.php

adam15
09-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Might I suggest a look at this as a sort of template.
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/buyingused.php

Not bad....I'm willing to help with the setup/HTML code if this does happen and help is required

Paranoid Dave
10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
well i'm hopeless with info and set up, but good with suggestions. Anyone care to make a start.

Scotty
10-06-2008, 05:25 PM
could always just have a sticky in the bike reviews section for buying a used ### monster

Dave G
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Right,heres a start, its not comprehensive or perfect in any way but if each of us chimes in with basic info about our own model then it can be cut and pasted onto a proper article page!
We also need a general buyers guide if anyone wants to volunteer, that'll cover things like belts, service history etc!

Hopefully I'll have made enough generalisation to get someone annoyed enough to correct me.;)

Model- Monster S2R 800
Years in production-2005- 2007
Identifying features- Aircooled motor,single sided swingarm,black two piston brake calipers
Colours-red/white, black/orange,yellow/black,dark
Specs-
Motor: Air-cooled four-stroke 90-degree L-twin.
Capacity: 803cc.
Bore x stroke: 88 x 66mm.
Valvegear: SOHC with two desmodromic valves per cylinder.
Compression ratio: 10.5:1.
Power: 56.7kW @ 8250rpm.
Torque: 72.6Nm @ 6500rpm.
Induction: Marelli electronic fuel injection, with two 45mm throttle bodies.
Ignition: Electronic.
Starting: Electric.
Clutch: Hydraulically actuated APTC wet multi-plate clutch.
Transmission: Six-speed gearbox with final drive by chain.
Suspension: 43mm Marzocchi inverted cartridge forks at front, adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping, single-sided swing-arm and Sachs monoshock adjustable for ride height, preload, compression and rebound damping at rear.
Brakes: Twin 300mm discs with Brembo twin-piston floating callipers at front, 245mm disc with Brembo twin-pot opposed piston calliper at rear.
Tyres: Front: 120/70 ZR17 tubeless. Rear: 180/55 ZR17 tubeless.
Wheelbase: 1440mm.
Seat height: 800mm.
Dry weight: 173kg.
Fuel capacity: 14 litres.

Good points-
Lightweight clutch lever and anti hop 'slipper'action clutch.Smooth and refined fuel injection

Points to watch out for-

Brakes need more pressure than other Ducati brakes but are aimed at newer riders and still effective,softer pads help.

Common modifications- 14tooth front sprocket or larger rear help driveability. Other Ducati 320mm discs and goldline brakes are a straight bolt on job. Cat replacement pipes help the looks and the sound of the stock cans.Aftermarket mirrors are common but generally aren't as good as the OE ones.

Scotty
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
regarded by some as the worst monster ever made, the S4 was the first water cooled monster inheriting the old 916 engine, I would perhaps describe it as a bit more raw and unrefined.

a comparison of 916 sized engine can be explored here at the moto one website (which is also full of other interesting stuff)
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/monsters4diff.html

there have been two VOSA safety recalls
one for fuel lines and another for a clutch issue
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=E6781EE0C75F3EF180256BB9002694 6F&freeText=Blank
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=0F669E64E1FB819380256BB900268C FE&freeText=Blank

the S4 verity was produced or 3 years 2001 through to 2003 before it was superseded by the S4r and its later variants
you can see the technical specifications etc on Ducati's website in the previous years models
http://www.ducati.com/my2001/monster.jhtml
http://www.ducati.com/my2002/ducatiModel.jhtml?modelName=S4
http://www.ducati.com/my2003/ducatiModel.jhtml?modelName=S4-03

you can also retrieve 'owners manuals' and 'parts manuals' from the Ducati website, for a 'work shop manual' you can buy one from a dealer or if your good at foreign languages try http://www.duc.nu/manuals/

now then the observant among you may have noticed the 'Foggy S4' on the Ducati pages, this was essentially an S4 but with the performance parts book thrown at it good for 15 extra bhp and plenty of 'Bling' for good measure

there was also a promotional race series run alongside BSB (s4 challenge) for a year or two and a fair few of these bike made it back to dealers on onto the road these bike also included a few racing goodies

now then, whilst were on about model variations, the one major change I'm aware of over the years was the electrics upgrade for 2002 , 2003 model's
this can be seen in the owners manuals (2001 has a electronics schematic in the back where as later owners manuals don't) if you want to play with electrics buy a 2001 model as the later variations have the modern clock set with extra immobiliser chips.

now then specific S4 things to look for

the front plug hole is right behind the front wheel and prone to collecting water (if you ride in the rain) over time this will rust and split the front coil which sits on top of the spark plug and you will end up with a misfire at low rpm make sure you grease the rubber collar to help keep water out, a new coil is £100 ish

handling unlike other monsters you are limited to how much you can drop the yokes down the forks by the radiator , the only solution for a quicker steer is to jack the rear up ( I hope your tall) this has a possible knock on effect, if your going to alter the finial drive gear ration I would always adjust the size of the rear sprocket to prevent the chain rubbing on top of the swingarm too much.

Ducati John has a good list of general things to look for on Ducati's
http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ducati-points.htm

Paranoid Dave
11-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Dave G, nice try and thanks for the effort but when buying a bike, dry weight and fuell consumption can be found in any spec sheet, what i was thinking was a list of what a new owner would need to look for when viewing a bike. Check for cracks in the hangers or scrapes on the bar ends from a drop, do the grips match in wear or has it had a replacement after sliding down the road. Specific issues to look at on certain bikes and general stuff. Maybe i should rename this thread "what do you check when buying a monster"

Dave G
11-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Dave G, nice try and thanks for the effort but when buying a bike, dry weight and fuell consumption can be found in any spec sheet, what i was thinking was a list of what a new owner would need to look for when viewing a bike. Check for cracks in the hangers or scrapes on the bar ends from a drop, do the grips match in wear or has it had a replacement after sliding down the road. Specific issues to look at on certain bikes and general stuff. Maybe i should rename this thread "what do you check when buying a monster"

Absolutely right Dave,the spec sheet is a crib from elsewhere, it may be useful to have a list of these somewhere for the older bikes as that info is usually only readily available for current models.
What I'm trying to do is goad others into doing better, your turn to do your model of monster now Dave. ;) :D
What would you recommend you check on yours?

Paranoid Dave
12-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh ask me an easy one please. But little things like:

Check odd wear on swingarm from chain, check chain adjustment and lube, is front hugger mount broken, can't think of any more right now.

Dave G
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Well its a start, what we can do is to get the checklist and if possible explain why it should be checked (known or common faults, common bodges,premature wear, recalls etc).

If we can get a checklist,even a fairly generic one then hopefully others will be less daunted by the scale of doing it from scratch,eventually with lots of little contributions it could expand into something thats more comprehensive.
It would be a shame for this to come to nothing because everyone thought everyone else will do it better.

What it will need is someone to step up and collate it all though, preferably one of our mods :D

Paranoid Dave
12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I think it's only us two reading this thread, maybe we need the promise of naked dancing girls and a free desmosedici for any mod who helps?

Maybe a new more exciting sounding thread is needed.

Nonnie
12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
OK, send me the evidence.

Seriously, if people know what to look out for on a particular model, send me the information and I'll put it all together. I guess this is what was asked??? Don't be asking me anything technical or expecting me to contribute in a technical way but I'm happy to gather it all together and make a final thread.

neilbaldry
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
free desmo?!

you'll need things like:

A price range
- such as 2nd hand, £1200 - £3000, so people know if they are getting ripped off.

Common faults
- engine paint flakes off, electric problems, cold starting problems, and other mechanical jobbies that tend to go wrong on models

It might be worth having a service schedule on somewhere, so people who arent in the know, know if they are buying a duffa in need of a full service (extra few hundred quid to spend after buying!)

and maybe a link to a review off a bike mag site? so people know if they are buying a lowpowered wheezer, or a ballistic missile!

just a few thoughts............ i will be looking out for a desmo in the post!