PDA

View Full Version : S4R exhausts.

mikej
09-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi,

After spending yesterday chasing Squiffythings Termis cross country have decided my monster is too quiet.

Would prefer something that has the option of being road legal but can always just pull the clutch in and freewheel past police stations ;-)

If anyone has or knows of anything for sale it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.

sadbiker
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Arrows are good, but have to be honest LOUD with no bafflers in.

J.P
09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Loads out there to choose from. Best option is for a set with removeable baffles so it's easy to quieten it down if you want.
Ducati Performance do a set with a catalyst bypass manifold which will be about £1,300 including the new computer chip.
Or the much cheaper option is just to look for a set by Leo Vince, Zard, Silmoto, Marving etc that will just allow you to change the end cans.
Even if you just took the catalyst out and replaced the manifold pipes it makes it much louder and that way you get to keep the standard exhausts.

mikej
09-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I was planning on just changing the link pipes to get rid of the udder thinking that it would be a little louder, but there was a thread on another site (DML i think) that said that just doing that makes no difference to the exhaust note/volume.

J.P
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I'd disagree. At one stage of my full exhaust change I had the standard cans but not catalyst and it was louder and deeper. Of course not a massive amount, but for the cheaper option it did make a difference.
Then you can spend time saving up for the end cans to be changed.

Is your bike one of the Testastretta engines ?

mikej
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Cheers. That's good to know and certainly a good deal cheaper than a full Termi system!!

Had my eye on some Arrows, but have also found some nice Sils and some nice MIVV ones that are around £150 cheaper so reckon i will go for those.

It's not a Testastretta engined one or i would have gone for the stubby Termi option. I read that there would be a version for the non-testa engined ones but not sure if it is out yet.
I emailed Ducati Glasgow who have them advertised last week but haven't heard anything back.
What do you have on yours J.P?

J.P
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Firstly the stubby exhaust only bolts directly onto the catalyst so you have to keep it. Bummer.

For me I went for a double sided hi-level version by Zard, rather than the stacked version you have. I wanted the double sided hi-level cans because I wanted to open up the rear wheel so it was a cleaner line showing off the single sided swing arm.

Carbon finish Quality was pretty good but not not has high as Termi or Sil Moto, I don't know of MIVV.
It has removeable baffles but they were welded in and had to be ruined to get out. And it's loud, just like the Arrow cans would be.

I've noticed all systems have their drawbacks in some way or another, like the Stubby exhaust but only with a catalyst, Termi rally nice but expensive etc.
My system has a cross over pipe that goes across to the other side over the back wheel, but it was so close to the small rear hugger I fitted its melted the carbon !
There's always something.

squiffything
09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
'ere Mike haven't you got a leg to stitch back on or something :)

Good to meet up yesterday and a great ride. As for exhausts keep an eye on the bay of thieves there's often a bargain comes up.

mikej
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I have an "admin" session this afternoon so i'd like to thanks all you tax payers out there for funding this thread! :-)

Yeah, thanks for the ride out yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it, my neck has even turned Ducati red from the sun as a reminder!

Too many options for exhausts and i'm too indecisive when it comes to things like this. Off on hols next week so will make a decision then and have them fitted by the end of the month and start terrorising my neighbours every morning.

J.P
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Good on you Mike.

barbican
09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
One low cost "decision avoidance" option is to core the standard cans - Good if you like them but want more noise

mikej
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I did look into that but there were lots of threads around saying they are VERY loud once you've cored them and it looked like a lot of work for someone as mechanically challenged as me!

Would probably end up welding my watch to it........

Dave G
09-06-2008, 03:55 PM
They aren't difficult to core, just time consuming.

I have to say that removing the cat makes a lot of difference to the stock cans noise,much more so than adding a race can onto an existing cat, I remember being impressed with the difference when I first did that, also, in the last week I had to remove my cored cans and refit the originals ones to put it through its first MOT, and though obviously much quieter I still think it sounds good and may even keep the legal cans on for a bit.