PDA

View Full Version : Ouch my wallet hurts

Jez
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
So I give my 620 to a one man band ex dukey machanic in New Malden for a service and he finds low compression on the back cylinder and the timing belt is one tooth out. Bent valves? Nope...took the head off and the top end is perfect. But there is a knocking coming from the bike and I though it had become slower lately.

So we are blaming it on the bottom end and a new engine is recommeded. Other poss causes of the knocking that have been suggested by a racing team mechanic is generator loose or even the clutch has become loose - which is interesting as I have just started to get some clutch slip. None of this explains the loss on compression though.

Luckily there was an engine on ebay that was good nick which now belongs to me for a tidy sum. Total bill a tidy grand.

I just hope I am doing the right thing!!

Any thoughts from anyone? I have gone down the road of a new motor now but would like to hear what anyone has to say. Large amounts of sympathy duly accepted!

As long as it ready for the Plymouth megaride next weekend. Anyone going btw?

slob
06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Was that Mike Dawson? top mechanic and no slouch round a racetrack either.

Jez
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
The racing Mechnic? I dont know. The chap that is working on my biked called him for me. My guy is Pat Foley.

Bodybag
06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
If you've bought your new engine, make sure you get the old one back and you can then tinker to your hearts content (or get someone off here to do it for you). Find out whats causing it, rectify it and sell it on yourself to recoup your costs from the new engine.

Jez
06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Sound advice Bodybag and that certainly is the plan! I need to learn more about these monsters anyway!

Snips
06-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Large amounts of sympathy duly accepted!

Duly directed your way.