PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! Rain killed my monster!!!

sarah
05-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Hi, I am desperate....
Rode an hour through the torrential rain Tuesday...then.. on M4 by Swindon... bike died .........on motorway at 60mph... everything went... total shut down.. (exciting :( .... clocks now stuck at 60mph 4,000 revs... no life... (I sat under motorway bridge for 3 HOURS!!!.waiting for 'rescue company'... lone woman biker... ha ... ) Yesterday I rang LouigiMoto in Keynsham Bristol.. he suggested take battery off... disconnect computer... done this ... still nothing... PLEASE help... Im desperate without my bike.... Thanks, Sarah
PS.. Its an '03 Monster.. 620 ie. 17,000 very happy miles

PhilLew
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I know this won't help but mine died in torrential rain on the M8 on Sunday.

Luckily it was only a fuse so a couple of minuets by the side of the road (river) and I was off again.

Maybe Monsters just don't like getting wet! (can't say I blame them)

Kato
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Ah water on the brain........I would be inclined to take the clocks of and into the warm dry them out, as most of the wizardry to make the bike go gets fed from there and probably does not like being flooded.

halina_r
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
you were near my neck of the woods - could have brought you a cuppa lol

Pedro
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Have you checked all the fuses including the main feed under the tank?

sarah
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I have let it dry out .. its been in the sun for 3 days. The 30 amp fuse had blown.. took the regulator off ... thought that was it.. put the fuse back in ... blew again... thinking of stamping on bike and buying a mate's old Faser... I need wheels and ones that dont let me down.

retskcid
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
something's shortin (obviously) so dont give up...

you may want to invest in some decent protection like this:

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

i bought some and sprayed everywhere electrical.

Nickj
06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Sarah, the clocks aren't going to dry out by just being left in the sun. If there's water inside it will sit as condensation on the inside of the case and the circuit board. The sealing on these units is not too good and worse it's variable, no where near as good as it should be on a £350 part.
I'd think you should get the casing apart now or sooner before the wet does any more damage. There's a strand on pulling the clocks apart. Leave them overnight in a dry warm place.
Really really DON'T try to power up the bike until you've done this as there is the possibility of shorting the main IC which will mean the bike won't start without a new set of clocks.
If after it's all dried out the clocks don't cycle across their range then I'm afraid they're dead and you'll need a new clock set.
In the meantime the bike will still run so just sub in a GPS as a speedo.

Nickj
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Mine went through the worst of last years floods fine and we went through some seriously deep water at one point up to the botton fork yokes!!
The bike was fine, actually ended up very clean but I wouldn commend this as a regular washing idea.
ACF50 won't help the clocks as the motors are designed for a low humidity environment then cleverly mounted in a shell that often lets water in.

barbican
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I have let it dry out .. its been in the sun for 3 days. The 30 amp fuse had blown.. took the regulator off ... thought that was it.. put the fuse back in ... blew again... thinking of stamping on bike and buying a mate's old Faser... I need wheels and ones that dont let me down.

What does that fuse protect? must still be water/shorting somewher

Nickj
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
The 30A is the main fuse so somethings not happy. This will probably be a problem somewhere between the alternator and the battery, look at the connectors carefully. Anything green and fuzzy or looking like it's been hot could be a good clur to or the source of the problem.
Pull apart all the connectors you can find, clean and make sure they're dry then stick back together, the loom itself should be OK and really just a visual once over is the best you can do without testing individual wires.

sarah
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey guys !! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL ADVICE ...its mended......I love my monster again... I know we women are fickle!!!It was nothing to do with the rain ... total red herring .... you were absolutely right about then 30 amp fuse and the wiring .... I spent 3 hours Friday evening poring over it with my exceptionally patient and longsuffering neighbour.... he unclipped everything on that wiring loop..... we blew fuse after fuse ... eventually nothing left... gave up to scratch our heads and try again next day... next morning rang my heroes... Louigimoto...( 01761453366 )... Chris answered... instantly knew... 'pull fuse box off rubber grommets that hold it to frame.. look behind at wiring loom'. There it was....... a bare wire touching the frame... apparently its a design fault... the frame is sharp and the wires rub on it... eventually one or more rubs bare and hey presto... things bang and stop... !!!!!!!!! So ... if you have a 620ie... or anything similar .. if I were u I would check... THANKS EVERYONE....

retskcid
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
excellent news!