PDA

View Full Version : Great Bentley anyone?

benson
04-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Just wondered if anyone fancies a run to GB this evening???

Snips
04-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Hmmm, if it stays dry, maybe I could, what's there?

Nonnie
04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
More bikes than you can generally shake a stick at, some mad bloke on a modded scooter selling Ealing Comedy DVD's, burger vans, a barbecue, a pub, a large village green, a shop and lots of bikey people. Do you want anything else???

For a teeny tiny village, it's actually very impressive.

Sadly, the most impressive I will be this evening is managing to cook dinner then falling asleep probaby on the sofa surrounded by cats who may or may not try to suffocate me.

Snips
04-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Nonnie - I need to buy a burger van and a large village green from that guy.

I'm in!

benson
04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Blimey - I've just been handed a big file to look at and make a decision on by this 7PM - it's work Jim but not as we know it... I will therefore be in Westminsterford until at least 7 this evening so may not be able to play out afterall.....However, on Saturday I have been told that the Red Dog 696 should have its termis on and I will therefore be stealing myself for a go!!!

Snips
04-06-2008, 03:35 PM
you tease :(

benson
04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh don't get me started - it's a piece of work to do with annual performance assessments for local authorities - hmmm - fun!!!

benson
04-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Will be heading there about 7 15 from London so will get there as faast as I can! Hurrah!!

Snips
04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
OK, I'll aim to be there from around 8pm - w00t!

Anyone else?

Nonnie
04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
My God, Rachels life is a roller coaster of emotions!

Have fun y'all now.

Snips
04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Woo Hoo!

Got back home from Gt Bentley at 11pm.

Sorry we were late Benson!

Thanks for the suggestion and waiting :) Hope you had a good ride home.

Cheers to Squiffy for the rideout.

Meanwhile, have a game of spot the UKMOC member, extra points for spotting our joint-president.

http://www.nigelstreet.com/GtBentley.jpg

Early start tomorrow, but I'll write up more later tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nige

singletrack
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
It's more a case of "spot the Monster" - it seems to be hidden by two naughty bikes and their owners!

benson
04-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey birthday girl! Good to see you boys this evening - and the bikes too! I was home at 10.55 so rather speedy ride home - good jab as the petrol light was just about on by the time I hit the M11!

All being well see you on Sunday - and I like the pic!!!

squiffything
05-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks you two for a lovely evening. Sorry about the last bit of the ride Nige the naughty bike decided that he wanted a blast on the last bit and went just a little over 70 Oooo the little rascal :) Forgot me rucksack so I guess I'll have to go back again now

Snips
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Had a blast riding home last night. We set off just before 10pm, and just after that photo was taken. Light was fading quickly, and it already felt darker than it appears in that photo.

Before leaving Gt Bentley, Squiffy and I agreed to take the A-Road route all the way back to Newmarket as it was late and I had work to do once I got home, and then an early start today. Having run-in the 696 in ever-so-carefully, avoiding constant runs, I was looking forward to an A-road blast to see that aspect of the bike.

Benson would be sharing the same initial route as we were all heading west on the A120. We all hit the road. For me, it was my first riding in the dark in the UK - it was immediately clear that the lights on the 696 are excellent, providing a clear view and giving confidence in the road ahead. A little dew had fallen and my clocks told me the air temp had fallen to 15C, but it felt cool but not cold. Squiffy and Benson may, or may not, have been pushing their bikes, but the 696 had no problems keeping up with their acceleration, even with my continued, self-imposed rev restriction (still following dealer advice to build up rev range, adding 1K per 100 miles).

I now have around 900 miles on the 696 and I feel the engine is freeing up already, though I expect it's still early days on that front. Continuing my staged run in, I'm now taking the bike to 8K rpm, so have yet to see the shift lights. I'll be lifting the self-imposed limit to 9K very shortly.

Now I'm using those higher revs, 4K, which had seemed like ample revs before, now feels like distinctly 'low revs' - funny how quickly you adjust :)

Anyway, I followed the two Hyperactives of Benson and squiffy as we headed for the A120 (I think ;) ).

Both their bikes sounded on form in the night, and glimpses in the lights looked the business too.

Squiffy and I needed fuel so we ducked off the A120 pretty soon and Benson disappeared into the night. I was disappointed our pack had split, as I would have liked to stick together as a threesome a little longer - not that I expected Benson to wait, of course. Nevertheless, it was good to get confirmation Benson had a safe ride home later that night.

Like Squiffy, I put fuel in. Unlike Squiffy, I had to remove my helmet to pay, at this point I remembered I had a bundle of ear-plugs in my pocket from way back, so decided to pop them in as we were going to stick to the A-Roads home.

The ride from there all the way home was brilliant, not the classic green-lane twisties, but a different form of high-speed almost sensory deprivation - riding by lights, in cool night air, with the sound of my bike and squiffy's muffled by the very effective ear-plugs. It was like a computer game, but with the real-world senses that no computer game can emulate, no matter how immersive.

We rode at between [an indicated] 80 and 85 mph* most of the way, making good time, but not being too silly. The mirrors didn't make sense of headlights behind, so fortunately our pace meant that wasn't a problem. I led most of the way, but nearing his turn off, Squiffy shot past in 'naughty mode' which was impressive to see, and hear :)

Squiffy turned off just outside Newmarket, but I continued on the A14 a few more miles as I was enjoying the run, and wanting to take the fast route home.

Back home at 11pm, and I removed my helmet and plugs to put my bike away, and suddenly the 696 sounded so LOUD, even at idle!

Bike tucked up safe, and it was time for me to do some work, but I was on a high from a great night out.... green twisty ride out, a fun mini-meet, and a cool blast home :thumbsup:

Thanks Benson! Thanks Squiffy!

*- all speeds mentioned in this post are entirely fictitious, and added for dramatic effect. Of course, speed limits were, and are, obeyed at all times ;)

squiffything
06-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Cracking write up Nige and summed up a great night time blast. It's lovely to be out on the A roads at night with little other traffic. The Hyper would I feel be a little tiring on long runs at those speed for a normal sized rider but for me (being that little bit challenged in the verticle) it was fine just stick my manly chest down on the tank my head behind the fairing and the wind blows straight over the top. It also helps with the speed/fuel consumption :). Oh how I love my bike it seems every ride just throws new pleasures at me.

Snips
23-06-2008, 10:43 AM
How often does this shindig come round? Monthly? (in which case I guess I'll have to wait until July)

Nevertheless, I'm having a couple of teeth fillings on Wednesday afternoon which means:

- I'm getting old.
- I'll want to get out on my bike.
- I'll be at home and ready to roll.

squiffything
23-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Hello Mr Snips I might be about on Wednesday and I think it is on every week. Went over to GB a completely different way the week before last and it took half the time and a cracking little run. You do have to get there early mind to see the bikes we arrived at half seven and there was plenty and the burger van was still serving unlike the 9.00 arrival where everyone had gone home.

Nonnie
23-06-2008, 11:14 AM
It's every week. I used to get there about 6ish.

Have fun. I won't be there for a bit now but hopefully over the summer holidays I might make it a few times.

slob
23-06-2008, 03:28 PM
T & I might put in an apperance, albeit briefly, the lure of either The Sun Inn or The Boathouse at Dedham for dinner seems a whole lot more attractive than 'burger van'

benson
23-06-2008, 03:47 PM
oooh oooooh yes yes yes! Nice dinner sounds good and I do believe I am in Londinium on Wednesday evening and if it's like it is tonight it would be rude not to go!!!

Hope the dentist is nice to you Mr Snips sir - and let's try to meet up on Wednesday!!!

slob
23-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Will call your mobile innit Madam Prez.

benson
23-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Well phat innit - happ'nin.....

Snips
23-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Hope the dentist is nice to you Mr Snips sir - and let's try to meet up on Wednesday!!!

Thanks and, indeed, let's do this!

We also have Squiffy (he's committed himself to this, even if he doesn't realise it ;) ), and slob (who's food requirements don't suit his name, apparently ;) ) - good stuff - anyone else?

I *promise* I'll be there at a reasonable time this time round - even if my mouth is anaesthetised for the early part of the evening.

I'll look forward to it :thumbsup:

(fingers crossed for a nice dry evening)

Nonnie
23-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey Cupcake. I went to the dentist last week. Had 2 injections. I asked (I use the term loosely as I feel sure I slurred my words) if I could have a sticker because I had been so good. He said NO! What a ****! Hope you got a sticker.

slob
23-06-2008, 10:38 PM
with a SMALL 's'!

...have no fear, I have years of experience communicating with those who dribble incoherently.

Snips
23-06-2008, 10:44 PM
with a SMALL 's'!

Earlier post edited to meet slob's branding spec.

( For someone who goes by the name of 'slob', you ain't half picky :) )

Snips
23-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey Cupcake. I went to the dentist last week. Had 2 injections. I asked (I use the term loosely as I feel sure I slurred my words) if I could have a sticker because I had been so good. He said NO! What a ****! Hope you got a sticker.

:)

I'll do my best, but I'm not optimistic.

I don't think my dentist got into dentistry for the 'people' side of the business :(

By the way, is that Amy Winehouse in your avatar?

slob
23-06-2008, 10:51 PM
( For someone who goes by the name of 'slob', you ain't half picky :) )

bike's usually nice and clean too

squiffything
24-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Having damaged my big toe in a near fatal highly dangerous extreme stunt type episode Ok I landed wrong on the trampoline and it really really hurts I should say that I won't be able to make it but given it's a chance to get out on the NB with such great monsterers as our lady pres, the Hairy one and the lurvly T oh and Snips and Uncle Fester then I will be coming along. Anyone else fancy a run out?

benson
24-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Squiffster - you is injured innit!!! OMG - call da paramedix - is you OK bled???

Hoping to see you Wednesday evening one and all!!!

Hoorah!!!

Grumpy
24-06-2008, 09:01 PM
room for one more....should be able to make it for about 7ish.

Snips
24-06-2008, 09:43 PM
room for one more....should be able to make it for about 7ish.

Great! See you there.

I'm hoping to be there closer to 6 - 6:30, depending on Squiffy's little piggy ;)

Paranoid Dave
25-06-2008, 06:34 AM
I might see you there.

Snips
25-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Weather looking good!

squiffything
25-06-2008, 09:04 AM
What time do you want to set off oh cake making guru. I shall be home from work around 5.15 and have told Sarah that we will be heading off early do you want to head over to mine for around 5.30 the route will be from mine anyway

Snips
25-06-2008, 10:18 AM
oh cake making guru

That's more like it - a bit of respect for my talents with a wooden spoon, now how about some for my 696, eh?

Cool, see you at your place around 5:30. Don't expect me to say much, my mouth will be out-of-action (is that cheering I hear?)

How's your little piggy?

squiffything
25-06-2008, 10:30 AM
it bloomin well hurts am sitting in the office with my boots off but I will be brave and enjoy the run this evening. See ya later.