PDA

View Full Version : Hi All - Monster 1000

symbiker
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I've just bought a M1000sie and am absolutely lovin it. It has taken me 14 years of biking to try a v twin and more importantly a Ducati - I only wish I had bought one sooner!

Thanks for the technical posts which I found to be really helpful, alongside your comments on ownership and servicing.

The bike's pretty standard - apart from the Sil Motor pipes which sound great. I am thinking about a power commander, a comfort seat and some carbon, I'll have to work my way through this list gradually unless of course my winning numbers come up!

I would be really interested in hearing what people think the best mods are for the 1000 and if a power commander is worth it.

Cheers, Sym

Pedro
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
You've made a good choice there! The 1000DS is a corker.

Mine has the following....
Marchesini Wheels
Brembo P4 calipers (awesome)
Brembo Radial master cylinders
Rizoma reservoirs
Magura Fat Bar Conversion (same as S2R/S4R)
Power Commander
K&N Filter and open airbox
DP Forks
Ohlins Rear Shock with remote preload
DP Folding Indicators (a god send when squeezing past it in the garage!)
DP Fuel Cap
DP Comfort Seat (bliss!)
High Level DP Titanium Cans
Carbon Arrow Tail tidy
Cycle Cat Rear Sets
Rizoma Bar End mirrors
Titanium sprocket cover
MPL Clutch Slave Cylinder
And as of next week a full Sil Motor Spagetti exhaust to go with the DP Cans!

As you can see this is one sorted bike (by the previous owner mostly!) and is excellent on the road.

Get the suspension and brakes well sorted so it turns and stops properly then add a Power Commander for extra giddy up. With the right set up you should be able to get mid 90s horsepower at the rear wheel and bucket loads of torque.

Oh, and try some Michelin pilot power 2CTs, they're ace!

Ped

symbiker
04-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Pedro,
Not sure that my budget will extend to sorting the suspension just yet - do you think the power commander worthwhile or should I put that £250 towards an Ohlins for the rear?
Sym

Pedro
04-06-2008, 08:18 AM
The PC is a worthwhile mod but they do get a little thirsty afterwards (90 ish miles to a tank or 70 ish if I'm in a hurry). Having said that, it does smooth out the fueling nicely!!

Just getting the stock suspension set up properly by someone who knows will help - try Dave Wood Racing up in Aylesbury or maybe Rosso Corse in London

JR
04-06-2008, 09:19 AM
My only mod is also Sil Pipes (with db killers - coz they are so loud ) and a smaller front sprocket, then it is just "twist and go" - not being podgy like Ped i dont need any extra BHP to propel me at a brisk rate of knots! I think a better seat will be my next mod as i lack podgyness in the derrie're, but apart from that, it is a top bike.

Stafford
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Pedro,
Not sure that my budget will extend to sorting the suspension just yet - do you think the power commander worthwhile or should I put that £250 towards an Ohlins for the rear?
Sym

Buy it from the US for around £150. Do a search on here and you'll find a link.

Stafford
04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Magura Fat Bar Conversion (same as S2R/S4R)

DP Folding Indicators (a god send when squeezing past it in the garage!)

DP Comfort Seat (bliss!)

Ped

Can someone else take the **** please or I'll end up in the naughty corner.

squiffything
04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Staff I had noticed the mods made to Peds bike all seemed to be geared to the comfort/improvement of the bike for the more meatier rider but didn't want to say anything. But as you asked so nicely :)

Welcome to the forum Sym good luck and happy riding on the beast. If you fancy a run out to meet a few of us have a look at the Bury bike show thread for this coming Sunday.

benson
04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Indeed - and then of course there's London events - Ace Cafe italian night next Thursday and watch out in the area sections too - happy monstering!

Pedro
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Just remember fellas that I didn't make most of the mods, a certain ex-president did.

I can't help it if they suit me too!

:chuckle:

Oh, and the 14 tooth sprocket on the front is very worthwhile as JR mentioned

slob
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Were you SimonS this time last week?