PDA

View Full Version : Short Side Stand Sorted

Stuart42
01-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi all

well after sarky comments at Loomies and my two mates wincing every time I stood my Monster up at Le Mans I've finally got it to stand up a lot better.

I bought a steel side stand that had the superbike fixing on from Bike Enders. Sadly when I went to fit it the holes were in the wrong place so put it in my box of 'may come in handy one day bits'.

Anyway did a search on the forum and found I was using the wrong holes to mount it.

So had another go and after getting a new bolt and making a spacer I now have it fitted and she stands up a treat.

I measured to a fixed point and basically the bike stands about 2 inches more up right, which as I have Louigi jack up bolts suits it fine.

Am well chuffed as thought I was stuck with a slopping Monster.All I have to do now is have a fiddle with the wiring as the stand I have has 3 wires and the Monster has two.

It no longer flicks up now as the previous owner of the stand cut the bolt down. I'll see how I get on with a stand that stays down as I've got lazy

gary tompkins
01-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Stuart,

Revised late model stands that stay down rather than self-retract, are designed to work in conjunction with a cut-out switch, which prevents bike being ridden off with it down. Y2K (ish) types couldn't even be started until sidestand was raised (A PITA but easily cured by aftermarket mods), where as later versions could be started, but stalled (stand down) if the bike was put in gear.

Early monsters (with spring loaded stand) had an idiot light on dash to show if stand was down, so maybe this could act as your warning instead of cut-out switch? Having no warning & non-retracting stand at all is a risky game, as it's an accident just waiting to happen IMO. Been there, done that and shat me pants BTW ;)

Stuart42
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Gary

thanks for that.

This explains the more complicated switch but hopefully I'll be able to get it to at least activate the dash warning light.

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart42
02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Gary

thanks for your pointers, got home last night and had a quick look.

This morning got up and had a proper fiddle and now have a warning light on dash showing when stand is down.

Am so chuffed I've sorted this.

Cheers
Stuart