PDA

View Full Version : coils run hot ?

darko
30-05-2008, 03:34 PM
whilst working yesterday on my starter motor i left the ignition switch on to avoid the damn alarm auto setting itself and then going off when i nudged the bike...

however i noticed after an hour or hour and a half the coils where very hot - is this normal ?

gary tompkins
30-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Oooh... not a good idea & could damage H/T side of ignition

Monster Coils + CDI ignitors also cost £££'s to replace & are hard to track down

Decent alarms usually have a maintainance mode, so you can work on or move bike without setting it off. My datatool has a setting for this & also one to just disable it's movement sensor. I would check out the instructions for the alarm, or contact the manufacturers for advice?

darko
30-05-2008, 08:13 PM
hi Gary,

thanks for the advice - ill look into the different modes for the alarm (also datatool)

actually got the bike running today (very happy !) and the coils run cool once the engine is running so yes, i guess leaving the ignition on and not starting the engine is not a good idea !

jerry
30-05-2008, 09:41 PM
we have all made this mistake sometime ....once !

gary tompkins
30-05-2008, 09:57 PM
hi Gary,

thanks for the advice - ill look into the different modes for the alarm (also datatool)

actually got the bike running today (very happy !) and the coils run cool once the engine is running so yes, i guess leaving the ignition on and not starting the engine is not a good idea !

My datatool is put in maintanance mode as follows...

Disarm alarm, turn on ignition, push arm button, turn off ignition. Alarm will then chirp every few seconds to remind me it's set that way. I think pushing the arm button again cancels this, and sets it back to "self arm" mode.

There is also a triangle button on my key fob, which when pressed disables the movement sensor allowing bike to be moved about. Alarms will still active on immobiliser circuit only when this is done.

Check out datatool website for more info or support/manuals

http://www.datatool.co.uk/