PDA

View Full Version : Basic "away" tool kit?

rossdean
26-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I am going to be touring on my new S4RS and was hoping for some advice on a basic set of tools to carry for chain adjustment, suspension adjustment, temporary puncture repair, light bulb replacement, fuse replacement, oil replacement, filter replacement and any other general quick/routine maintenance that I haven’t thought of. I am not a mechanic and any serious problem will result in a call to the Ducati Owners club or the AA.
Thanks in advance :)

slob
26-05-2008, 06:01 PM
get a 9xx superbike c-spanner from eBay, as there isn't one in the standard Monster toolkit, other than a fuse or two and a spare tail-light bulb, I'd just carry a phone and RAC/AA card.(I just do the phone and card personally)

Nickj
26-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Mobile and RAC.
Rear wheel needs a big spanner/socket and ratchet at least so I never bother.
A few bulbs and fuses are a good idea though, I'd just go tail, headlight and one indicator.
The rip a bigger hole, insert a mushroom puncture repair system works, the RAC use them as a quick fix.
UNLESS of course you're going to the ass end of beyond in which case take everything PLUS parts!!

Dave G
26-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Just get a 916 toolkit from a ducati dealer,they should be around £15 and while still basic its better than your oe one.

If this works you should be able to see the two toolkits for comparison.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=8800&d=1139241276

And the thread in which this has already been discussed a while back.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19111&highlight=toolkit

Hope that helps.

mad_turnips
26-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Pack Slob and /or AK

mad_turnips
26-05-2008, 08:34 PM
oh and AA gets my vote

gary tompkins
26-05-2008, 09:10 PM
A small jerry can for extra fuel may be a good idea too?

jerry
26-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I always carry a set of allen keys, a tyre mushroom kit and air refills ,spare tail bulb and indicator bulbs,some tie wraps and black tape,fuses, basic screwdriver spanner kit from Ducati ...it all fits under the seat.

rossdean
27-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It seems the best tools to take include:
allen keys
bulbs (headlight, tail light & indicator)
fuses
grippy thing
insulating tape
plugs (2)
plug wrench
screwdriver (reversible flat/cross head)
spanners (10, 12, 14mm)
tie wraps
tyre mushroom kit and air refills (or superglue and a self tapping screw)

It just occurred to me that my head is still in BMW GS mode :spin: (previous bike). As some of you said, all I really need is an AA card and a phone for most trips - stop fussing and get riding is the underlying message and I thank you for it :running:

alreadyinuse
27-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Phone and RAC card.

you dont need anything else.