PDA

View Full Version : rev counter

pfcdaz
21-05-2008, 08:26 PM
is it possible, and has anyone ever tried fitting a rev counter to an m600 monster??
any ideas how i could go about it?

seems like an interesting challenge....

Scotty
21-05-2008, 08:36 PM
yup its easy (but i haven't done it) take a signal from one of the coil inputs for an electricky one

CK & AK
21-05-2008, 08:38 PM
yes, been done quite frequently - particularly to DD bikes too.

pfcdaz
21-05-2008, 09:41 PM
should have been more clear, specificaly a 95 monster with no rev counter attached as standard....

alreadyinuse
21-05-2008, 10:29 PM
whats yer question?
will a revcounter from a later monster fit an earlier one?

pfcdaz
23-05-2008, 10:56 PM
basically is it possible to put a rev counter on a bike that currently has none? it is a 95 monster so comes with speedo only, i haven't got a clue about how the rev counter works and whether it is a possibility or not

Kato
24-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Yes .........very easy you will need a rev counter and a housing to put both clocks into....(ebay!!!!!!) then all you need to do is take a feed for the rev signal, if you are lucky your rev counter will come with a mini loom so just plug & play

pfcdaz
24-05-2008, 08:48 AM
where does the rev counter get its data from though? where would it plug into, forgive my ignorance, i don't actually know what the rev counter reads in order to show the revs

Scotty
24-05-2008, 09:36 AM
there are 3 types (that I'm aware of)

mechanical drive as used on the SS engines this takes a cable (like a mechanical speedo cable) from the front cylinder camshaft

electrical falls into two types

as used on modern injected bike with an ECU, the ECU sends a signal to the elctric clocks which a chip in the clocks converts to show on the stepper motor in them
the signal that the ECU sends out is basically the same signal that gets send to one of the coils and then spark plug (its just a lower current which suits electronic clocks better i guess)

the other electric variation as used on carbed bikes with no ECU (listen up this ones for you ;) )
is essentially the same as above and all you need to do is tag a wire onto one of the coils at the (low tension side) and use that to send the signal to just about any after market clock you can think of

if you have something in mind post a link up so we can have a gander it it

pfcdaz
24-05-2008, 10:05 AM
no plans yet, but i find it irritating riding without a rev counter (no symmetry without 2 clocks, that may make me a bit weird :) ) , the monster is my first big bike since passing my test and i have no idea what revs i am riding it in, whether i am being to gentle with it (as i suspect i am!!)

from what i have heard i should be reving the nuts off it.

Scotty
24-05-2008, 10:15 AM
pretty much, when it stops pulling change up, I cant think of any instances of a blown up 600 engine = indestructible

but rev counters are nice to look at, I'd miss mine like

Kato
24-05-2008, 02:20 PM
If its not shaking your fillings out then you aint reving it that hard