PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor on permanently...

Rod
20-05-2008, 10:57 AM
..happened yesterday just as I got on the flaming ferry! Parked the bike, turned the key off and the starter kicked in and just kept going, in the end I had to disconnent the battery. After I'd pushed it off the ferry back in Blighty I disconnected the starter, reconnected the battery and tried to get it gonig by touching the lead to the starter, now the bloody thing wouldn't fire up! :banghead: After a few more goes of 'hotwiring' it I think it must've blown the fuse as now the starter won't turn at all even though there's plenty of life in the battery, cue breakdown recovery truck home. :cry:

Soooo, any of you clever chaps got any idea what I'm looking for just before I take it to bits? Thanks in advance, I'll be in the shed. :Furious:

It's an '01 S4 btw.

Snips
20-05-2008, 11:44 AM
That sucks.

Sounds like you've missed out on a trip :(

I'm not mechanically minded, I'm afraid - but it's bizarre it should happen with the ignition key off. I'd suspect an electrical fault with the starter switch, but the ignition being off implies there's a second short circuit with the ignition - maybe this points at the ECU?

I wonder if the engine cut off would have had an effect?

Hope you get it sorted.

Rod
20-05-2008, 11:52 AM
That sucks.

Sounds like you've missed out on a trip :(

I'm not mechanically minded, I'm afraid - but it's bizarre it should happen with the ignition key off. I'd suspect an electrical fault with the starter switch, but the ignition being off implies there's a second short circuit with the ignition - maybe this points at the ECU?

I wonder if the engine cut off would have had an effect?

Hope you get it sorted.

It was on the way back so didn't ruin the trip thankfully! Nothing would stop it, killswitch off, key out, sidestand down it was still turning over, hence I had to disconnect battery. :confused:

barbican
20-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a dodgy solenoid?

madhatter
20-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes, exactly that!

I had the same thing on my old 750, turned the ignition off and the starter motor kept going, kill switch no effect, no way of stopping it except disconnecting the battery.

The solonoid sits between the battery and the starter motor, so if it welds itself closed, the starter motor never stops until the battery is flat. If it welds itself open, you can't start it.

Simple, easy change, available from most ducati spares stockists.:thumbsup:

benson
20-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Happened to me on my 600 ages ago - caused great amusement in the school car park...Solenoid it is...

Rod
20-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Cool, thanks for that.

Where's the solenoid, exactly? :o

madhatter
21-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Happened to me on my 600 ages ago - caused great amusement in the school car park...Solenoid it is...

Yes, mine did it as I pulled up at a Motorbike Rally with about 500 other Bikers, so went down brilliantly prompting helpful remarks such as...."more Italian crap electrics"...."typical ducati rubbish"..."why don't you get a reliable Jap bike instead of that mess of italian spagghetti"...oh how I laughed!!:mad: :banghead:

moor-ph0
21-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi,
Definetly starter solenoid - of at early stages of staying ON a good wack of the solenoid normally disengages it. Worked for me.

Geoff

Rod
21-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Pulled the solenoid, got a new one from MotoRapido for a very reasonable 21 quid, gonna collect it tomorrow. Hopefully that'll cure it.

Thanks for all replies. :thumbsup:

Capo
21-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, mine did it as I pulled up at a Motorbike Rally with about 500 other Bikers, so went down brilliantly prompting helpful remarks such as...."more Italian crap electrics"...."typical ducati rubbish"..."why don't you get a reliable Jap bike instead of that mess of italian spagghetti"...oh how I laughed!!:mad: :banghead:

The solenoid is a Denso, made in Japan

Snips
21-05-2008, 03:49 PM
* Disclaimer - I'm not mechnically minded *

However, I am surprised that the solenoid would cause this problem with the ignition off - shouldn't that break just about every circuit? (except the alarm / immobiliser ;) )

Live and learn.

Glad you got it sorted, Rod :thumbsup:

Rod
21-05-2008, 04:03 PM

Likewise, mines is an Hitachi. Not so clever after all, those Japs. ;-)

However, I am surprised that the solenoid would cause this problem with the ignition off - shouldn't that break just about every circuit? (except the alarm / immobiliser )

Not quite sure, but I think if the solenoid welds shut it makes a direct link between the battery, starter and earth. But I could be talking complete bollocks. Seems like a good place to start for the sake of 21 quid. :)

katana
21-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Pulled the solenoid, got a new one from MotoRapido for a very reasonable 21 quid, gonna collect it tomorrow. Hopefully that'll cure it.

Thanks for all replies. :thumbsup:

The better bosch replacement is £7 Next time call me and I'll send you one or ask your brother and nick it off his paso:mand:

katana
21-05-2008, 04:34 PM

So's most of the electrics, replace it with a nice german/japanese one.

Rod
21-05-2008, 04:37 PM
The better bosch replacement is £7 Next time call me and I'll send you one or ask your brother and nick it off his paso:mand:

Genuine Lol moment! His paso went on fire on Wednesday last week, day before we went to France! He had to borrow a mates K1100LT, it looked like the side of a house! :mand:

Capo
21-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Likewise, mines is an Hitachi. Not so clever after all, those Japs. ;-)

Not quite sure, but I think if the solenoid welds shut it makes a direct link between the battery, starter and earth. But I could be talking complete bollocks. Seems like a good place to start for the sake of 21 quid. :)

You are correct.

The question is why?, presumably the relay (aka the solenoid) contacts are able to handle the connect/disconnect load, it would take an excessive ammount of current to cause them to weld.
It would be interesting to open it up for examination.

Rod
21-05-2008, 05:07 PM
You are correct.

The question is why?, presumably the relay (aka the solenoid) contacts are able to handle the connect/disconnect load, it would take an excessive ammount of current to cause them to weld.

Soon as I get the new one, I'll take a hacksaw to the duff one and post the pics.

gary tompkins
21-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Repeated cold starting on a low battery, with bad earths or a naff starter motor won't help either - especially in winter when the oil is thicker. All increase up the current draw through the solenoid contacts and may eventually cause them to weld closed.

Rod
23-05-2008, 09:54 AM
It lives! Was just the starter relay, easy replacement. I'm a happy boy! :mand:

Rod
23-05-2008, 10:54 AM
You are correct.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/rod3212/DSC00053.jpg

No obvious signs of damage, shorting or anything else inside it.:confused:

The magic smoke must've escaped, is all I can think of. :)

lcjohnny
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
If the Bosch solenoid is better than the Denso - does anyone know it's part number or what it was originally fitted to?

Jon G