PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure warning light

Fast Eddie
19-05-2008, 06:12 PM
What could be the reasons for the oil pressure light coming on when there's plenty oil in the bike? It's just flickering at tick over, occasionally staying on more constantly but goes off as soon as you tweak the throttle or ride off. Have put in a little extra oil (maybe slightly too much) but this hasn't made any difference.
Eddie.

Nonnie
19-05-2008, 06:16 PM
My bike has done this before. It was found to be moisture down by the little plug thing. You can try removing the thing and blowing.

It used to happen when I started my bike and would gradually get dimmer until it wasn't lit anymore.

However if it comes on suddenly when riding then best to stop immediately and get some help.

There endeth my technical answer!

Albie
19-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Mine does this after a good run. It got me worried as it happened on the first time we went to weekender. I thought I may need an oil cooler but I dont thrash it. Seems to come and go.

gary tompkins
19-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Try swapping switch for new one - I had one go naff on trike just like that in 2006. Started flickering on/off at tickover, followed by leaking oil from the top (and covering my right leg) on the way home from Arrow Mill.

Oh how I laughed :rolleyes:

Headhunter
19-05-2008, 07:03 PM
They always come on for the wrong reason and never the right!

Try www.wemoto.com for replacement.

Fast Eddie
19-05-2008, 07:06 PM
The switch you talk about - is it a black plug thing mounted vertically above the sight glass? If so, then coincidently there is a bit of oil coming out of there that has never been before. Is this a simple job to do and what's the official name for this if I need to buy one?
Cheers,
Eddie.

Nonnie
19-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes it is. I don't know what it's called.

I'd say dry it off, give it a good blow (shut up) and try again.

Fast Eddie
19-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok I'm blowing, I'm blowing....:chuckle:

Scotty
19-05-2008, 10:20 PM
oil pressure switch , if its weeping now get a new one quick before it starts pissing out all over the place

if I remember correctly I think there's a vauxhaull equivalent part but couldnt tell you what

dlloyduk
19-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Oil Pressure Switch: GM part No. 93190643
About £4.00 I think.

gary tompkins
19-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Don't think the pukka Ducati branded switches cost a lot. I'm sure it was less than a tenner for my replacement. Mind you that was a few years back so they may be more expensive now?

Fast Eddie
20-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks all for the advice and part nos. etc, it seems likely this is what the cause is as after unplugging it and drying it off it has, at least for now, fixed it. Have taken onboard what you said Scotty about the weeping oil being possibly the start of something worse so will replace I think.

On a different point the oil level has been difficult to check due to much documented emulsion on the sight glass. Have managed to clear most of it now as it is getting warmer out but Gary you mentioned in a previous thread putting a 'breather' on your trike which cured the problem. Where would I find one of these, are they worthwhile, pricey etc?

Thanks again.
Eddie.

Albie
20-05-2008, 07:23 PM
About £4.00 I think.

Is that the later model with the quick connector or the earlier one with the crimp connectors.

gary tompkins
20-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks all for the advice and part nos. etc, it seems likely this is what the cause is as after unplugging it and drying it off it has, at least for now, fixed it. Have taken onboard what you said Scotty about the weeping oil being possibly the start of something worse so will replace I think.

On a different point the oil level has been difficult to check due to much documented emulsion on the sight glass. Have managed to clear most of it now as it is getting warmer out but Gary you mentioned in a previous thread putting a 'breather' on your trike which cured the problem. Where would I find one of these, are they worthwhile, pricey etc?

Thanks again.
Eddie.

I got my breather filter on ebay - not very expensive

I'll try and dig out a link later

Jan (Belgium)
27-05-2008, 09:00 PM
had the same problem last year, turned out to be a missing yellow rubber gasket (disconnect the upper part and you should see the yellow thing, if not then you just found what's causing the problem).
Water came in and gave false contact, dealer found out after replacing three of those pressure sensors in two weeks. (all for free under warranty)

Albie
27-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Jan I have checked mine and mine was coming on over the weekend after a good run up to the museum on tickover. No water ingress on this. I will order a new switch tomorrow.

gary tompkins
27-05-2008, 10:42 PM
snip>... On a different point the oil level has been difficult to check due to much documented emulsion on the sight glass. Have managed to clear most of it now as it is getting warmer out but Gary you mentioned in a previous thread putting a 'breather' on your trike which cured the problem. Where would I find one of these, are they worthwhile, pricey etc?

Thanks again.
Eddie.

Ebay Link as promised...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-748-749-916-996-998-999-Monster-ST2-3-4-SS_W0QQitemZ290233236372QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10448QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not the exact filter kit I used - but pretty much the same TBH

dlloyduk
27-05-2008, 11:03 PM
About £4.00 I think.

Is that the later model with the quick connector or the earlier one with the crimp connectors.

The one with the quick connector single socket AMP type.

Pressure is slightly different as the trigger point is a higher pressure = earlier warning of low oil pressure = bigger safety margin.