PDA

View Full Version : Help looking for accessories for 696

R-KivE
16-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey, Hello everyone, just a bit of advice needed really just ordered my 696 and will be hopefully gettin her in a months time.

I don't really like the stock mirrors and would like some bar end ones, can anyone reccomend some that will fit the 696?

Also I don't like the rear end, is there a way to tidy it up?

1 more thing is the windscreen type thing up front, I would like a smoked one.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

markus
16-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Have a look at oberon, rizoma and even Motrax do some nice bar end mirrors now.

The rest of the accessories will follow I'm sure theres normally a comprehensive official accessories catalogue for most dukes that'll cover the other bits you'd like

R-KivE
16-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Cool, so will the mirrors just be universal fit?

Also with regards to the tail tidy, is there a universal one that should do the job?
Its just I want that done asap, and the offical parts will probably take a while to be released.

Thanks for the reply.

PeterPoddy
16-05-2008, 07:46 PM
There is already an official tail tidy in the Ducati accessories brochure. I don't know how much they are, but I did see a pic last weekend. Looks a lot better, I shall probably get one for mine when it arrives (This month?)
There's mirrors, exhausts, indicators too and I've ordered a specific 696 tankbag.
There is also an official range of matching clothing for both men and women, gloves, jackets etc.

It all on the Ducati site, and very easy to find.

PeterPoddy
16-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Also, to be honest, the best thing you could possibly buy for a 696 is a 1 tooth smaller front srocket, because they are waaaaaay overgeared to meet noise regs. 6th gear is useless below 75mph.

I assume you've test ridden one?

NattyBoy
16-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Come on boys - we need to see some pics of a blinged up one !

R-KivE
16-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah test rode it today, only for around 15 minutes thought.

I have looked on the ducati site and you must purchase in store. I checked at my local and they say they haven't a clue when accesories will be released. Is there anywhere online to buy the gear from?

I will probably change the sprocket too, it does have a lose gearing.

Where could I get the sprocket from? are they specific to the bike?

Cheers.

Pedro
16-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Try Craig at Moto Rapido (01962 877998), he's happy to mail stuff out

Ped

R-KivE
16-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Try Craig at Moto Rapido (01962 877998), he's happy to mail stuff out

Ped

Thanks for that, I managed to find their website and have emailed Craig,

Thanks.

Pedro
16-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Tell him you're a UKMOC member and you should get some discount - tell him I'm told you that!

Ped

R-KivE
17-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a reply back from Craig,

The price for the tail tidy is around £100, and the smoked front windscreen is £50.

Is this quite expensive for such simple things?

Would it be best to wait for other brands to release thier versions? as £100 for a tail tidy seems quite a lot.

singletrack
17-05-2008, 01:16 PM
It does sound a lot, but I don't imagine anyone else does them yet.

If you want to be ahead of the pack you will have to pay Ducati prices, otherwise you may have to wait some time.

COR
17-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Try M&P also.... They are showing Puig belly pans in their catalogue to be available 2008 for the 696 in black or carbon look. No price stated though. The Ducati Accessories catalogue doesn't show any belly pans. Worth checking with M&P when they will be available and what other bits and pieces they will be stocking for the 696.

COR
17-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Just looking in the M&P Catalogue they show morror bar ends (60mm dia mirrors) to fit steel or alloy bars. Sold as pair (as expected) Black or silver £64.99.

alreadyinuse
17-05-2008, 06:45 PM
you get bar end mirrors off fleabay for £20.
they look really similar to crg's just alot cheaper.

MrsJel
18-05-2008, 08:50 AM
This is probably far too practical info for this thread BUT for those that might be interested in getting ventura luggage - last I heard from Ventura about 2 weeks ago was that they were waiting for ducati nz to release them a 696 so they could get the design together for the brackets.

Not as good as tail tidies and mirrors and and ... but I've got so used to the system on the S2R - will have to fit this asap.

Natty - I can post a photo of the 696 with the brackets on when it all comes together :chuckle:

Carole

PeterPoddy
18-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah test rode it today, only for around 15 minutes thought.

I have looked on the ducati site and you must purchase in store. I checked at my local and they say they haven't a clue when accesories will be released. Is there anywhere online to buy the gear from?

I will probably change the sprocket too, it does have a lose gearing.

Where could I get the sprocket from? are they specific to the bike?

Cheers.

I did 40+ miles on my test ride. Back roads, dual carrigeways, town riding, the lot. I gave it a right thrashing, hit rev limiter, the lot.
This is what I noted and my thoughts on that since -

At 75mph the 696 is doing 4500rpm in 6th, so with a 9000-9500 rpm rev limiter (That's about where the light came on!) it's gerared for 150+ mph, which ain't gonna happen with 80bhp!
My GFs 695 is doing 5000rpm at the same speed. Even my 955i Speed Triple, with 30bhp more, is doing about 4700rpm at 75! The S3 is also geared for 150ish MPH, which is fine because it has the power to go nearly that fast (I've had 140 on the clock, still accelerating), the 696 doesn't.
As you try and accellerate from 70/75mph on a 696, it sort of shudders and bogs down a bit: You need to drop 2 gears to get useful drive. From what I've read it's to help it pass the noise emmisions tests, and as such 6th gear is virtually useless. It's even a bit too high for cruising, IMO

So,
Standard sprockts are 15f, 45r, giving a 1:3.0 ratio
With a 14/45 combination that drops to 1:3.21, a change of about 6.5%.
So at 75mph, 4500 becomes around 4800rpm, and the motor sits nearer it's sweet spot and of course all the other gears are lower too, giving better acceleration in any gear. Yes, it may use a touch more fuel, but my GFs 695 does around 54mpg, so that's no bother IMO.
:)
I did a similar thing to my CB500s some years ago, it really perked the bike up and that wasn't anywhere near as high geared as a 696.

So, I intend to run mine in as standard and get the dealer to fit a 14t at the first service. I doubt it'll be much more than a tenner, I also imagine it'll be pretty much identical to most other Ducatis' sprockets.

And also.....
It would stand to reason that if the accessories haven't been released yet, then you won't be able to buy them anywhere, even online, yes?

I reckon you're in too much of a rush to start messing around with it, TBH. Chill out dude, there's pleanty of time for all that shenanigans!

http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_rr.png

R-KivE
18-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Nice write up mate, I think I will do the same at the first service.

Yeah I am rushing in to the mods to early, its just nice to get an idea of how you want your bike to look.

I found some pictures of the 696 with some mods,

Here it is standard,

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Ducati/696PearlW_300dpi.jpg

Titanium Exhaust and Carbon Bits

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3460/6961en6.jpg

Carbon Exhaust

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5021/6962gk5.jpg

R-KivE
18-05-2008, 08:37 PM
you get bar end mirrors off fleabay for £20.
they look really similar to crg's just alot cheaper.

Do you have a link to these?

Do they definatly fit the monster?

PeterPoddy
19-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Ohh, Thanks for the pics there fella!
:D

I'm liking the tail tidy, and I'll probably have one of those, but I'm getting a red 696 and I'd rather keep the front mudguard red too, but the carbon looks good on that white one!

I might try and find some nicer mirrors, but the standatd ones aren't too bad really, they just look a bit plasticky IMO. Ducati are listing replacement indicators too, but I reckon the standard ones are pretty nice.

Another thing I'll do is uprate the headlight bulbs. I do ride a fair bit at night and my S3 has 2 headlights and a better bean than most cars I've driven, so that's a cheap mod that's worth doing reckon.

Did you know there's a range of 696 clothing coming out too? It's all on the accesories website.

This is probably far too practical info for this thread BUT for those that might be interested in getting ventura luggage - last I heard from Ventura about 2 weeks ago was that they were waiting for ducati nz to release them a 696 so they could get the design together for the brackets.

Not as good as tail tidies and mirrors and and ... but I've got so used to the system on the S2R - will have to fit this asap.

Natty - I can post a photo of the 696 with the brackets on when it all comes together :chuckle:

Carole

Yes, I've looked into this as well.....
We do a fair bit of touring (with tents and things....) and I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't get a decent amout of luggage onto, end of story.
I emailed Ventura before I even went for a test ride as my Oxford panniers will probably sit on top of the exhausts. Those Ventura racks load up pretty quickly, too. And it's easy to tranfer them to another bike. I'd be interested to see the pics if you have any.....
They told me June/July befoere they have a system to fit, so that really ties in with what you've said there.

I've already ordered the official tank bag to go with mine, but reading above I doubt I'll get it with the bike!

There's also a touring seat. I thought the standard one was OK for the 40 mile test ride actually, but from what I've seen the touring one has red piping on it. Which would be nice....
;)

I'll see how the standard one is first, though. No sense replacing it if it's comfy......:rolleyes:

R-KivE
20-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah Tail tidy is definatly on my list, just not sure whether to wait for a cheaper alternative.

Yeh Im not going to bother changing the panels etc to carbon fibre, start getting expensive.

The standard mirrors I think are made of magnesium or similar, they would probably snap quite easy by the look of them. I will get some neat little bar end ones I think.

R-KivE
20-05-2008, 11:22 AM
And yeah I know about the clothing range, I have got my eye on the Monster leather jacket, only thing im worried about is, will they be dead common amongst the new 696 owners?

Lucati
20-05-2008, 11:38 AM
The 696 I test rode had lost a mirror by an over enthusiastic testee! I really like the clothing range but have my eye on a really simple all black number with the ducati logo text in white - quite small on the front back and arms.

And some monster underpants of course!