PDA

View Full Version : another amateur having probs with hi-level termi's

JimmyF
15-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I bought some high level termignoni exhausts for an S4 off fleabay cheap because one of the exhausts was damaged. I've just had it returned after being resleaved. Now that I've mounted them on the bike the rhs pipe seems to stick out too far so that it, a) looks ****e and b) the hanger will not go on even with the spacers and longer bolts.

I've tried angling it several ways but it just ain't happening and always protrudes too much. I've included some photobucket photos if that might help (yes, the bike is in my parents' dining room, I rode it in there while she was out shopping so saved her making the decision, it's only been in there 3 weeks :Furious: ).
Could it be the angle of the header pipe and would it be possible to bend it in a bit or is this a silly idea? (I had no probs with the originals on)

I know darkness mentioned in one of Albie's earlier threads that he fitted some S4 termi's to a '93 M900 so I would have thought they would go on a 2000 M900 too?!

Any advice/tips much appreciated

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn273/jamesfarrell6/?albumview=slideshow

JimmyF
15-05-2008, 12:06 PM
on closer inspection of the 's' link pipe there seems to be a very slight kink/bend on the curve nearest the silencer (if that makes sense, not good on exhaust terminology), so I will try and bend it back, somehow, and see if that makes any difference.

buying damaged exhausts dirt cheap can sometimes be a false economy i guess

Nonnie
15-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I'd drink some of that wine in the background and await a sensible reply!

Albie
15-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Is the link pipe in the header right in. You need to take some photos of the side so we can see the lengths differance and maybe a rear end.

JimmyF
15-05-2008, 04:50 PM
yep, the link pipes are right in the header on both sides and the silencer pushed right in.
I think my problem is with the rhs link pipe itself as I put it in the vice to puch the kink out and it fits better now (I can actually get the hanger on) but it's still way out. The lhs is absolutely fine:banghead:

I've taken some more photos;

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn273/jamesfarrell6/?albumview=grid&mediafilter=images

you can see on the rhs the link pipe is almost flush with the swingarm and there is a good gap between it and the hanger. Then on the rhs there is a good gap between the link pipe and the swingarm but its pushed hard against the hanger.

Looking at the bike with no exhausts on, the header pipe on the lhs seems closer to the center of the bike by about 2cm than on the rhs. Is this normal?

I've just taken it to a welder / professional 'fettler' and he suggested cutting the link pipe and manipulating it till it seems right then welding it back up. This sounds like it could end in tears but as long as it clears the hanger and doesn't look like a complete bodge job I'll be happy