PDA

View Full Version : Slack Chain...

mystic
13-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Stupid question really, but can anyone tell me how I adjust the tension of my chain on an S2r?:dunce:
Can't find the manual and it doesn't seem as obvious as the double swingarm version.
Cheers
C

sadbiker
13-05-2008, 09:07 PM
You need a tool, try to get hold of a 916 toolkit this has the tool as part of it(why Ducati didn't give one with the Monster). On the back of your swing arm are 2 bolts, these need to be loosened which releases the clamp,with the tool which is like a oversized C-Spanner (i think they were called). If you look where the chain is you may see the splines you need to move which the tool locates in. Its a simple case of moving these with the bolts loose. You will see your wheel move either fowards or backwards.

barbican
13-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Slacken the two bolts at the back of the swingarm, and then tighten the chain by turning the large "nut" between the sprocket and swingarm using a C spanner.

From the Manual:

Adjusting chain tension
Move the motorcycle slowly until finding the position at which the chain
is tightest. Place the motorcycle on the side stand. Push the chain upwards with one finger at swingarm mid-length (see label).
The lower length of the chain should have about 30-32 mm slack.
If not so, rectify as follows:
Loosen the two screws (1) securing the rear wheel hub to the swingarm.
Apply the pin wrench (2) part no. 88713.1038 so that it engages a
sector of the eccentric hub. Rotate the eccentric hub until
achieving correct chain tension. Rotate counter clockwise to tension
up the chain; rotate clockwise to slacken (when viewed from chain
side)

mystic
13-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the rapid replies. Will have a good look in the daylight and track down suitable tools. You'd think when you spend so much money on a new bike they might give you a free spanner to adjust your chain eh?

Cheers
C

singletrack
14-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the rapid replies. Will have a good look in the daylight and track down suitable tools. You'd think when you spend so much money on a new bike they might give you a free spanner to adjust your chain eh?

Cheers
C

I just pop into the loacl Ducati dealer and flutter my eyelids. They adjust the chain for me :D

Headhunter
14-05-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.ducatisuite.com/chain.html

Step by step instructions with pics.

Half Man Half Mole
14-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I just pop into the loacl Ducati dealer and flutter my eyelids. They adjust the chain for me :D

That has never worked for me :o .

Mike