PDA

View Full Version : Moto Gp - Donnington

halina_r
12-05-2008, 03:35 PM
is anyone going to this? I am thinking of going for weekend and camping? anyone been before?

My bike test is the on the friday (!) but will prob hop on the back of my friends bike to go down to donnington - either to celebrate or commiserate!!!!! :D

Pedro
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
No, Donnington is a complete flea pit if you ask me, nastiest circuit I've ever had the miss fortune to attend. Toilets are revolting at best and the dog burgers are just plain nasty...

Watch it on the telly, you'll see more and probably not catch food poisoning or get trenchfoot - it rained rather a lot last time I went

LouSCannon
12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Doing a Police Bike Safe day on the 22nd, silly day to run it I know! Was thinking about nipping up on the Saturday if UKMOC people were going for the weekend, but otherwise not.

CK & AK
12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
No, Donnington is a complete flea pit if you ask me, nastiest circuit I've ever had the miss fortune to attend. Toilets are revolting at best and the dog burgers are just plain nasty...

Watch it on the telly, you'll see more and probably not catch food poisoning or get trenchfoot - it rained rather a lot last time I went

so you didnt really enjoy it then Ped?

C :)

halina_r
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

eek...anyone else have a bad time there??

sadbiker
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
It has had a lot of bad press over the years, mainly along the lines of overpriced, poor facilitys, the couple of people I know who camped there refuse to go again. The organisers make promises to improve but it's still not there.

halina_r
12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
It has had a lot of bad press over the years, mainly along the lines of overpriced, poor facilitys, the couple of people I know who camped there refuse to go again. The organisers make promises to improve but it's still not there.

yep - works out nearly £100 each with camping which is pretty pricing for roughing it!!!! might reconsider and spend my money elsewhere....mmm

sadbiker
12-05-2008, 05:56 PM
yep - works out nearly £100 each with camping which is pretty pricing for roughing it!!!! might reconsider and spend my money elsewhere....mmm

Brands seems to get better comments.

Or better still any bike racing at Silverstone this year, thats just a stone's throw for you so nice and easy as a day out.

gary tompkins
12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
We did the WSB weekend at Brands last summer and had a ball :mand:

Scotty
12-05-2008, 06:59 PM
in rip off Britten WSB at Donnington has to be near the top of the list

bertieflea
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Trying to get in and out of the circuit is a nightmare. Wasn't to bad when I used to go and watch the 500's but that was 25,000 people on race day! It will be more like 90,000 this year, which may not effect you if your going to camp, but worth considering.

If you have never been to a GP then I would say go! it gives you a insight into the madness that you see on telly if nothing else.

The lady's loo's must be in a better state than the men's :woot: but then the Q's will be longer :thumbsdown:

neilbaldry
12-05-2008, 07:58 PM
mybrother and his mates went last year, and camped for the weekend. and it pished it down all the way there, all weekend and all the way back. but i think they (and me) will be going again this year!

damon
12-05-2008, 08:07 PM
we'll probably pop over as its only about 3 miles from our front doors, dosnt do much for you and camping i know but it might make it at least 3 more monsters on the day :)

MrsJel
12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
We'll be there over the weekend - but we don't have to camp cos we're only 7 miles away from the circuit. Dono always gets bad press about access in and out because most times they've tried to run the market on Sunday and the airport won't let them change the roads around. But so far, have not had any troubles getting out - whereas getting out of Brands - don't get me started on that.

Camping has been cr@p really from reports - not enough loos/showers not clean - yes they should get their act together, they are promising better - but surely those who smear sh1t over walls should be made to clean the f***ing lot.

Quick note - if Mand says she's going, take a big brolly!

Carole

MrsJel
12-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Thinking about it - just seen a post about Assen - maybe Dono should do the same as them and dig a dyke round the circuit so the blokes can go pee there, but we brits are such tight-asses that that would not be acceptable. Plus to get out of Assen will take you hours.

Maybe I'm not selling Assen very well either - but its a cracking weekend if you get the chance. And back to Donington - don't forget that all of the race meetings have the same caterers - so all the same dog burgers I'm afraid.

Think I've finished ranting now - back to the pinot noir to calm down.

Mand
13-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Quick note - if Mand says she's going, take a big brolly!

Carole

Oh ha ha! Tis true though!

I go every year because I am a sucker for punishment and I spend the time with my mad dad and his mates. I don't do the camping thing as I only live about 20 miles away from the circuit.

This year I predict sunshine.

Duncan
13-05-2008, 06:27 PM
It is a rip off and the circuit owners reckon the high prices will fund spectator improvements. They have been saying that for 3 years since they bought the place and so far nowts happened.

I dont think its acceptable to fund basic amenities for next year by offering this years spectators nowt. The toilets are filthy, long queues and no paper and in my view a health risk.
In field access is via tunnels and a bridge and these are dangerously crowded at turning out time. The cars parrked on the infield are allowed to mix with foot spectators in the tunnel and sooner or later there will be an accident. The PA is a waste of time, theres too few big screens.........need I go on. Its not a lot dearer to go Ryanair to Brno and watch there, or Lemans on a road trip etc. Certainly you will be better looked after and not screwed financially.

giler
14-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I have to agree with all the negative comments - never had a good experience there.
That's why Shandy, Steve o'M900, myself and about 15 other guys are
off to Le Mans Moto GP tomorrow:yoparty:

NattyBoy
14-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Save your money and do a euro trip mate. I've got some great memories from watching GPs there in the late '80's early '90's but I stopped going about 3 years ago as its shocking.

European racing is a different class - the whole thing - viewing, how they treat the spectators, atmosphere and cost.

My favourite was probably Monza WSB. £20 to get in...£3 for a huge ciabatta loaf with fresh rocket and parma ham (yum yum !)...£1 for a beer ! Book your flights early and get a nice cheap hotel in Milan and the whole trip shouldnt be too expensive at all !

By the way - the worst is Le mans. Rubbish place. Absolutely terrible. Hate it :chuckle: :rolleyes:

fatbloke
14-05-2008, 11:38 AM
try Mugello its fantastic

Dave G
14-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I wont contradict any of the negative stuff here as I've seen it with my own eyes, however, Donington is a great place to watch racing, if you ignore all the other crap (which is a lot to ask at these prices) then its very entertaining.
The GP will suffer greatly if its moved to Silverstone as rumoured,sure the pits and spectator facilities will be better but its crap to watch anything at.

I'd also say, dont park infield no matter how convenient you think it is, better to walk a bit to the car park then a lot of the delays wont affect you.
I used to live locally,my mate keeps my track bike at his house in Donington village and we always walk up to the circuit, since I moved north I sometimes fly down where its also feasible to walk to and from the airport.

Take a packed lunch, if you got there to dine then I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you and just remember the point is to see the racing which seldom fails to excite.

Mand
14-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Take a packed lunch, if you got there to dine then I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you and just remember the point is to see the racing which seldom fails to excite.

I couldn't agree with you more Dave, however, in past rainy years, I have learnt to be able to get my waterproofs in about 10 seconds flat. :chuckle: It is indeed fine art!

Mr Cake
17-05-2008, 12:56 PM

It's not the venue, its the racing that is crap :rolleyes: The actual ribbon of tarmac that is the Donington circuit is quite beautiful.

bod
17-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Went 2 years ago on the bike (only ever watched touring cars there before)
Brilliant sunshine ,food ok,met the Russian twins that used to be a pop band:mad: ,laid on the grass in front of the big screen and drank beer,excelent day.
Note -if going by car/coach expect to be in a LONG line of traffic along with people trying to catch planes etc,bikes have there own lane and when parking park in the field furtherst away from the entrance a 20 mins walk in is always better than a 2 hr exit in the hot weather with leathers on!

desmo
17-05-2008, 04:30 PM
A truly awful place which despite promises every year that things will improve they never do, I gave up going 5 years ago, it would cost me about £200 for me & Roz to go for the day, thats a lot of dosh for a day out & will buy a lot of fuel for other more enjoyable days out.
I will set the vcr & watch it later on will a few beers in comfort.

Mand
17-05-2008, 10:03 PM
the racing that is crap :rolleyes:

Hmm I will remember that tomorrow evening when the highlights are on.....

:heart:

neilbaldry
09-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm not going to Donny now, will put up with Snett BSB. Am contemplating maybe doing a European race next year, most likely either Monza or Mugello.

faulkss
16-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Despite all this, I am still dumb enough to be going. But I am only going up for race day.
I will be leaving London at some ungodly time in the morning if anyone from the South East is heading up there at the same time.

Would be cool to meet anyone who is going up there for the day.

Steve

Plum
16-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Halina

My mate has gone for the last 2 years and will never go again. The first year, he just put down as a bad one, but last year just sucked and he wont go again.

Myself and him are going to Assen, so if you fancy that i could give you the details af the campsite we are staying on etc as we have it all sorted.

faulkss
25-06-2008, 10:16 PM
They are not the best as i was behind a wire fence... But it was an AWESOME day!!!

Donington UK MotoGP - 2008

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/01.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/02.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/03.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/04.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/05.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/06.jpg

http://fnfphotos.com/personal/posts/20080625/07.jpg

Go Stoner (from a fellow Aussie!)