PDA

View Full Version : Rear tyre - should I be worried?

LVC
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I've a Pirreli Diablos fitted to my S4. Yesterday I noted the rear had a number of horizontal "cuts" in it - none of them are deep or long and they only exist on one part of the tyre. Any idea what they are or why they're there and should I be worried and ordering a new rear tyre :confused: And yes before it's pointed out I know the side of the tyre are not very worn - not my riding style I'm afraid :cool: I've had the bike over two years and the tyres were on it when I got it - the bike only has 10k miles on the clock but I'm adding them on this year. Thanks in advance.....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/LVC1/Monster%20Forum/PirreliDiablo1.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38/LVC1/Monster%20Forum/PirreliDiablo2.jpg

Pedro
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I've seen Diablos do that before, particularly when getting low / squared off

Try Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs - better than Diablos

Julie
12-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I had this happen to me and i changed them straight away. It may not need it but you don't want to be distracted when riding.

mrtony
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Mine looked like that, 80 miles later it looked like this!!
Had a tank slapper on the M5 at about 80, not sure if it was the tyre breaking up that caused it, but you can see the blue where it has overheated.

LVC
12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Time to change the tyre I guess - it's due in for a service in a couple of weeks anyway.

Try Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs - better than Diablos

What do people think, go with Pedro's advice or is there another option worth thinking about (of course not that I would ever doubt Pedro :hail: )??

And do I have to change both front and rear or can I keep the Diablo on the Front ?

Scotty
12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
ahh the tell tail you have 0.5mm of tread left before the canvas

today I'm rating diablo strada touring tyres I think

depends what the front like to be honest if your going to ride hard id get a matching new set but if your only pottering about touring just get the rear , your call

Headhunter
12-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I had exactly the same happen to mine at the last b/h weekend when I was back in Oxford. Nightmare time to get tyres!

Rode 75 miles back to London (carefully of course) - would get them changed at the 1st op to do so though.

Capo
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
The 2CT's are the best, and you won't be supporting the Pirelli monopoly.

Redkite2
12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
The Diablo's don't seem to last long.
I had Pilot Powers for 8000 K's and although they had some life left, I went for the Pilot Power 2CT at my 20 K service about a month ago.
They are excellent clearly superior to the standard ones. Can't say anything about longevity yet though. Stu

Albie
12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I had the same on mine just a few weeks ago but also I had a gash which was strange. I have gone and got corsa III which are harder in the middle. You can see a different colour rubber if you look close when new. Cost me £130 fitted.

Headhunter
12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I have gone and got corsa III which are harder in the middle. You can see a different colour rubber if you look close when new. Cost me £130 fitted.

For two new Diablo tyres (decided to change the front one as well, as I've got another 12k out of them) it cost me £247!!! Me thinks a bit of B/H premium was paid. Got a quote two days later for £198 fitted.

Does anyone know if they do Corsa III's for the 620?

Albie
12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Mines a 180 wide and got done at Watling tyres. Theres one at Catford as TRENT recommended it to me to get my old s4 rear tyre off.

CK & AK
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
For two new Diablo tyres (decided to change the front one as well, as I've got another 12k out of them) it cost me £247!!! Me thinks a bit of B/H premium was paid. Got a quote two days later for £198 fitted.

Does anyone know if they do Corsa III's for the 620?

Sheesh! we were paying £150 last October for the same Diablos for the 620! :eek: - unless yours are not the bog std ones - maybe SC3's or similar?
Even so, we are paying £190 a set for the SC1's & SC3's at present.

Cant go wrong with the Diablos as proven on road & track - or worth trying the Bridgestones, same as are fitted to my 696 - stick like glue they do :)

C

Headhunter
12-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Nope just the bog standard ones. It was a bank holiday Monday and needed them badly, so I think they (Chasbikes) added a £50 premium for B/H service.

I usually get them done at Chasbikes or Rosso Corse for c.£210 all in.

Does seem strange that quite a lot of us are experiencing this with Diablo tyres recently.

Chris & Nean
13-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I had BT 14’s before and they were fine, got Conti Sport Attack’s now and these seem okydoke too, they don’t seem to be wearing down at all though, very strange? Bridgestone do a replacement for the 14 now its called 16, its multy compound, the reviews for it are very positive.

Dave in USA
13-05-2008, 06:16 AM
I ran 010 front & 020 on the back of my Monster, 020's were a little harder in the center, better wear.

BUT...that said, its 5 years since I moved to the USA...and I am sure there's newer tires available!

LVC
13-05-2008, 10:13 AM
New Pirelli Diablos ordered this morning - £185(ish) including delivery this week and the mand at the garage will fit them for about £10 when he does the service :thumbsup: I ordered both front and rear in the end - piece of mind.

The prices I was being quoted for the Michelins made them too expensive for me at the moment (I've just agreed to buy a Z750 :twak:).

Thanks for all the advice - most appreciated.

sadbiker
13-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Just had a 160/60/17 Diablo fitted to Cor's 620, it had 4 edges. Cost £105 fitted and balanced to loose wheel.

I have had that on previous Diablos myself on my CB900, always changed them as soon as I spotted the rubber shredding as this will be the final layer before hitting the carcus of the tyre. have now used Diablos since 2002 and still fairly happy with them. The rear wore better than the BT16 which was fitted as OEM on my 2nd S2R1000, the BT16's were good but squared of way to quick.

Cor now takes the micky out of me reckoning that since my accidents when she is following my she has to slow down going into bends.........."git"