PDA

View Full Version : S2R 1000 suspension set up help please

Gilps
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm wanting to adjust the front suspension on my S2R. I've got the forks from a S2r 1000 fitted but as they were not standard on my bike, I don't have the manual for the set up.
Does anyone know what the base settings are, no. of clicks etc. Which adjusters do what? I'm assuming it's preload and rebound on the top. Is the compression through the bottom of the forks, up through the spindle?
Cheers

sadbiker
06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm wanting to adjust the front suspension on my S2R. I've got the forks from a S2r 1000 fitted but as they were not standard on my bike, I don't have the manual for the set up.
Does anyone know what the base settings are, no. of clicks etc. Which adjusters do what? I'm assuming it's preload and rebound on the top. Is the compression through the bottom of the forks, up through the spindle?
Cheers

I hope they wearnt the forks of my last bike. They didn't come with a one careful owner badge ?

Gilps
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
I hope they wearnt the forks of my last bike. They didn't come with a one careful owner badge ?

I hope not too. I picked them up off ebay, brand new, some guy with an 800 like mine wanted to improve the front end, just like I did. Then he sold the bike and didn't get round to fitting them. I paid an extortionate £115 for them, brand new, in the boxes, never fitted, unmarked, shiny, sparkly, lovely. I just need to get them set up now, they are too stiff on the compression and rebound way too fast.

sadbiker
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Will look up the standard setting when I get home for you if needs be.

There were some pdf manuals of the workshop manuals floating around the internet if you are able to find one,

Half Man Half Mole
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
S2R 1000 standard front fork settings are:

compression - 6 clicks
rebound - 6 clicks
spring preload - 18mm

Adjustment ranges:

compression - 16 clicks
rebound - 14 clicks
spring preload - 10 to 25mm

That will be £500 please:chuckle:

Mike

PS Oh, and the book says it is important to adjust both fork legs to the same setting :banghead:

Gilps
06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
S2R 1000 standard front fork settings are:

compression - 6 clicks
rebound - 6 clicks
spring preload - 18mm

Adjustment ranges:

compression - 16 clicks
rebound - 14 clicks
spring preload - 10 to 25mm

That will be £500 please:chuckle:

Mike

PS Oh, and the book says it is important to adjust both fork legs to the same setting :banghead:

That's a big help, thanks Mike. Do you know which twiddly bit does what? That's not much of a range on the preload - I presume that's static sag. I would run 25mm on a race bike, God knows why you would want less than that on the road.

Gilps
06-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Will look up the standard setting when I get home for you if needs be.

There were some pdf manuals of the workshop manuals floating around the internet if you are able to find one,

I tried to download PDF's but with no luck. Stafford posted up a link recently but it doesn't work for me. I guess I only need the handbook rather than a workshop manual - I've got one of those for the 800 already too.

Stafford
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Do you still want a copy of the manual Gilps?
I think I closed the link down on the server at work.

Gilps
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I either need a copy of the page/s from the handbook which cover adjusting the forks, or someone to outline on here which bit does what. There are two adjusters on top which I'm guessing are preload and rebound, and I'm guessing the compression damping is up through the bottom of the fork leg. As I still have the original spindle fitted which does not have a hole for adjustment then I can't check, and was hoping to avoid pulling the wheel out to check.

Half Man Half Mole
06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
If you get really stuck then PM me Gilps and I'll send you my mobile number. I can then try and describe the handbook pictures (there are two) over the phone to you.

Mike

Stafford
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
S2R 1000 2006 Manual I hope

http://ia341242.us.archive.org/0/items/DucatiMonsterS2r10002006/Workshop_Manual_Monster_S2R_1000_2006_.pdf

The one from work is still up, also has an M900

https://mail.theraileng.co.uk/ducati/

Gilps
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
S2R 1000 2006 Manual I hope

http://ia341242.us.archive.org/0/items/DucatiMonsterS2r10002006/Workshop_Manual_Monster_S2R_1000_2006_.pdf

The one from work is still up, also has an M900

https://mail.theraileng.co.uk/ducati/

nope still no joy. The first one starts to download then stalls after about 175 downloaded - it's been like it all day. Second link generates an error page with a problem with certificates.

slob
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
You are correct:
preload= big nut on top (thats you that is, Paul)
rebound= little screw on in centre of preload adjuster
compression= screw in bottom of leg

Preload (18mm) is the amount of spacer showing above the adjuster nut...
go with whatever gives you correct static sag... 25mm is about right as you say.
Compression and rebound should be clicks out, from fully wound in.

HTIOH

Stafford
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
nope still no joy. The first one starts to download then stalls after about 175 downloaded - it's been like it all day. Second link generates an error page with a problem with certificates.

just accept the certificates then

Gilps
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
just accept the certificates then

I don't get the option. Thanks though.:thumbsup:

Gilps
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
You are correct:
preload= big nut on top (thats you that is, Paul)
rebound= little screw on in centre of preload adjuster
compression= screw in bottom of leg

Preload (18mm) is the amount of spacer showing above the adjuster nut...
go with whatever gives you correct static sag... 25mm is about right as you say.
Compression and rebound should be clicks out, from fully wound in.

HTIOH

That's just what I needed, thanks.

Gilps
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I got everything I need now - thanks to Mike, Stafford and Slob.

slob
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
.... and Slob.

with a small 's'!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11485&d=1210099643

BTW. fully wound in on preload and rebound will be the hardest/most damping

and

a wise man once told me "always adjust rebound/compression two clicks at a time.. unless your name is V.Rossi you won't feel a difference with one click."

Gilps
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
with a small 's'!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11485&d=1210099643

BTW. fully wound in on preload and rebound will be the hardest/most damping

thanks Slob. the "A" In Your Diagram, Is That The Measurement For The Preload, To The Top Of The Nut? i'll Just Work On An Actual Reading Rather Than What Is Shown At The Top Of The Forks, Just Interested Like.
cheers
gilps

slob
06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
thanks Slob. the "A" In Your Diagram, Is That The Measurement For The Preload, To The Top Of The Nut? i'll Just Work On An Actual Reading Rather Than What Is Shown At The Top Of The Forks, Just Interested Like.
cheers
gilps

that's the one, at least it gives you a close-ish starting point for proper measurements, who knows? it may even be correct if you're a 70kg Italian.

(still persisting with the capital 's' I see pAUL)

Gilps
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
that's the one, at least it gives you a close-ish starting point for proper measurements, who knows? it may even be correct if you're a 70kg Italian.

(still persisting with the capital 's' I see pAUL)

Cheers rob. I'm deffo struggling with this whole caps thing but I think I cracked it now.

slob
06-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Cheers rob. I'm deffo struggling with this whole caps thing but I think I cracked it now.

last time I saw you struggling with caps it was a much sought after, limited edition, black Xerox cap.

willber
27-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Just checked my suspension after reading this thread and have adjusted the preload to give me 30mm sag, was more like 35mm before. Also i made sure rebound was set halfway and also compression - the compression was fully wound in/out (not sure) but either way it was on maximum or minimum setting so I set that to halfway too as a base point, should be interesting to ride it after this when I get chance. Need to get a c spanner and friend to help me check the sag at the back.

willber
20-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Can anyone tell me where the 18mm preload measurement for the front S2R 1000 fork is taken? Is it from the top of the big nut which is fixed on the fork leg to the top of the adjuster nut which moves in and out of the fork, the one with the lines underneath as it comes out of the fork leg?

slob
20-04-2016, 11:18 AM
A in the diagram

http://www.thelasturl.net/img/frontpreload.jpg

you can download the owners manual, if you didn't get one with the bike, from http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

willber
20-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Brilliant, thanks for that. That's where I had measured it from as it seemed logical. Turns out I had preload on the forks to high then - have tweaked it back so should notice a difference when I ride it later. It has already made a massive difference cranking the rear up so the sag was correct and adjusting the rebound and compression back to stock settings :cool:

slob
20-04-2016, 11:30 AM
It's just a starting point, setting the sag correctly is the right way to go

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=525953&postcount=10

is what Ohlins say, the adjusters on your shock will be a little different (shown in the S2R owners manual though)

willber
20-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Yeah I will double check the fork sag as there is some stiction when I tried to set it before so consistent readings were difficult. I have set the preload to 16mm rather than 18mm. It was wound almost right in before but I am only 85kg. Will report back, thanks for the help.

slob
20-04-2016, 01:24 PM
don't forget a 10 year old bike will benefit from a fork oil change