PDA

View Full Version : strange clutch noise, should i be worried?

mikej
05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I picked up my new S4R on Saturday but have noticed a strange noise/feeling coming from the clutch when pulling away in first. Right at the end of the clutch bite as i am letting it out it makes a "grunch" noise and i feel some extra vibration through the lever. Only seems to happen at the start of rides and when taking off with above 4000rpm if that makes any difference.

I have also noticed some strange vibrations when braking (front only), it only happens on light braking at low speed using the front only. It is a real high frequency juddering but only seems to happen sometimes so don't think the discs are warped.

Not overly worried as if anything major is wrong it is under warranty but just wondered if these are "normal" monster quirks.

Its an 03 but only has 1500 miles on it.

Many Thanks,

Mike.

Pedro
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
The graunching is probably a bit of glaze on the plates - whip them out and deglaz them with some scotchbrite

Albie
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I get that occassionly mind you I think I need new plates.

gary tompkins
05-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Could also be dust build up - although mileage is a bit low TBH?

Try taking cover off to give it a quick clean, also a vented clutch cover helps prevent the buld up of crap & dust in the long run.

Rockhopper
06-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Does it come with a slipper clutch as standard like some of the other Monsters have?

mikej
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Don't think it has a slipper clutch as the back end still gets a bit lively if you down shift "at speed".

Has anyone had a similar brake problem? Thought it may have been something the garage used to clean it that was making the pads slip as it seems to be happening less and less and never when braking hard.

Duncan
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Its just clutch dust, whip the plates out, clean them up with brake cleaner and put them back how they came out.

banditloon
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Buy a box of washers from Robert Dyas for about £1, use 3 washers on each allen bolt for the clutch cover (3 or 4 I think) and there you have a DIY vented clutch cover :D

BluprintZ
13-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Just read that an extra clutch plate can be added to quiet things down a bit, anybody done this mod?, does it really work?
As this is me first Monster and the clutch rattles like Kate moss in a biscuit tin, i thought it best to check the info before i start spannering the noisy begger!
The bike has 10,240 miles on da clock.

Rockhopper
14-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Well it'll certainly make the lever heavier and maybe make the clutch drag but its worth trying if you have some spare driven plates around.

BluprintZ
14-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Well it'll certainly make the lever heavier and maybe make the clutch drag but its worth trying if you have some spare driven plates around.

Cheers Rockhopper, i don't have any spare plates, although it doesn't rattle with the clutch lever in, just when it's in neutral with the lever out, a bit embarrassing at times but i can live with it.

Rockhopper
15-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Well they all rattle more with the clutch out (to a greater or lesser extent!). The extra plate idea is really to help a clutch thats on its last legs, its just gives a but more pressure to the stack and hopefully prevents it slipping as much.

BluprintZ
15-05-2008, 11:12 PM
The extra plate idea is really to help a clutch thats on its last legs.

Cheers Rockhopper.
A mate has a 750 Sport, he called in today and his clutch was also quite noisy.
He said the same as you, they all pretty much rattle to some extent.
Thanks for the help.