PDA

View Full Version : UKMOC Charity

Pedro
30-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi all

as you probably know we did a Dyno Day recently in aid of the Air Ambulance Service and it's got me thinking that maybe this could be our nominated charity. I know at least one UKMOCer has had the use of this service (lord only knows how they got his oversize head in though, must have drafted in a chinook...) and I for one hope that no one else ever does. But, given the slightly perilous nature of our chosen hobby, I think its a very worthy cause

Everybody ok with this?

I was thinking that when he have bigger get togethers, we can have a whip round etc or even sort out some suitable days activities etc. Any suggestions welcome

Ped

Rogerg
30-04-2008, 08:57 PM
gets my vote

SazzaG
30-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Absolutely Ped.

As you know, I'm having some badges made for the weekender, and all profits made from selling them will be going to the Air Ambulance.

Great idea.

CK & AK
30-04-2008, 08:58 PM
gets my vote

+2

Both :)

Pedro
30-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks chaps!

I'll see about getting some UKMOC stickers and things made up as well, same principle etc

Ped

Mand
30-04-2008, 09:01 PM
You have my support. :)

benson
30-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Really good idea Ped - hurrah for that brain cell of yours!:cool:

Yorkie
30-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Air ambulance gets a big thumbs up here! But what region? Where the event is held?

Yorkie.

NattyBoy
30-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi all

as you probably know we did a Dyno Day recently in aid of the Air Ambulance Service and it's got me thinking that maybe this could be our nominated charity. I know at least one UKMOCer has had the use of this service (lord only knows how they got his oversize head in though, must have drafted in a chinook...) and I for one hope that no one else ever does. But, given the slightly perilous nature of our chosen hobby, I think its a very worthy cause

Everybody ok with this?

I was thinking that when he have bigger get togethers, we can have a whip round etc or even sort out some suitable days activities etc. Any suggestions welcome

Ped

Very witty you tosspot !! As my mate who was following on his R1 said "next time you want a ride in a helicopter - i'll give you the £50" - lol

Yep - gets my vote for obvious reasons

Nat

gary tompkins
30-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Top idea Pedro

Pedro
30-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Air ambulance gets a big thumbs up here! But what region? Where the event is held?

Yorkie.

I hadn't given that any thought yet. I'd be more than happy for local support or to their central organisation, what ever suits

squiffything
01-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Another vote from me.

YoungDucS4R
01-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Certainly gets my vote!
Unfortunately I have first-hand experience of helping two mates of mine into the air-ambulance after a Sunday afternoon jaunt in the countryside turned into an International Rescue-style ordeal.
Hopefully never to be repeated, but definately a more than worthy cause.

Yorkie
01-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Having had a quick dig around it seams that there is no centralised fund for the Air Ambulance, so i would suggest supporting the Local Air Ambulance where ever the event is being held!

But Ped it is a bloody good idea, and i think we should do as much as we can, a couple of pounds here and there does make a difference!

Yorkie.

giler
01-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Good idea, they are the difference between life and death.

scrapps
01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi lastyear and the year before I ran a charity bowling night for the air ambulance, both times run thru bike clubs inviting riders and family etc.
Both were great fun with two games of bowling a raffle and prizes for high scores and low score.
I work in bowling so can get a good price for the games and lots of support from the bowling ind (prizes for raffle etc).
both raised good money and I hope some of the kent and essex people from the ukmoc who came will agree.
also worth talking to the people at the air ambulance as always looking for support and will help you in anyway they can ie sent collection pots and things..:thumbsup:

Lowsider
01-05-2008, 09:40 AM
My vote deffinately

SazzaG
01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
A lot of them seem to have good website, along the lines of sussexairambulance.co.uk, etc.

The Sussex/Surrey one is holding an open day at Dunsfold Park (home of the Sussex/Surrey air ambulance, and Top Gear!) on Sunday 1st June. Unfortunately, I can't make it, but I'll post in the regional sections to encourage people to go along.

nambduke
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
......is a northern event in support of the air ambulance. Involves being sponsored for riding 500miles in a day on your bike....gel seats recommended....which got me thinking and I came across this...

Having checked the site, there is a boundary marathon being arranged for 2008....so how about the UKMOC having a look at how we could contribute to that event....UKMOC members from all regions combine to do a part of the 2800mile marathon?? Hand over a token/baton region to region??

Any thoughts??

We have between 1st January 2008 and 31st December 2008 to complete the marathon within a 10 day window so a bit of arranging, we should be able to arrange and organise it between ourselves? Details on http://www.boundary500.co.uk/marathon.html

The target venues are:

Start & Finish Location is the entrance to Durham Tees Valley Air Airport.

In order.

Durham Tees Valley Airport Entrance. NAMBDUKE
Amble. NAMBDUKE HAND OVER TO SCOTTY?????
Berwick-upon-Tweed.
Aberdeen.
John O’Groats.
Rhiconich. (Located on A838/B801
Ullapool
Morvich
South Ledaig. (On A828)
Stranraer.
Cockermouth.
Ravenglass.
Newby Bridge.
Caernarfon.
Fishguard.
Minehead.
Barnstaple.
Kilkhampton. (A39/B3254)
Lands End.
Plymouth.
Bournemouth.
Sammy Miller Motor Museum. New Milton, Hampshire.
Southampton.
Brighton.
Hastings.
Dover.
Ramsgate.
Ipswich.
Great Yarmouth.
Skegness.
Hull. BRD??/YORKIE??/NAMBDUKE
Bridlington. BRD??/YORKIE??/NAMBDUKE
Scarborough. BRD??/YORKIE??/NAMBDUKE
Whitby. BRD??/YORKIE??/NAMBDUKE
Durham Tees Valley Airport Entrance. BRD??/YORKIE??/NAMBDUKE/PLUS OTHERS??
Looking at just under 2800 miles.

Conditions of entry.

Entrance fee of £20. (Towards special award at The Presentation Evening.
Collect a minimum of £250 sponsorship money for the Great North Air Ambulance.
Visit all the listed points in the order listed, in no more than ten days. .
I don't have the date at hand, but maybe one for the diaries if anyone is interested?

I think your idea is sound so, you certainly have my support for nominating the Air Ambulance Service as our official charity....What do you all think about this idea??

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

scrumpster
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Gets my vote, the whole idea that is!

squiffything
01-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Hmmm Ipswich to Gt Yarmouth stretch could be done by myself and a few of the S.East Anglian lads and lasses. I take it it can be done as a bit of a rideout by a few at a time. A meet up with Norfolk's Nonnie brigade in Gt Yarmouth for Chish and Fips by the seaside is always a pleasent way to spend an afternoon. Pass on the batton and head on home with a warm feeling knowing that you've helped a good cause.

Hang on a mo when you said bike you did mean motorbikes didn't you, not pushbikes?

Nonnie
01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.copdock-cmc.co.uk/Bike%20Run080615%20Honington.htm

This would be a good start.

Loving the relay idea as well. Just don't expect me to represent the worst dressed place in the British Isles (Yarmouth)

benson
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh we so have to do it -

we could get the kenties to bring the baton or whatever it is to the Dartford bridge (that way I can go to Bluewater)

then we head off to Ipswich - via nice roads and possibly around the coast - (Mersea for seafood perhaps?) and Burnham etc and everyone goes to Yarmouth and around the north norfolk coast and on and up!!!

Great way to raise money - all joking apart - is this something we could plan over the interweb?
;)

nambduke
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
......but the baton starts with me as the start point MUST be as specified in the marathon rules - Durham/Tees Airport.....Now what can I use as a baton....and more importantly, where can I put it??:rolleyes:

I must contact the organiser to see if we can do it as a relay.....I can't see why not....

Regards,
Mark '

mad_turnips
01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
im in though why scumhampton? the main city in hampshire is portsmouth

and insted of a batton pos a rucksack that can be passed and sticker for each area stuck on it at each pass

nambduke
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
is this something we could plan over the interweb?
;)

I can't see why not? Some of us are upstanding adults who can agree dates and times....aren't we??? Might involve some overnight stops along the way??....maybe we need some staging posts along the way and put a few people up or suggest stop over places?? Don't know, but we must be able to sort something out.

Also thinking, if everyone who comes along and does their bit, there are 35 or so stages. If each person manages £250 sponsorship each, even if it's just the lead rider, that's approaching £9k (inc entry fees). If others join in, the number jumps significantly....

I'm sure it'll raise our profile in a positive light....

Regards,
Mark

nambduke
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
im in though why scumhampton? the main city in hampshire is portsmouth

and insted of a batton pos a rucksack that can be passed and sticker for each area stuck on it at each pass

The route is defined by the organisers......

If we use a rucksack, maybe everyone can put in their sponsorship money along the way and I'll drop it off......at the local Ducati dealer and order my new bike.....Kerching! Result......Rucksack sounds a good idea....any more ideas?

benson
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Absolutely - are you going to the weekender - perhaps we can have a splinter group to plan the baton wearing!!!:on: :ymca: :on:

Half Man Half Mole
01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh dear:chuckle:

Mike

benson
01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Great - I'll have to think of something suitable - :woot:

nambduke
01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
......There seems to be a number of Air Ambulance schemes once I started looking, and I don't know whether there's any link between them for a combined charity funding hence my suggestion for the Northern scheme marathon? Irrespective of which Air Ambulance we support this year, we can look at other schemes in coming years?

The idea that Pedro started with was our designated charity could be the Air Ambulance. I second that wholeheartedly. I would propose that for 2008 we adopt the Northern scheme give the route's set out, the terms of the marathon are defined and all we have to do is organise our time to do it. Any seconders?

Regards,
Mark

andros
02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Sounds like a good idea and a good way of bringing different regions together with a common aim. I would hope it can be done as a relay cos if not someones got a h*ll of alot of riding to do Mr Namduke.

I would happily do Hull to Brid or one of the others on the east coast:thumbsup:

Pedro
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
As far as the Marathon thing is concerned, can we start a dedicated thread please.

Ta

Ped

Stafford
02-05-2008, 03:31 PM
As far as the Marathon thing is concerned, can we start a dedicated thread please.

Ta

Ped

Well go on then!

nambduke
13-05-2008, 06:23 PM
.......Evening All,

The organiser of the event is over in Austria this week looking at an international version for next year! Now that would be another excellent idea.....

Anyway, he's back on the 18th and promised to get in contact with me to discuss if our 'relay' would be acceptable under the rules.....I'll update as soon as I any more information

Regards,
Mark Nambduke