PDA

View Full Version : Warped disc or bearings fecked?

Headhunter
29-04-2008, 07:02 PM
At the weekend when out with the girlfriend I noticed the front wheel on the right hand side was making quite a bit of noise and also sounded awful when breaking - we'd been out for a good 3-4 hours constant riding.

Anyway noise dissappeared for a day - has now come back and sounds like it's rubbing the brake pad every rotation at a certain point.

I can definitely feel it through the handlebars but not the brake lever, which I thought was weird. Maybe not.

I'm going back to the olds at the weekend, so will get it up on the ramp then but is there a sure fire way to distinguish between:

A. It's the discs -they're warped

B. It's the bearings - save myself quite a few zeros

The bike's done 24k - bearings look ok from the outside - plenty of grease and no signs of external damage (appreciate inside could be a completely different story).

Many thanks guys/gals.

Jon.

Pedro
29-04-2008, 08:25 PM
To check for warped discs, you need to lift the front wheel and spin it while holding a pointer near the disc - you'll see any run out.

It may be that the caliper is dragging a little, perhaps a good clean up is needed.

Didn't you have the wheel bearings done last year?

Headhunter
29-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Cheers Ped. I did - just before WDW as well.

I have a feeling it's the disc, as it's only at one point - wouldn't be the case with buggered bearings. Wishful thinking.

Pedro
29-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Disc mounting bolts done up properly?

It might also be the buttons that hold the outer disc on the centre - there is a small amount of float in these and they can get gummed up with road snot. A decent scrub and a squirt of brake cleaner might be worth a try

Albie
29-04-2008, 08:44 PM
A couple of years ago my righthand front caliper heated up rubbing the disc because the brake caliper needed a service clean. The pads werent going back freely. A good clean and grease shaft with cooperslip and all been fine since. Check them out for road cr4p

Headhunter
29-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Cheers Albie and Ped.

I'll give it a good clean over the weekend before taking more drastic action and will give it a proper check at the same time for any run out.

jerry
30-04-2008, 08:27 PM
take the disc off get a 19mm socket on the front of the buttons and bash the back rivet with a BIG hammer really hard.

Headhunter
01-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Did cross my mind. Do you reckon the same would work elsewhere.

As Albie and Ped said, am gonna get the good old wurth brake cleaner out from the back of the cupboard - been sitting there for too many months - and give them a good clean. If this fails - hammer it is or £280 including delivery from Morespeed racing - http://www.moorespeedracing.com

jerry
01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I just got a complete set off 2 Galfer Wavy Discs including Pads for £175 from www. Sports bike shop , very quick service and amazing price .