PDA

View Full Version : HELP..Sprocket Removal..it's FT!!

nambduke
27-04-2008, 09:02 PM
HELP...Just attempting to put the 14T front sprocket on this afternoon and I can't budge :scratch: the ruddy sprocket bolt. I know it's on FT, but I can't undo it. I changed the chain and sprockets not long ago and from memory, the thread was a standard thread (not LH) but very loose considering it needed to have 186+/-10%Nm of torque. Bike is a M1000ie with the single nut and lock washer arrangement.

I have a FB bar and I can't move it......anyone have any advice to offer....PS I did have my shredded wheat this morning!!

Regards,
Mark 'Floundering' Nambduke

Scotty
27-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Fire and lots of it

errm you could warm the nut up a bit maybe

i would have the chain back on to hold it still ( spoke swingarm and a bar through )

186 nm seems mental for the sprocket nut is it not just to prevent sideways play still or has that chanced ( I'm confused )

try a garage with a rattle gun ?

nambduke
27-04-2008, 09:39 PM
....even with a 4 foot long torque wrench set at over 300Nm it hasn't moved. It must tightens up in use?? Double shredded wheat tomorrow me thinks.....
OBTW - chain still on, in gear, Young Richard Nambduke sat on the bike and the back brake on...

I have a an air impact wrench but I don't know what torque setting that kicks out, but nothing seems to budge it. It's a standard thread isn't it? Spin off anticlockwise/tighten clockwise????

Regards,
Mark

Albie
27-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Have you tried impacting it with a hammer type tool. Scotty you normal come in with that. Have you been asleep mate.:chuckle:

Impact driver. I think GT had problems when he did his trike.I think he dremmeled them.

Pedro
27-04-2008, 10:05 PM
An impact wrench (smack it with a hammer type) is not a good idea as the shaft to which the sprocket is attached will transfer the impact straight back to the bearings holding the shaft in the gearbox casings - never a good thing.

Albie
27-04-2008, 10:21 PM
That is true. I retract that statement as not a good idea. Its a good job mine came undone easy wasn't it.:chuckle:

nambduke
28-04-2008, 05:19 PM
.....the sprocket nut at all. Fire next! Suggestions guys and gals! What will I bu99er up next??

Regards,
Mark 'Sweat dripping off my nose in frustration' Nambduke

Scotty
28-04-2008, 05:31 PM
as opposed to gently pile-ing on the pressure to undo the nut have you tried 'shocking' the nut with full on undoing force at once ? difficult with a long breaker bar :idea:

errm then try a garage with an air gun :on:

errm and then think about cutting it off i guess :worried:

bigredduke
28-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Are you not taking the bike into Ducati john's for a service soon? I'm sure he will oblige.

Nickj
28-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Sod it get the angle grinder out, the bolt will be too stressed and stretched to use again anyway.

nambduke
28-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you not taking the bike into Ducati john's for a service soon? I'm sure he will oblige.

Hi BRD

Service just done last week, and we even discussed the 14T sprocket as being a good mod for when I got home. John has said I can take it down to him if I get stuck. Think I'll be seeing him sooner rather than later this way!

I like the idea of just grinding the sodding thing off now! Knowing my luck, I'll end up f*****g the output shaft!

Regards,
Mark

PS How did the weekend go in Bristol?

bigredduke
28-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi BRD

Service just done last week, and we even discussed the 14T sprocket as being a good mod for when I got home. John has said I can take it down to him if I get stuck. Think I'll be seeing him sooner rather than later this way!

I like the idea of just grinding the sodding thing off now! Knowing my luck, I'll end up f*****g the output shaft!

Regards,
Mark

PS How did the weekend go in Bristol?

Bristol was brilliant! great ride in & some wonderful machinery on display. I'll show you the pics on Wednesday.

nambduke
29-04-2008, 10:59 AM
....well, I've tried my pneumatic impact wrench without success. Has anyone tried an electric impact wrench as this seems to be the way other threads on other sites have got round the problem? I think part of the problem is the problem with 'holding' in gear/locked back wheel, suspension compressing, chain stretching as I try to loosen the nut. It isn't as if I'm trying to simply put force against someting that's fixed....does this make sense?

If I try an electric impact wrench, that just may have the kick and speed compared with my pneumatic wrench to overcome the compression and slack in the parts I'm working against?? The shock or impact effect is radial so there shouldn't be any trouble with bearings etc. I understand what the previous replies mention, but it's not as if the force is acting directly axially....the forces are definitely radial.

A friend is lending me a micro butane torch so I can apply heat direct to the nut....I'll remember to keep rotating the sprocket to help keeping heat away from the chain....I don't want to overheat the grease in the rollers etc.

Any more advice from anyone? Failing all of this, I'll have a ride over to Ducati John next Saturday......

Regards,
Mark 'Failed again' Nambduke

bigredduke
29-04-2008, 12:12 PM
There's no reason why it should be, but have you checked it's not a LH thread?

nambduke
29-04-2008, 12:33 PM
There's no reason why it should be, but have you checked it's not a LH thread?

Paul,

I can just make out it's a standard thread, I can see the lead thread going onto the shaft......Seriously frustrated as when I changed the chain and sprockets, the front sprocket was very loose....just finger tight. Hence me using the FT figure 186Nm +/-10% in the manual.....I should have known!

Wednesday still on....I'll be with you around 8pm....

Regards,
Mark

gary tompkins
29-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Have you tried impacting it with a hammer type tool. Scotty you normal come in with that. Have you been asleep mate.:chuckle:

Impact driver. I think GT had problems when he did his trike.I think he dremmeled them.

Nah mate - mine was the actual sprocket itself on trike build

Rusted solid to the output shaft and had to cut it off in 4 pieces. Took 2 days hard graft with an angle grinder & dremel. I was not a very happy bunny at all :Furious:

nambduke
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
.......honest!!

All sorted. Just needed a bigger bar. Suspect it was just metal bound. No damage.

Now bring on the good weather.....yipee!!!!

Regards,
Mark 'A 14T sprocket is such an easy mod' Nambduke

sadbiker
02-05-2008, 11:57 AM
.......honest!!

All sorted. Just needed a bigger bar. Suspect it was just metal bound. No damage.

Now bring on the good weather.....yipee!!!!

Regards,
Mark 'A 14T sprocket is such an easy mod' Nambduke

Damm this was becoming a good saga....Better than Eastenders....