PDA

View Full Version : Oil change and state of filter.should i worry ?

stef
24-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I changed the oil today.
and took some time to look at the filter.
some bits of alloy in there, not big, not many. should i worry ?
bearing in mind the bike has only done 10k.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/stephane_david/bike/DSC_7307.jpg

crust
24-04-2008, 07:30 PM
are they ally or steel or shiny chrome?

if they are shiny, will a magnet pick them up?

:confused: crust

stef
24-04-2008, 07:41 PM
are they ally or steel or shiny chrome?

if they are shiny, will a magnet pick them up?

:confused: crust

they are ally, me thinks.

manwithredbike
24-04-2008, 07:48 PM
when you say you took some time to look, did you not look after previous oil changes? i mean - could they be there from before but just never noticed or cleaned out?

stef
24-04-2008, 07:59 PM
when you say you took some time to look, did you not look after previous oil changes? i mean - could they be there from before but just never noticed or cleaned out?

yes, it could well be the first time that this filter is cleaned out.
I've only had the bike 6 days..
could it be from new ?

manwithredbike
24-04-2008, 08:08 PM
could be there from new - you cant be sure. there shouldn't be any alloy bits in moving contact with other bits in the engine. normally all moving bits make contact via bearrings or bushes etc. check they're alloy

Rockhopper
24-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Chrome isn't magnetic which is why you get flakes of it on the mesh rather than stuck to the magnet on the end of the drain plug. Those bits look like aluminium. When was the oil last changed?
The only thing i can think of to produce that amount of stuff is the crank shaft gallery plug backing out but i don't think thats common on the two valve engines.

stef
24-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Chrome isn't magnetic which is why you get flakes of it on the mesh rather than stuck to the magnet on the end of the drain plug. Those bits look like aluminium. When was the oil last changed?
The only thing i can think of to produce that amount of stuff is the crank shaft gallery plug backing out but i don't think thats common on the two valve engines.

no idea about the last oil change.

bike was garaged for the last 2 years..and didnt seem to be ridden much prior to that. oil seemed fine though.
according to the service plan, that filter is cleaned at 1000km, then at 20kkm... which the bike hasnt reached yet.
is that crank shaft gallery thingy easy to check ?

Rockhopper
24-04-2008, 08:34 PM
No, i think its a barrels off job to check and split the cases job to fix i'm afraid. But like i said, its not common on the two valve engines so i'd investigate further before getting worried about it.

How old is the bike?

Duncan
24-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Shouldnt worry bout it. Mine had more than that at 6000 miles, its now done 52,000 miles with no ill effects. These engines are agricultural things with their origins in the late 1970's.

Thats what filters are for I just think this dirt gets built in the engine in blind drillings etc, theres a bit from gears bedding in etc. The strainer stops it going round an doing damage.

If you got oil pressure and it aint makin noises then dont fix what aint broken.

manwithredbike
24-04-2008, 11:37 PM
i'd agree with duncan.if it's running ok with no noises,don't worry about it. that's why there's filters fitted.

dunlop0_1
25-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I also agree. Clean it, put it back together and check it again in 3000 miles. Definitely don't worry about it.

Neil.

stef
25-04-2008, 06:39 AM
ok,
My original feeling too. (if there is a filter, it's to filter stuff !)
the engine is 10yrs old, but has only got 10k on it. a couple of oil changes maybe, but most likely not filter cleaning.
I had confirmation from this side of the channel that it's nothing unsual !
I'll check again in a couple of thousand miles.

Rockhopper
25-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Again - what year is the bike? The problem only affects pre 2001 models.

stef
25-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Again - what year is the bike? The problem only affects pre 2001 models.

10k on it.

Rockhopper
25-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Check it again in 500 miles.

Blah blah
25-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I had exactly the same problem this time last year.... do a search on 'swarf' and you'll find the thread.

It was suggested that it could be the galley crank plug wearing itself out on the crank, as this was apparently a problem on early bikes. As this needs a full engine rebuild to fix(!), I changed the oil, filter and sump plug filter (the thing you've got a picture of) ran it for a bit, then changed the oil again and nothing came out. I have run it for the last 12 months (dare I say it????) with no problems to date, or should I say no problems with the engine cos lots of other things have dropped off or stopped working :chuckle:

When talking to various dealers at the time, some said because of the low mileage of my bike approx 8500 when I bought it, it might be left over from when the cases were machined in the factory. They also said some of the early 1098s had problems with casting sand not being cleaned out of the heads causing a bit of an issue, but this might bit have been made up for my benefit.

So... I agree with Rockhopper, do the oil and filters then run it for a bit, and do the same again, should be ok cos that's what I'm doing !

jerry
26-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Check the galley plug by removing rear cylinder.