PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of plastic crap bits

NewMon
24-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't know what they are called or what they are for. I'm referring to the rubbish grey plastic nodules sticking out of the frame on my 2001 M600. Various pipes seem to go into/out of them. They are an eyesore and I want to remove or replace 'em. Can anyone help?

stef
24-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know what they are called or what they are for. I'm referring to the rubbish grey plastic nodules sticking out of the frame on my 2001 M600. Various pipes seem to go into/out of them. They are an eyesore and I want to remove or replace 'em. Can anyone help?

they are easy enough to get rid of.
you only need to reroute the pipes comming from the carbs and stick them somewhere quiet (those pipes are the breathers for the carbs, they need atmospheric pressure.)
i used to have mine routed into 35mm film cans, with small holes in them and placed under the tank. if you route them in the wind, you will have problems at high speed.

NewMon
24-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Ah ha! Excellent. An easy and cheap mod. And I have some film canisters somewhere as well. Thanks.

stef
24-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Ah ha! Excellent. An easy and cheap mod. And I have some film canisters somewhere as well. Thanks.

you can shorten the pipes if it makes it easier too..
the only thing to watch for is not to block them airtight, and not to expose them to turbulences.
the other pod has electrical connectors in it, that's also easy enough to hide.

NewMon
24-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Thanks again
Pete

Paranoid Dave
24-04-2008, 01:07 PM
so long as the ends are hidden it don't matter where you tuck the tubes, mine were cable tied to the frame under the tank for years.

stef
24-04-2008, 01:40 PM
so long as the ends are hidden it don't matter where you tuck the tubes, mine were cable tied to the frame under the tank for years.

i beg to differ.
i caused me loads of grief, because i pointed mine towards to front and side..
as soon as i was overtaking a lorry, the disturbances would shut the diaphram in the carbs..

Paranoid Dave
24-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I said well hidden, with the ends tucked neatly into a quiet corner tucked up with cocoa and a good book where they can't be disturbed.

giler
24-04-2008, 03:08 PM
i beg to differ.
i caused me loads of grief, because i pointed mine towards to front and side..
as soon as i was overtaking a lorry, the disturbances would shut the diaphram in the carbs..

So in theory as long as they are facing backwards?

NewMon
20-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I've just removed the pods successfully. For the carb breathers I did the thing with a film canister and a tie-wrap. On the other side was another pipe running from between the carbs. I'm not sure what this is but it appears to be a drain of some kind. I tie-wrapped it to the frame pointing down and backwards. All was ok to 100mph on the test run.