PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with my M600?

Sanddancer
19-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi and I’m sorry this is such a HUGE post,

Now, before I start, I know that I have a 600, pretty much the bottom of the Monster barrel and that it could be seen as a waste to throw money at a bike that I'm likely to outgrow and that it would probably make more sense, financially, to hang on and buy a bigger bike in a while that comes with half the things I want. That may be true, but I'm choosing not to go that route.
Firstly, it would mean making do with the 600 as it is until I have the money for a new bike and I'm in the middle of starting my own business so money is going to be tight for a while. And that means living with aspects of the bike I'm not quite happy with for an indefinite amount of time. Secondly, I have a soft spot for the old Monsters, I prefer the old 888 style frame and I'm not a fan of the radiators of the water cooled bikes. And thirdly, I believe I have the option of dropping a larger engine into this bike at a later date should (when ) I want more power. And then there is just money...I don't mind spending a couple of hundred here, a couple of hundred there as the months go by, building the bike I want. But I'm useless as putting that money away, waiting until the day I'd have enough to buy a new bike - lots of small cheap thrills rather than the one big pay-off

I have a few questions that cover a few areas of the bike that I would like to address and I was hoping I could get some advice or pointers from you wise folk.

Rear Shock:

I'm not just 6'5", I'm also around 19st. So, I'm guessing the stock suspension wasn't really designed with me in mind Because of my limited experience with bikes though, I really don't know much about how suspension feels when it's working well as opposed to when it's not. I figure though that adjustable suspension, setup for my size, weight
and riding style would probably be something I would notice for the better! But here I'm confused by my options. Again, I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible. I guess Ohlins or Penske new? What about improved adjustable shocks from the rest of the Ducati range, monsters and SBKs? Is there a list somewhere of all the parts that would fit onto an M600?

Forks:

The same goes for the front. What would fit and what could I scavenge on the cheap on Ebay? I was thinking of the GSX-R swap or what about from a 748 etc? What diameter are the triples on my bike?

Brakes:

Which follow on from the forks. I have the single disc setup on the front with the 65mm spaced calipers (which I found after getting a 40mm caliper on Ebay). I want to go to a 2 disc setup, but again am unsure exactly of my options. This is one of the reasons I liked the idea of the GSX-R shocks - GSX-R brakes. It would solve two problems in one. I also believe that the brakes from a 750/900/748/998 would also fit?

Engine:

And finally the engine. 600 is fine for the time being. But all the previous stuff, it would seem a shame to buy all that stuff and then move on to a new bike, so once I have the bike the way I want it, why not just drop in a new engine? Am I right in thinking that a 750 and 900 engine would fit? I'd much rather have my 600 sorted and keep an eye out for a 900 engine going on ebay, rebuild that while riding the 600 and then while the bike is stripped for the engine swap, get the frame powder coated at the same time and then have a totally sorted 900 rather than take on an unknown, pretty aged 900 and start all over again. Will the engine just drop in though? What else would be involved in the swap?

Phew, if anyone got to the end of that, thanks, any help would be hugely appreciated.

Tony

CK & AK
19-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Forks & Brakes: if you use the complete front end of the ST2/3 or 4 then it should bolt straight in, or from any of the late monsters. you wont need to modify them. Will save you a lot of heartache in sourcing lots of parts seperately.

Rear shock: Wilbers/ Ohlins/WP or just get yours overhauled & put a better spring in it.

Engine: a 900/750 would drop in.

However for the cost of this all, it would be worth selling it on & getting a 900 & uprrating the suspension etc on that instead.

For parts, try Jim at Bike Enders

Scotty
19-04-2008, 09:07 AM
umm it always seems sensible to upgrade like that but it just isn't , sell and buy the whole package as a m900

however in the little bits at a time why not buy an uprated shock / radial master cylinder etc then you can just swap em over come new bike time

umm also (not that I've ever had a problem or anything) think id like to avoid any unnecessary dealing with the DVLA and engine swaps / colour changes

adam15
19-04-2008, 09:37 AM
As far as the rear shock is concerned have you look at a hagon shock as they are one of the cheaper ones but they also offer custom built shocks to suit your weight and riding style (solo or 2 up). I think a normal shock is about 250 and a custom built one around 300 although i am not sure.
worth a look though as you can visit them and they can explain what they could do for you