PDA

View Full Version : S4R DP decat pipe fitting

Black Ferret
17-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Dose anybody have close up pics of the DP decat pipe fitted to an s4r, or even s2r - not sure if they're different or not?

I'm looking at going back to standard system with decat pipe and cored cans from a full sill system, which uses none of the standard exhaust mount points.

The problem I've got is that, looking at the manual, I don't seem to have any of the standard nuts, bolts, spacers etc that are used for hanging the cat from the engine :banghead: Being as I don't have any of these nuts, bolts etc I can't even work out which if any are re-used in mounting the decat pipe.

Any help would be much appreciated

seby
17-04-2008, 03:37 PM
s2r 800 and s4r (no testastretta till 2006) have same decat
s2r 1000 is different

bigredduke
17-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a decat pipe on mine but it's not a dp one, I think it's a Marving so the mounting points may differ. Happy to take piccies if it helps.

Black Ferret
17-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I have a decat pipe on mine but it's not a dp one, I think it's a Marving so the mounting points may differ. Happy to take piccies if it helps.

Thanks BRD. I'd like to take a look at the mounts. Although I'm resigning myself to the inevitable. I think I need the cat's original hangers, which I don't seem to have.

I'm assuming that because the decat pipe's mount brackets line up like, and are the same distance apart as, the cat's mount brackets it's a straight swap; cat for decat pipe using the cat's rubber mounted hangers which bolt into the engine.

Just a bit miffed at the moment. A main dealer removed the cat and fitted the existing system in 2006. They returned the old system along with a bag of nuts, bolts and mount brackets. All of which was but in a big box under my workbench and hasn't been disturbed until I decided to core my cans a couple of months ago.

It's I can just hear the dealer's spares guy saying "You can't buy them separately. You'll need to buy a new cat". I took the bike in for annual service and MoT. Asked dealer to replace holed headlamp lens. I was told "You can't buy them separately. You'll need to buy a new headlamp". Over £200?!!? Same with brake calliper seals. Was told I needed to buy a new calliper.

Sorry, rant over.

Half Man Half Mole
17-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry I can't help about the pipe.

The headlight - well you CAN just get the lens and replace it. I did it a few weeks back on my S2R. It is the same as a BMW headlight lens and the unit is not too difficult to strip down (and I am a mechanical idiot!). Total cost was about twenty squid or so plus vat, rather than the £195 I was quoted for a new unit.

PM me if you need full details. That should save you a few quid.

Mike

Albie
17-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks BRD. I'd like to take a look at the mounts. Although I'm resigning myself to the inevitable. I think I need the cat's original hangers, which I don't seem to have.

I'm assuming that because the decat pipe's mount brackets line up like, and are the same distance apart as, the cat's mount brackets it's a straight swap; cat for decat pipe using the cat's rubber mounted hangers which bolt into the engine.

Just a bit miffed at the moment. A main dealer removed the cat and fitted the existing system in 2006. They returned the old system along with a bag of nuts, bolts and mount brackets. All of which was but in a big box under my workbench and hasn't been disturbed until I decided to core my cans a couple of months ago.

It's I can just hear the dealer's spares guy saying "You can't buy them separately. You'll need to buy a new cat". I took the bike in for annual service and MoT. Asked dealer to replace holed headlamp lens. I was told "You can't buy them separately. You'll need to buy a new headlamp". Over £200?!!? Same with brake calliper seals. Was told I needed to buy a new calliper.

Sorry, rant over.

Your dealer is screwing over the counter. You can buy any part as long as there is a part no. Nuts and bolts of all sizes. I have got to buy the little grubscrews that hole tank cap in. Not a problem sir !!!

You will have to buy a whole caliper as brembo wont sell you a service kit cos you might c0ck it up and kill yourself

bigredduke
17-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Here we go:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/decatpipe1.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/decatpipe2.jpg

The rear mounting simply bolts directly on to the rh rear of the crankcase. (pic2) Only the pipe from the rear cylinder is fixed, the front pipe is bolted to the rear pipe with a tab on each pipe. (pic 1) Hope this helps.

Gilps
17-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Here's what I remember from taking mine off, nearly three years ago. The standard cat fixes on both sides of the engine. It just bolts on, but the bolts do have a funny rubber washer thingy on them. If they are missing then a dealer should just be able to supply that part.
I fitted the Marving/Spareshack cat eliminator pipes. They only fit on one side of the engine mount - the one under the rear brake lever. If I remember right, I used the original fixings to mount it.
I think that the pukka DP cat removal pipework utilises mounts on both sides, just like the standard cat, and at the same points.
So to refit the original cat you should just bolt it on to the engine mounts, hopefully using the original bolts, washers and rubber bits. There are no separate mounts. Any missing bits should be available from the dealer, but I suspect that they may have done what I did and used the original bits, and as you have a DP pipe you may well find that you already have the necessary parts already fitted to the bike.

Black Ferret
18-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Here we go:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/decatpipe1.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/bigredduke/decatpipe2.jpg

The rear mounting simply bolts directly on to the rh rear of the crankcase. (pic2) Only the pipe from the rear cylinder is fixed, the front pipe is bolted to the rear pipe with a tab on each pipe. (pic 1) Hope this helps.

Thanks BRD

Black Ferret
18-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Here's what I remember from taking mine off, nearly three years ago. The standard cat fixes on both sides of the engine. It just bolts on, but the bolts do have a funny rubber washer thingy on them. If they are missing then a dealer should just be able to supply that part.
I fitted the Marving/Spareshack cat eliminator pipes. They only fit on one side of the engine mount - the one under the rear brake lever. If I remember right, I used the original fixings to mount it.
I think that the pukka DP cat removal pipework utilises mounts on both sides, just like the standard cat, and at the same points.
So to refit the original cat you should just bolt it on to the engine mounts, hopefully using the original bolts, washers and rubber bits. There are no separate mounts. Any missing bits should be available from the dealer, but I suspect that they may have done what I did and used the original bits, and as you have a DP pipe you may well find that you already have the necessary parts already fitted to the bike.

Thanks Gilps. Problem is I don't have the original mount bolts. I'l check with dealer to-day for replacement parts

Half Man Half Mole
18-04-2008, 07:47 PM
This may help you. Just download the relevent file.

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/parts/2008.jhtml;jsessionid=OTDYWMTDUKXCCCRNCB3CFFIKFUIH SIV1?family=parts

Mike