PDA

View Full Version : how to store a bike?

markus
13-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Everythings going a little to pot at the moment...redundancy and personal crap.....and if things carry on this way this wee boy may have to leave travelling again...soooooooooo

How long can you store a bike for without any real detrimental effects (i'd service it and do the belts when i got back anyway) and say if i was to leave for between 12 and 18 months what realistically would i need to do outside of this on my return and what do i need to do to store it safely and properly to minimise anything bad happening to my baby?

If i don't leave this summer i am overdue for another long trip so this info will be great knowledge anyway - thanks guys.

Nickj
13-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Drain the fuel system and run the engine till it dies (gums up else)
Change the oil before storing (used oil goes acidic)
Either over inflate the tyres or put the bike on stands
Battery off, either charged regularly or toss it and get another at re start
Cover with some layup wax or oily clingy waxy stuff
Put away somwhere with a stable temperature.

These seem to be a good idea for medium term layup http://vac-bags.co.uk/bike.htm
I think there's also a long term similar idea that fills the air space in the bag with inert gas.

OR

Let someone who doesn't ride bikes but is a fanatical cleaner look after it

russ77
13-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Here's Ducatisuite's tips for storage, so your bike will be fresh when you get it back out again:
http://www.ducatisuite.com/winterize.html

Capo
13-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Spray it with ACF50

slob
14-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Put it on paddock stands to keep the weight off the tyres and cover it with a breathable dust sheet.

markus
14-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Cheers guys - It's particurly a bad thing............just using it as an opportuntity to get back to asia and Oz/Nz really........though if I'm honest Id like to leave it till the end of the year so lets see what happens.
Good tips tho - thank you

barbican
14-04-2008, 09:11 AM
only thing I would add is after changing the oil, squirt some through the plug holes, and turn the engine over to slosh it obout a bit.

And I would add a vote for the ACF50 stuff

JR
14-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Sell the bike now and buy again when and if you return - depreciation can't be put on hold!

slob
14-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Sell the bike now and buy again when and if you return - depreciation can't be put on hold!

Good advice for a stock bike but M's is lovely custom job that he's made his own.

markus
14-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by JR

Good advice for a stock bike but M's is lovely custom job that he's made his own.

yeah I thought about that - but it'd probably take me a few hundred quid to get it back to close to being standard (minus the paint job and powder coating obviously), i did think of selling it minus all the bolt ons and pc3 etc but to be honest in 18 months the depreciation is going to be what a max of 700 quid is that and then the prices start to level out anyway if you go below 3grand so i don't think it's worth it. I've regretted selling every bike that i no longer own - why continue that now.......when i want a new bike i'll just have 2....then 3.......ooooo and one day lots :)

Thanks for the nice comment Slob :)

neilbaldry
14-04-2008, 09:10 PM
ride it to mine, and i'll put in my garage with mine and my bro's bikes. then, every time i go back to my folks (no longer than 3 weeks) i will start it and run it for you, and give it a good polish. or do it that with anyone you trust whos not too distant to yours.

JMo
15-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Rucksack, toothbrush, creditcard... and take the bike with you!

xxx

15-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I look after it for you .... honestly i really will !! :devil: