PDA

View Full Version : Leathers

Gimley
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Couple of Q's regarding leathers.

1. I would like to do a track day or a training day (half day) on a track and was wondering if you HAVE to have leather riding gear, zip together or 1 piece, or are there days or events where this doesnt matter. Being a shorty I much prefer textile gear as the sizes are better suited.

2. If I had to get leather gear would it be better to go for a standard fit and get it altered or just make do. The only real trouble I have with jackets is that the armour is slightly in the wrong place and digs in making the things uncomfortable to wear. I have looked at sites that offer made to measure but they, in my opinion, are way over the top on prices.
My only other thought is to go for a jacket and remove the armour and wear one of those armour suit type thingies (tech term :chuckle: ) underneath.

What do you guys recon.
By the way I am only 5'3"

Cheers
G

fatbloke
07-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm afraid any track day will insist on either one piece leathers or two
piece that zip all the way round.
I have a similar problem being a short lard arse I tend to get a set of
leathers that sort of fit and then have them altered.
Many of the members on UKMOC will be able to recommend somewhere to
get leathers altered.

ricky
07-04-2008, 06:42 AM
hey great another short arse!!:thumbsup: i too have switched from leather to textile mate, just couldnt get the leathers too fit me right! but more and more places are doin the shorter option now, plus i have seen a few short leg and altered leathers on fleabay so i think its just luck:on: can you wear a textile 2 piece suit if it zips together?

fatbloke
07-04-2008, 06:46 AM
can you wear a textile 2 piece suit if it zips together?
not at any track day I've been to

singletrack
07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Sorry Gimley - full zip together leathers are a must, even for the half day training that California Superbike School/Ride do. The only exception I know of is the Total Confidence Training ( a full day) but that isn't stricly on a track, it's usually done in the paddock area.

As for getting leathers that fit - Hein Gericke do leathers with hiprotec armour which is not as bulky as some others, but still complies to standards.
At the end of the day good fitting leathers are the best option and if you can't find them you can get them altered ( Places like NIne Lives in Farnborough do a very good job).

I suppose another option is to try ladies leathers which are often shorter, but it's not very macho is it?

slob
07-04-2008, 05:22 PM
( Places like NIne Lives in Farnborough do a very good job).

they most certainly do... highly recommended!

9 Lives
13B Morris Road
Northcamp
Farnborogh
GU14 6HJ

Tel: 01252 523232

Gimley
07-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the responses..
Do 9 lives just do basic alterations, like take a bit off the sleeves or a bit off the legs. My only worry is that doing this would still mean that the knee protector for instance will still be below my knees.
Or do they do it properly?

And would they do custom fit leathers and if so any idea how much they charge as I have had a look at Hideaway leathers website and the do custom fit for silly money..

Cheers
G

Just for some info to other shorties out there, I tried a pair of IXS trousers on today and they do a short leg. Fit pretty well. Just couldnt get a jacket to match..

walkingpictures
07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a similar problem being a short lard arse I tend to get a set of
leathers that sort of fit and then have them altered.

Still short and cuddly then Terry?!!!no wonder all the women go for you :) ahem.

Long time no see mate,hope you are doing ok

Kimbo :drunk:

singletrack
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I think RST do short leather trousers too - you could phone Melnie at CMW Chichester. She stocks them and will give you an informed opinion.
CMW Motorcycles (http://www.cmwmotorcycles.com/)

Nine Lives do basic and more detailed alterations. Give them a ring for idea of cost/time etc.

gremlin
07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
We have a couple of places up here too who are reasonable, a mate had full race leathers made quite reasonably and he's only 5'4". I've just got new leathers after a long search, being 5'1" and a girl to boot. Ladies stuff is either too girly or too macho. I just couldn't see myself in pink or baby blue and it would have looked like a psychedelic yawn on a yellow bike. And yes knee protection is usually half way down my shins.

fatbloke
07-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Still short and cuddly then Terry?!!!no wonder all the women go for you :) ahem.

Long time no see mate,hope you are doing ok

Kimbo :drunk:
The only time women go for me its normally with something heavy or sharp!!

Nice to hear from you Kimbo will you make the Weekender?

JerryXt
07-04-2008, 08:10 PM
there's a tall. blonde lady in our area who does things with leather :eek:

Like 9 lives, she does racers leathers and can take bits out from anywhere in the leathers and put it back together again to keep everything in the right places. I'll post her number when I can find it.

Gimley
07-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Lol Gremlin..Thats what a pair of RST's were like when I tried them on today. More like shin pads than knee protection..

Any idea where your mate got them done, web addie or phone number or name would be good..

Cheers ST..might be a nice ride down to chichester once the weather sorts itself out.

Be good if you can get that number for us Jerry.

Cheers

Mighty G ;)

JerryXt
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
so, she (Debbie) is the same person I used a while ago - good quality work. She works with ProTwins in Godstone and Tsunami in Morden down south (she has moved norf somewhere) and will be at Tsunami in the weekend of the 19th I believe. Anyway, work number is:

0114 268 7555

Obviously she has to be present for fittings, but repairs can be mailed to her.

gremlin
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
try www.elmers.co.uk they do bespoke and their stuff is used by TT riders, or acebiker.co.uk. Both are in Norwich. Elmers are by appointment only, they used to have a shop but are now online/telephone only. I wasn't impressed by Ace ladies stuff but they had loads of mens so they are worth a try.

walkingpictures
11-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Nice to hear from you Kimbo will you make the Weekender?

Sorry mate,can't make it for the weekender but will always support this forum and all of the people on here who ride Monsters.

Best wishes from me :thumbsup: