PDA

View Full Version : Crush Washers

billbell
06-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi there,

Newbie to the forum, want to do most of my own servicing and have been getting the gear together to do this.

I keep getting info about replacing the crush washers and understand why but cannot find any info about the size they are.

I have 12mm and 14mm here at the moment for replacing the 10mm allen bolt after draining the oil. I don't want any problems before I start so could someone let me know if I either of these will fit?

dunlop0_1
06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
In the past i have used a copper washer or a fibre washer successfully. The standard washer is a flat aluminium one and if you can get it off with out damaging it you can use it again, (i sand both sides with 400 wet or dry on a flat surface). New is best though and the right size may not matter, but do you want to drain the oil again just to fit the right size washer.

Neil.

johnny k
06-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I got new crush washers for the drain plug and the gauze filter from St Neots Motorcycles and they only cost pennies.

That made a change!

JK:running:

billbell
06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
In the past i have used a copper washer or a fibre washer successfully. The standard washer is a flat aluminium one and if you can get it off with out damaging it you can use it again, (i sand both sides with 400 wet or dry on a flat surface). New is best though and the right size may not matter, but do you want to drain the oil again just to fit the right size washer.

Neil.

Thanks for the info, just bought it and although it's only just done 4,000 miles I don't know what the history is so checking everything through. Just didn't want to drain out oil without packing my parachute first..

I'll look into a copper washer for the next time though cheers...

manwithredbike
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
you'll get copper ones in any car part shop for pennies. they use them for brakes and stuff

Albie
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Ducati dealers charged me around 80p for the 2 aluminium crush washers for the s4. No big rip off imho

Pedro
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Get them from Ducati, they're about 12p each!

The reason not to use old ones is that they loose their ability to be crushed and hence seal. You can re-anneal them if you like but for a few pennies it's not worth the agro