PDA

View Full Version : Got my end stuck

LVC
04-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I've just ordered some bling bar ends for the S4 and thought I would undo the allen key bolts and take off the old original ones in eager anticipation of the new ones arriving. Bolts don't seem to want to turn and I'm worried about rounding off the hex hole :worried: Is there a knack or trick to this or am I going to have to end up drilling them out :on: Any help/suggestions please ....

Scotty
05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
if your replacing them you could heat them to encourage them to come off

start gentle, boiling water sort of idea before you break the blowtorch out

if your worried about using a 25 year old severely worn out hex key buy a new set, they're dirt cheap

tap the end with a hammer

shout a lot , swear

try tightening it to loosen the thread a bit (I don't like this idea much)

it is a steel type bolt in an Aluminium hole so it could have corroded in :(

when I replaced most of the bolts on my bike I ended up with full depth replacement one for the bar ends so they stick out a bit more than the Std ones but do enable a larger area for undoing em should i need to again (uh and stainless so copper slip type grease on them for reassembly)

LVC
05-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Cheers Scotty - what a fountain of knowledge you are :hail:

I followed your advice and found a less used Allen key set for a 1/2" drive socket and as it was a tighter fit in the hole I was less worried about rounding and with a bit of grunting I got the bolts out :D

However, I've now discovered that the bar ends on the S4 are not bar ends as I thought but "bolt on" bar ends rather than "bolt in" and expand. So my bling set which arrived today is a no go :hissy:

Anyone know of any bling (ideally chrome and carbon) bar ends which are suitable for a S4. Off to browse flea bay to see if I can find any :running:

Scotty
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
you wally should have checked first

oberan do some nice things

LVC
05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, guilty as charged :twak:

Before I go make another mistake...who's Oberan and where can I find them - Google points me to "Guild Hall Forums" which doesn't sound very bike orientated :scratch:

Scotty
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
:twak: spelt it wrong

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/

and extra frustration I was sure they did bar end weights, I've see some stainless steel ones somewhere :dunce:

LVC
05-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Ta very much.

Off to get the tissues...........

LVC
16-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Now I officially give up......:booze:

Emailed a nice US supplier of bling bits to check the new bar ends would fit the S4 - yup he said (he is American). Bling duly ordered and arrived today - Nope, don't fit. The bars are threaded and the diameter of the bolt for the original part is too big to go through the new bar end. :Furious:

So unless anyone knows anywhere which actually sells bling bar ends which will go on a S4 I'll leave them standard and buy some new gloves instead - at least they should fit :hissy:

Scotty
16-04-2008, 09:16 PM
drill bigger hole in new bar end ?

Albie
16-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I was going to suggest that.They are only ally or maybe you can bolt on the new with old bolts.

singletrack
17-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Phone oberon ( as above). they are very helpful and may be able to findthe correct part for you.
I ordered new bar ends for my S2R. When they came the bolt was the wrong size. They machined a new one and "Bob's your uncle".

LVC
18-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:

It's not just the diameter of the hole all the way through the original bolt also has a larger head. I might try drilling out the hole and enlarging the resessed one for the head.

The US company have changed their listings now I've told them that they don't fit a S4.

Off to go drill stuff - maybe the S4 be lighter if I drilled a few holes in that fuel tank thingy :freak: