PDA

View Full Version : Converting from new style tray to old style - help req

NattyBoy
04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Has anyone converted there bike from the newer rounded style tea tray to the older square one. My mate wants to do his girlfriends bike.

Have any of you tailchop philistines got a spare plastic square tray they dont need ? lol !

Cheers
Nat

Kato
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Still need to chop a bit of the frame as the tail is longer on the newer frame, also rear lamp mount is different.

Albie
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I have done it the other way around and cant see an issue. I was thinking the same myself but I dont like the bolts showing.
The only thing I found Nat is that the angle of the rear section is at a different angle so the light mounting had to use flexible rubber washer to take up the slack. Is he just putting the tray or the splash/number plate mount as well. Just a case of drilling new holes if they are not in same place. If they are completely out ,cut a piece of thin plate to cover the inside shape of tea tray and fix down with a few rivets then you have a complete new base.

Pedro
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I think I have a couple of early trays, give me a shout and I'll have a look

Albie
04-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Wish I had kept my old one. I dumped it when I moved.

NattyBoy
04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys

Albie - hes bought a tail tidy off ebay and I think hes bought the wrong version (for the older tray) ..but - he wants to bring the indicators in too and obviously with the later tray youve got the mounts for the indicators :>(

He also wants to hide the bolts and wants one of my DP tail grids which tidies it all up (see attached picture of some old nail !!!!)

Nat

Albie
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
yes thats what I thought. I originally only went for the newer look on my m900 as the hi level sils interfered with the indicators and after hacking the mudguard bit it looked rubbish so I changed.

I was thinking of putting old one on as its similar to the shorter dp carbon one.

Im still after a short one and a hugger at some point but will sell my carbon beaver tray.

I also want rid of the indicators.

Scotty
04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
oooh watching with interest, I may need to do this at some point

get a photo when its a done job Natty, please :)

Spike
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Natty do you have any of the carbon tea tray's or any idea who does.