PDA

View Full Version : New chain and sprockets

gjfevans
31-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Got a new chain and both sprockets for the S4 and am thinking of fitting them myself....however I have a limited amount of tools.....spanners, socket set, big hammer, etc, you know the basics.
So any thoughts on if this would be possible or not, level of difficulty, tips and pit falls would be welcome

Scotty
31-03-2008, 09:28 PM
dead easy,

getting the chain to the right length is the only difficult bit I normally pay a shop £5 or something to bray it with the proper riveting tool

drop the closed length over paddock stand before you start

undo the front sprocket retaining plate before you lift the rear off the floor
(or do that in gear)

undo the clutch slave to get the front sprocket off

you may need to hold the back of the sprocket carrier pegs with an Allen key to undo the nut on the other side

and wd40 a like if the front sprocket is a bit stubborn

gjfevans
01-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Cheers for that, I got a standard chain and sprocket set off e bay a while ago so it should be the correct length already leaving a simple bit of spanner work by the sounds of it

sadbiker
01-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Count the amount of links on your original chain... This is ducati we are talking about.

My local dealer got it wrong for my other halfs 620 once and we ended up 2 links 2 short. Couldn't stretch it enough to fit.. But they were good enought to sort it and swapped it with a gold did xring (was fitting a did o-ring).

Albie
01-04-2008, 09:24 PM
You are so lucky you can do it off the bike. I had to borrow GT's link joiner tool as s4r has to go through the swinger. It was easy enough though. Mine was 104 links.

gjfevans
02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=sadbiker;248011]Count the amount of links on your original chain... This is ducati we are talking about.

Good point thanks for that

sadbiker
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=sadbiker;248011]Count the amount of links on your original chain... This is ducati we are talking about.

Good point thanks for that

It was very frustating as we looked at 3 different chain manufacturer catolgues and they were all different. Only sure way as we learnt to our mistake is to count the link on the original. Not that we were complaining when our local dealer ordered the better spec chain and wouldn't charge any extra. My missus was so chuft now her bike has some bling.........

gjfevans
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
So thought I would do my chain and sprockets tonight...everything came off very easily, back wheel, rear sprocket, clutch slave cylinder, front sprocket, then I realised I had to undo two allen screws on the rear hugger..............................two hours later and one snapped and one badly twisted allen key I still have one screw to undo but this is now totally rounded and will need cutting / drilling / chiseling out:nash:
Why is there always one, usualy little thing, that totally buggers up your plan

Yorkie
08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Id never use DID again, a couple of bad experiences, snapping at speed!!

Yorkie.

russ77
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I seem to remember having to detach the hoop thing too, which meant I had to get my dad to lift the subframe to take the weight off the swing arm too. Does the S4 not have one?

It was one of those jobs that looks lovely and simple until you start to hit those setbacks. Bleedin' cheapo fasteners. I hope you've not missed too much of this glorious weather as a result!