PDA

View Full Version : 600 cush drive changing

tonny006
24-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I have just removed my rear wheel to find out that all the cush drive rubbers are totally shagged.
Can someone tell me what sort of job they are?
Do the new ones come with a steel collar round them or are they just a rubber?

Pedro
24-03-2008, 09:12 PM
these can be a right sh*t to change to be honest!

If you're lucky they'll pull out with a bit of brute force, if not, you'll have to cut them.

Nickj
24-03-2008, 10:04 PM
As Pedro says they can be a little tough to remove, he may be underestimating their tenacity a tad. I'd heard tales of jigs and 2 ton bottle jacks to get them out and that a good dose of :Furious: was also helpful.
My experience is that's about right, one virtually fell out leaving me thinking :chuckle: hey no sweat, the rest were shall we say less fun. Some welded angle iron and a scissor jack did the biz.

Pedro
24-03-2008, 10:42 PM
As Pedro says they can be a little tough to remove, he may be underestimating their tenacity a tad. I'd heard tales of jigs and 2 ton bottle jacks to get them out and that a good dose of :Furious: was also helpful.
My experience is that's about right, one virtually fell out leaving me thinking :chuckle: hey no sweat, the rest were shall we say less fun. Some welded angle iron and a scissor jack did the biz.

No under estimation here! I've done three sets in the last two years and they were all sh*ts!

The scissor jack thing is well known..... as is a diamond bit in a dremel to cut the buggers out!

tonny006
25-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the replys guys,
shame i don't live close to any of you two as you both sound experienced in doing them!

Shandy
25-03-2008, 07:36 PM
There also good fun to do.......you get to use fire if your lucky........have a look here.......

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23763&highlight=cush+drive

Cheers,

Shandy

tonny006
25-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Cheers Shandy,
not sure about the flying bricks though.
How does the metal spacer work as the hole at the back is smaller than the cush its self.
does it not just pull the rubber out and leave the steel callar.

Shandy
25-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I found a few pictures that were on a thread some time ago, i think that thread was lost in an interweb meltdown.

You have to carefully wind tension on to the inner steel collar and stretch the rubber up to put tension on the outside steel collar.........

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/Picture004-1.jpg

........then apply a little heat to the wheel with a blow torch around the cush drive hole and pop they should come out......

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/Picture005-2.jpg

........worst case the rubber tears/splits and you have to grind the outer collar out with a dremmel type thing, you're in fingers crossed land with them really........

Good luck,

Shandy

tonny006
25-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I think i am going to have trouble as only 1 still has the steel inner collar.
Lots of grinding i think.

Nickj
25-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Unless the rubber is shot to sh*t the collars should come out at the same time, they're an integral part so the rubbers poured into them effectively gluing it all together.
As you see from the pics its just a matter of applying a bit of force in a straight line up.
Oh dont' stand directly over the top while doing this as they can suddenly poinggggg out which will make you jump!!

Nickj
25-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Might be ok if you bend up a puller as above, get as wide a washer as you can on the top and bottom of the rubber, wang some nuts on to compress it so it'll hold the outer nice and firmly and wind up the pressure

gremlin
25-03-2008, 08:56 PM
a little tip, that also works with all tappered bearings (in the headstock as especially )
remove as much rubber as possible, and run a bead of mig weld around the inside. be quick so you dont melt the ally, and they should just fall out. thats assuming you have access to a mig. i have done this many times on a certain yamaha bike that has the same cush drive set up

Mr G

tonny006
26-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone,
check out the link below and let me know what you think of this method.
I was a bit boared tonight and found it on another forum.
I believe it is by scotty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wZWvjb-Ec